Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E130 42” with mulching attachment. I’ve got messed with this all summer and can’t get it right. It measures perfectly fine in my garage but the day after I mow it looks like this. I hope the pictures show. I always mow back and forth in a different direction each time. Drives my neighbors crazy. Any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to look worse the nex day. If one side was low it should be every other pass shouldn’t it?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,260 Posts
You did not mention if you followed the steps in the Operators Manual in section 30(click here → Checking and Adjusting Mower Deck Level). :dunno:

When they state, "Make sure machine is on a flat, level surface", they mean Level Concrete.

After that, the proper Tire Inflation is key. It's very important.

Print this page and follow each step in order. Check-off each step as it's done.

If all steps are followed and the cut is still not correct, check for loose hardware(nuts/bolts) on the frame.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Go measure your freshly cut grass and adjust accordingly lol.

But for real. Like flyweight said. LEVEL concrete.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Actually do you have 4' or 6' carpenter level to check your floor? The section of floor where you want to measure left to right and front to back:

__|__ Then across diagonally too X
> |

You have to find a spot big enough for the tractor and deck where the level meets the concrete floor all the way, when checked with the level in those 4 directions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
looks like a bent blade

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
My garage floor is probably pretty level. Not sure what u guys mean by level
Lots of garages around here are on an incline to keep water out if rain Or water makes it past the door

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
What are you using to check the blade tip height.Measure the blade tip height at the side,spin that blade to measure the other tip.That'll let you know if it is bent do the same on the other.
If you had them off to sharpen check to make sure they are tight.How low do you mow,are the gauge/scuff wheels even on both sides.They should be 1/8 to 1/4 off the ground at your mow height.If one is lower than the other when you lower your deck to mow that will throw it off too.
After you check one side and get it level and you go to the other and level that you have to go back and recheck the other and back again.Moving the adjustment a few turns on one side and then the other will throw off the first side some.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I gotta disagree with you guys on needing a level floor. Unless your floor is 100% flat, a level, 6 foot or 6 inch, is going to rest on the highest 2 points. You could still have a 1/2" dip/low area in your floor and show "level"...and if you happen to be measuring from that dip !!! Flat, not level, is the key word. Bob

·
Registered
92 Posts
Floor doesn't need to be level, just flat where you park it so you get good measurements. Set your gauge wheels 1/4" to 1/2" off floor when lowered to mowing height.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I'd lower the deck to the height you mow at and then check it. It can be right it the full up position but not when you lower it to mowing height. :dunno:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I mow a setting 3 which is where I measured the deck and blades. Maybe I’ll try moving the wheels. Tomorrow I’m going to pull the deck off and check everything out with the blades.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bent deck?

Maybe one of the spindles is cockeyed?
+1

I had a similar issue, the spindles on my deck were significantly out of alignment and never could get a decent cut out of it. The deck was abused by the PO. I finally replaced the deck this year and the quality of cut is night and day. My lawn now looks like carpet after a cut.

You should be able to rotate the blades to see if the tips line up by looking under the deck.

Not sure of the deck you have but you most likely can do a quick check by taking the covers off and placing a torpedo level on spindle sheaves to see if the pulleys are in the same plane. You are not checking for level, but to see if the the bubble on the level is in the same spot on each sheave. You would want to check front to back as well as side to side.

As an aside, I also double cut my lawn most of the year which does improve the final appearance of the lawn and will mask the issue to some extent.

·
Registered
796 Posts
When I said use a level, it should be used as a straight edge to locate the flattish, truely level part of the concrete floor or drive (ie no lower spots, dips etc) that can throw off the tip measurements.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts