Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is embarrassing... I am trying to install bolt on tie down parts I bought online. The front pair bolt on to my 1023e side grill bolts. I tried a wrench and my strongest electric screwdriver and can’t move the bolts at all .. I do see there’s a nut on the other side of the bolt those aren’t moving either .. any suggestions would be awesome thanks

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Those grill guard bolts are typically very tight. If you don't have access to an impact wrench the only other thing that usually works is a long breaker bar. If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby you can get a decent long breaker bar for a very reasonable price.

I would recommend the 25" version. Also, use a good 6-point socket to avoid rounding the heads of the bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Reactions: Tomfive

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Use a two foot pipe to slide on the end of your ratchet as a breaker bar and a box wrench on the nut.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,129 Posts
Sometimes JD uses a nut to lock the bolt from turning out of a threaded hole.

Reactions: JD4044M and Tomfive

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Hammer

Poor Mans Impact Wrench hit the wrench end with a hammer to break it loose. Can't count how many times I have done this to break loose a tight bolt too.
Usually a good push on the wrench/breaker bar and moderate tapping with the hammer works wonders. It's actually better than the long pipe as there is less chance of wringing a bolt off, although that's not always a bad thing. I don't mind wringing a bolt too much as long as it's something I can easily replace. Wringing a stud off is something I really try to avoid- that's just too much trouble.

Soaking the bolt nut in a good penetrating oil for a day or so also sometimes works wonders.

Treefarmer

Reactions: JD4044M and Tomfive

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
got a breaker bar but still couldn’t turn the bolt , then I used a 18mm box wrench to loosen the nut and the bolt just slid out. Thanks for all your suggestions.
For what it's worth... as you ultimately discovered, when you have a tight bolt/nut combination it usually always works best to try to loosen the nut while holding the bolt as opposed to loosening the bolt.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
got a breaker bar but still couldn’t turn the bolt , then I used a 18mm box wrench to loosen the nut and the bolt just slid out. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Glad it turned out OK.

If it's a bolt into a threaded hole, you have no choice but to turn the bolt, but if there is a nut attached, I always go for the nut first. I believe there is less friction holding on to the nut and threads are accessible for penetrating oil. Somehow with stuck bolts, twisting off the head happens more often than twisting off the end of a bolt with a nut, but either can happen.

6 point box or socket over 12 point, and I use open end wrenches only for snugging up and final tightening/initial loosening with a box or socket. But sometimes you gotta use whatever fits.

Worst feeling is just as the bolt head/nut twists off, breaking the bolt. I think that everyone who turns wrenches know that sinking feeling.:banghead: By then it's too late to add more penetrating oil and let sit longer. :laugh:

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Had a hard time busting the Budd Lug Nuts loose on my 1948 Power wagon there like a 1 1/2" Lug Nut and after 20 years or so on they seem to just weld on the stud and rim. It got so bad I took my Lug Bar with the socket that fit them and put my floor jack under it. Raised the truck off the ground on the end of the bar! Still did not break loose so I jumped up and down in the bed. Nope but what did work was while the truck was up I wacked the end of the socket with a BF Hammer and the shock broke the rust loose. Yes I had used pentatrating oil, impact tool that did 300 lbs plus and heat! Some times you just have to break out the Big Hammer to get stuff off!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cycling an impact gun on and off repeatedly will help break loose a stubborn fastener.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I did solve Tight Lug Nut Problems I bought this Tool!

This Torque Multiplier Wrench Set uses gear reduction to help you loosen and remove lug nuts by hand. It is compatible with nearly every heavy duty vehicle, including semi-trucks, RVs, tractors, buses and more. It is capable of generating up to "4800 pounds of torque", allowing you to remove lug nuts without the use of power tools. This convenient set comes with a carrying case that makes transportation easy and safe. A perfect and economical way for do it yourself projects such as changing tires on your car, truck or RV.

● Suitable for Trucks, Buses, RVs and Other Heavy Duty Vehicles
● Extended torque ideal for hard-to-turn bolts
● Free four sockets for deep wheel wells
● 3.9" long rocking bar is wrapped with rubber foam for better hang grip
● Storage Type: Blue Blow-molded case

No problem busting a lug nut or other bolts with this set up on big rims! It comes off or the Lug Nut comes off stud and all! Lug Wrench.jpg Lug tool.jpg https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS5&_nkw=Torque+Multiplier+Wrench+&_sacat=0

I also have one of these 4 ft long 3/4" Drive 600 ft lb Torque Bars to check my Loader Bolts and other big ones on my tractor with. Tork Wrench.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,129 Posts
Easily the worse joke anyone could ever play on you....
I know of two locations on the 2320, the hydrostatic pedals and the joystick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts