Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking at the Country Manufacturing (CMI) model 8300 2 ton capacity dump wagon. It has a spot to mount a 2-4" bore hydraulic cylinder for the dump, the stroke is 24" .

I'm curious if a T off from my 1025R artillian diverter will supply enough hydraulic flow and pressure to offer full dump on this 4 ft x 8 ft dump wagon with 2 ton capacity. ???

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I haven't actually done this myself but I'm thinking it would easily handle that. At 1000 psi you would need around a 2.5 diameter cylinder to dead lift 4000 lbs with fluid entering the end of the cylinder with the rod in it, and around 4800 lbs on the other end.Providing the rod diameter was around 1 inch.

I would suspect the diverter was capable of supplying the limited flow capacity of the 1 series hydraulic pump. One consideration would be reservoir capacity. You would need to know how much force was needed to dump a max load and pick the smallest diameter cylinder that would provide it at system pressure for the fastest cycle time and least fluid exhaustion.

I don't know with these dumps if you have mechanical advantage or disadvantage where they mount the cylinders. The cylinder I mentioned above would be capable of dead lifting two tons. It may be overkill...

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
That is a tough question.

1st guess with a 4”cylinder yes. Someone else can confirm but I think that tractor has 2500psi. Flow is not a big concern as it would just affect speed of dumping. You would need to contact them to see what diameter cylinder they have used to do this and the pressure. It all depends on where at at what angle the cylinder is mounted as well as where the load is on the trailer. A cylinder has very little push when the trailer is down because it is trying to push towards the back until it reaches 45 degrees where it starts having real pushing up power.

Should you try this. Probably not. On my 14K dump as it goes up and is pivoting off the back it will start to pick up the hitch on my F-250SD. I do not stand in between the trailer and truck because if it is slippery between the picking up force and the load hitting the ground and wanting to slide out I have had the truck slide forward a couple times. Maybe only a foot or so but if it reaches me before that 1’ I wont stop it.

On a small tractor I would worry about it really picking it up off the ground and nothing good is going to happen then. The wagon might be a better choice as it eliminates this.

I see Mr. JEFF was posting at the same time. His points are good, use a double acting cylinder and then the diameter becomes irrelevant as fluid is returned as it is going in the other end of the cylinder. Bigger diameter will be slower though.

Google. hydraulic cylinder mounting angle calculation
There is a lot of good information describing how the starting angle of the cylinder affects lift.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking at the Country Manufacturing (CMI) model 8300 2 ton capacity dump wagon. It has a spot to mount a 2-4" bore hydraulic cylinder for the dump, the stroke is 24" .

I'm curious if a T off from my 1025R artillian diverter will supply enough hydraulic flow and pressure to offer full dump on this 4 ft x 8 ft dump wagon with 2 ton capacity. ???

Of course it will. The more important question is "Will it provide enough flow to lift it in a reasonable amount of time?". I think you'll find that you need at least 1.5 GPM at a minimum to operate the trailer. Anything less than that and it will be painfully slow. I'm not sure what the flow rate is through the diverter on a 1025R.

You also need to figure out if that wagon weighs enough to allow it to drop back down just on gravity or if you'll need to use a double acting cylinder.

You'll also need to verify that the cylinder itself is compatible with the hydro fluid in your tractor. The cylinder on mine was very specific that it was only to be used with DEXRON II fluid. No DEXRON III, no Hyguard, no generic hydro fluids...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course it will. The more important question is "Will it provide enough flow to lift it in a reasonable amount of time?". I think you'll find that you need at least 1.5 GPM at a minimum to operate the trailer. Anything less than that and it will be painfully slow. I'm not sure what the flow rate is through the diverter on a 1025R.

You also need to figure out if that wagon weighs enough to allow it to drop back down just on gravity or if you'll need to use a double acting cylinder.

You'll also need to verify that the cylinder itself is compatible with the hydro fluid in your tractor. The cylinder on mine was very specific that it was only to be used with DEXRON II fluid. No DEXRON III, no Hyguard, no generic hydro fluids...
Interesting. Maybe I would be better off getting an electrical hydraulic cylinder and not using the tractor's hydraulic.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I think you will be very happy with using a 2 or 2.5" cylinder to lift your wagon. I've been trying to convince Levi to do this since he got his wagon.

If you are wondering about flow and cylinder speed, just use the loader (and or backhoe) as an example. In my opinion, you will want the wagon to dump MUCH more slowly than these functions.
So, you should be fine.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts