Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought an old Oliver 565 3-16 semi mounted plow. Christy isn't so happy about this decision, but she went along with it!

Anyway, we used it to plow up a portion of our yard for a garden.
I hope you enjoy the video.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Good plow

Those were good plows. We had a 4-14 Oliver semi-mounted and still have a 5-16 although it hasn't been used in probably 20 years. A little tricky to set them up but once set, they are really good plows. I liked the 14" for heavy sod like you are plowing as it seemed to break up sod slightly better but of course you gave up width.

That's also some nice, black top soil. It should grow anything you want to grow.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
13,869 Posts
Great video Tim, nice to see older equipment working. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Well this is slightly bigger than the 1 series I always see you shooting videos with! :greentractorride:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yup, thanks for the video. Fun too watch.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
:munch:i just can't get over how in ur area u have no rocks in the ground so to speak.:unknown:still i loved seeing u plowing, and the ability to relive ur younger days as a kid plowing.:laugh:

when i sweep grass here -i think back to when we loaded hay loose onto a hay wagon, and used a hay fork in the barn with the tractor then.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this is slightly bigger than the 1 series I always see you shooting videos with! :greentractorride:
Yes, our 'fleet' has grown significantly this season. AHW LLC (Deere dealer in central IL/IN) reached out to us as a partner. They have subsidized a rental of three units (5075e, 2038r, and 835M HVAC Gator) for one year. We are still paying a significant amount to rent these machines, but they are picking up the bulk of the cost. At the end of the year, we have the opportunity to purchase.

We thought it was worth it to be able to show some different tractors on our channel.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
How long did it take to get your Wife to understand it was going to be a nice garden and easy to till up with the Plow. I like the way it turns the soil over bet it would make a nice wildfire break in a field fast. So now you got your work cut out to get that ready for little tiny carrot and salad seeds and rows of string stretched out. My wife just got the weeds off the top of ours. I could plant it the way it is except bunny dirt time poured over the top and tilled in. Got this 6 ft 4" 190 lb kid who will run the tiller for me. Easy for him I built the garden and it is soft down 12 inches easy with a fork. 100_1146.JPG

Enjoy your new garden you have some nice soil and we want up/dates on the other equipment you use to finish it for seed. You could make a pretty Big Garden with that equipment and field that nice.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long did it take to get your Wife to understand it was going to be a nice garden and easy to till up with the Plow. I like the way it turns the soil over bet it would make a nice wildfire break in a field fast. So now you got your work cut out to get that ready for little tiny carrot and salad seeds and rows of string stretched out. My wife just got the weeds off the top of ours. I could plant it the way it is except bunny dirt time poured over the top and tilled in. Got this 6 ft 4" 190 lb kid who will run the tiller for me. Easy for him I built the garden and it is soft down 12 inches easy with a fork. Nice soil! View attachment 686958 Enjoy your new garden and we want up/dates on the other equipment you use to finish it for seed.
We're lazy ... or we don't have the time (whichever sounds worst) to plant and tend the small vegetables. We have settled on sweet corn because it is a one time harvest.

We usually have some potatoes too, but not this season. Got a late start due to rain, and simply don't have enough energy to get it done. Our move last December is still wearing us down. Seems like so many things to fix, organize, build, etc.

We tilled the garden this week. It was an adventure. We hope to get some video posted within the next week or so.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
It is my wife who has the energy to do the garden were still eating stuff from it last year plus the dogs get there veggies for a long time too. We have had a big garden for the last 34 years it is normal to do one now. I like the feeling of growing our own food and raising our meat. Food is not a problem around here just me getting to eat a lot of it!

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Great video Tim, nice to see older equipment working. :thumbup1gif:
What do you mean "older" equipment? I remember when semi-integral plows took the market from trailer plows. That couldn't have been more that 60 years ago. After writing that and doing the arithmetic, I know what you mean by older equipment.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
I did not watch the video :hide: My internet connection is too SLOW :flag_of_truce:

I am thinking you were able to do that in 2wd.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not watch the video :hide: My internet connection is too SLOW :flag_of_truce:

I am thinking you were able to do that in 2wd.
Uhoh! You need more internet! Didn't even try 2wd. It took every ounce of power the tractor had, but I had no issues with traction.

Tim

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have an open station 75E with a 520M, a 12 foot amco disk with new blades, it would just spin in 2 wheel. Pulls it fine in 4wd, not something I would want to pull all day either. You can watch the fuel gauge drop haha.. 17 gallons isn't enough.. I can burn that in less than a day..

I really think I should fill my rear tires.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an open station 75E with a 520M, a 12 foot amco disk with new blades, it would just spin in 2 wheel. Pulls it fine in 4wd, not something I would want to pull all day either. You can watch the fuel gauge drop haha.. 17 gallons isn't enough.. I can burn that in less than a day..

I really think I should fill my rear tires.
Even WITH the cab, it is too light in the rear. I agree. Fill the tires. Unfortunately, I can’t do that due to the loaded weight on my truck/trailer. I’m right on the edge of CDL (26,000) as it is!

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Uhoh! You need more internet! Didn't even try 2wd. It took every ounce of power the tractor had, but I had no issues with traction.

Tim
I pulled a 3 bottom with the 2030, but it had loaded tires & 220lbs of wheel weights on each rear wheel (2 110lb each side) .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Even WITH the cab, it is too light in the rear. I agree. Fill the tires. Unfortunately, I can’t do that due to the loaded weight on my truck/trailer. I’m right on the edge of CDL (26,000) as it is!
Tim, I'm not sure if they enacted the "Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21)" in your state, but in GA you can sign up for this and can pull over 26,000LBS in the state or 150miles from your Farm outside of the state. Every state is different, but I would look into if you state has it or not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts