Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does this look like an old John Deere rotary cutter or just something painted green? Interested in knowing the model and guestimate of age. Any info?

Guy has it for sale. Says it's a JD but no tag on it. Five foot wide.

I'm looking for one that size for very limited use. Price isn't bad and is negotiable if I can still get parts if needed.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,790 Posts
Body style(squared off rear corners) does not loo like a Deere product.
Gearbox does not look to be a Deere product.
Support chair on 3rd point does not look to be something Deere would incorporate.

I'm not saying it's a Bush Hog brand or a FORD brand, but at some time they did utilize a chain on the 3rd point and squared rear corners. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I believe it is “something painted green”. if it rotates successsfully, I’d get a new PTO shaft, change the gear box oil (does it have any now?), sharpen or replace blades and you’re in business.

Taking another look at the picture, there is no hole in the deck to remove the blade bolts! Could be a problem.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If the PTO shaft is in good condition you can buy a guard for it quite easily. I sharpen the blades on my brush cutters and grooming mower with the blades still mounted on the machine. I raise the cutter, block all four corners and use a 4" hand grinder to sharpen the blades with. You could also cut a hole in the deck with a torch or a hole saw if you really wanted to get at the blade to stump jumper bolts easily, or drop the stump jumper with the blades still attached.
It looks like some rust around the deck where the gear box sits. Check this area for cracks which may have developed from the gear box to deck bolts having loosened up which could wear the holes in the deck oblong and making it nearly impossible to ever keep the bolts tight. This is repairable with welding a reinforcement plate to the deck and drilling some new holes but takes some skill and time as well as a welder and a drill with large drill bits.
Do check under the deck around the gear box for signs of fluid leaks. If you see fluid it's usually an indication a bearing is going bad and the seal is getting worn from the bad seal. Be sure there is fluid in the box. If the fluid is low or gone, walk away.
I think the only thing John Deere about this cutter is the color of the paint but at the right price it might be made usable with a little handiwork, time and a few dollars
My offer for it would be in the 250 to 300 dollar range at the most. Otherwise go to TSC or somewhere else and buy a new one along with four or five rattle cans of JD color match green paint. It'll make your neighbors jealous and easier to sell when you get ready to. LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.