Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a decent tow-behind broadcast spreader? It seems like everything shares the same reviews... cheap gears, poorly designed metering gates, on/off levers that won't stay in position, etc. I'm looking for something around 175 lbs capacity or so. Agri-Fab seems to get mixed reviews. It appears they OEM them for some John Deere spreaders. Does anyone have any experience with the Frontier spreaders like the SS1022B? Are they also based on Agri-Fab running gear? Are they any better? I would hope so as they cost around $700 compared to $250-300 for the better grade Agri-Fab units.

I don't mind paying a bit more for something that is truely built better and will last longer.

·
Administrator
18,802 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I have been looking at spreaders myself. Doesn't seem to be anything in between the box store plastic junk and the spreaders meant for commercial use.:unknown: KK makes pull behind spreader for ATV's. It sells for $800 or so. More than I'd like to spend, but I may get one next year. :unknown:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Been using the JD Model # LPBS36JD lawn fert spreader for 2yrs now. great accuracy and works well. 175# 3.5 cu ft. used it for 10,000# so far. I had a herd model#92 made for seed, that didn't work well spinner was too fast.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an AgriFab tow behind and I think it tends to spread to the right. The lever is hard to reach to turn on when connected to the plate under the PTO and essentially can't reach to turn off even in a hard turn. If you leave the 3pt arms on they will knock the unit over if you make a hard turn. So I think I need to get a drawbar and tow from that, but that means rigging a pulley and rope to operate the lever. PVC pipe assembly over the lever to make it reachable might work too. Or maybe even a lawn mower throttle cable? If I do come up with a solution to the lever control I think the AgriFab would be 'good enough' for what I need. The expensive tweak is 12VDC electric actuator but what I have seen takes 10 seconds to full range so I'm not ready to spend on that option yet. Tractor Time with Tim had a tow-behind spreader video a couple years ago and showed all the same issues.

I've begun to think the better approach is a 3 pt tow hitch attachment then get a hitch mounted electric spreader although the bigger ones start to approach the bottom of PTO driven 3pt spreaders (PTO driven $600 at TSC, less 10% neighbor discount if you can). But PTO drive may spread over 40 ft width in a pass so they need some room to work and are poorly suited around the flower beds. Also you have to watch your speed with electric or PTO drive to get the proper application rate. Some of the ATV mount electric drive spreaders still have the lever control on the unit and hard to reach from a tractor. Pickup mount spreaders may avoid that.

There are also ATV rack-mount electric that might work on a carry-all for example but you have to check out if the lever control is reachable. The lever seems to be the biggest headache as material usually keeps dumping through if it is open. Really good low-cost SCUT size options don't seem to exist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts