Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our walkout basement door needs new brick molding before I hang our new storm door with integrated doggie door on it. It stays pretty damp back there and the molding is rotten at the bottom. Looks like the repair has been done before and I'll repeat it, but want to use PVC materials for the repair + replace the whole brick molding with PVC.

z-642MdaUoi5TJYAqKXM-Wdhi_17x7sEUa-gJd86w48U6D1_vyM6y-7uhr6xtx13xneUH0ZD7bj93pi2Qdz3CZmHMl2vu9Lb.jpg

If I do the fix with PVC, will there be any issues hanging a storm door on it? This is the door:

092304120485.jpg

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LARSON-White-High-View-Wood-Core-Storm-Door-Common-36-in-x-81-in-Actual-35-75-in-x-79-875-in/50374418

My internet research has turned up the following answers to my question:

• Yes you can
  • No you can not
  • Ask the manufacturer
  • What's pvc brick molding

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
Yes you can, IF the brick mold is attached well-with screws preferably.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We do it all the time. Yes is the answer. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Before you do it- Check for rot carefully on the main door frame/jamb legs. Good chance that has rot in it also. If its questionable you should really change out the entire installation with tear out the old completely & install a new pre hung unit.

I'm not a big fan of Larson storm doors. They generally have a frame sagging issue (the door itself) over time. So if your going to hang the door off the PVC brick mold, I would really make sure that your molding is well secured as stated earlier. And if the door sees a lot of people opening it & closing it fully back to its hinges, you might start to see the mounting hardware walk its way out from the PVC. This is just my opinion from my own experience with the same issue on a side entrance garage door.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before you do it- Check for rot carefully on the main door frame/jamb legs. Good chance that has rot in it also. If its questionable you should really change out the entire installation with tear out the old completely & install a new pre hung unit.

I'm not a big fan of Larson storm doors. They generally have a frame sagging issue (the door itself) over time. So if your going to hang the door off the PVC brick mold, I would really make sure that your molding is well secured as stated earlier. And if the door sees a lot of people opening it & closing it fully back to its hinges, you might start to see the mounting hardware walk its way out from the PVC. This is just my opinion from my own experience with the same issue on a side entrance garage door.
Thanks for the advice. It's got a solid wood core, so hopefully it won't sag. This storm door is a trial to see how the girls do with a doggie door, so I want to patch things up and reevaluate in the spring. If I find a lot of rot, the whole thing will get replaced. After the doggie door trial, it may all get replaced anyway no matter what I find. We'd like a little time to decide.

·
Registered
184 Posts
For screws a great option is Cortex. They come with a bit that countersinks the screws and preps for plugs to fill the hoe. The plugs are provided with the screws.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the advice. It's got a solid wood core, so hopefully it won't sag. This storm door is a trial to see how the girls do with a doggie door, so I want to patch things up and reevaluate in the spring. If I find a lot of rot, the whole thing will get replaced. After the doggie door trial, it may all get replaced anyway no matter what I find. We'd like a little time to decide.
I never recommend wood core storm doors. They will always manage to suck up water and they are heavy. Chamber makes an all aluminum storm and are worth the extra $. Larson also makes comparable all aluminum models. Put the dog door in the wall if you can and go with an aluminum storm.

Cortex is a composite fastener designed for decking but would work well in pvc. We also use aluminum brick mold wrap that works well as long as the miters and threshold are sealed. That's what my entry doors have and are 10 years old with zero issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts