Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 John Deere 1023e
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

New here as I just traded my larger new holland tc 33d for a 2018 JD 1023e to be a better match for my smaller new property.
My question is about lift capacity and possibly ramifications if I exceed it for a very small move.
I have an old 80” snowblower that didn’t go with the TC when I sold it. I have the larger blower up on Kijiji (like craigslist up here in Canada) and I’m concerned about getting it moved when I sell it, onto a buyers trailer.
From what I’ve found searching around the 3pt hitch capacity at 24” is around 680lbs and my blower is likely around 700lbs. Wondering if anyone has ever done a very small move with a load at or exceeding this limit and how it went. Would love any warnings or of success stories.
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!
cheers!

·
Premium Member
12,973 Posts
I don't think you would damage anything lifting it with the 3 point hitch. If it will, it will and if it won't, it won't.

The bigger issue might be lift height. The limited Cat 1 may not lift it high enough to get up the ramps onto the trailer. Shorten the top link as much as you can.

You will need some ballast on the front though. Do you have a FEL on the 1023?

If you do have a FEL, you could probably lift the blower with straps - IF you have enough ballast for the back of the tractor.

Enough ballast at the opposite end of the tractor is the most important thing to have.

·
Registered
903 Posts
If you have access to an electric winch, maybe you could winch it up a set of ramps onto a trailer or truck bed.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I agree with the posts above. Try it with the 3pt or FEL. If that doesn't work get creative with a winch and pulley.

·
Premium Member
18,942 Posts
Or if no winch or pulley ,, chains or tow straps and drag it on the trailer with the 1023.

·
Registered
26,832 Posts
Or if no winch or pulley ,, chains or tow straps and drag it on the trailer with the 1023.
That’s what I did when loading a car with a dead engine once. I pulled my truck at a 45deg angle to the trailer. Then the guy had a small tractor - ran a tow strap to the car over the deck of the trailer - pulled it right on no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
If you can’t lift it high enough, drag it under a good size tree limb. Go to Harbor Frieght, get you a cheap winch and pulley. Pull it up in the air and back the trailer or truck underneath it.

·
Premium Member
2019 1025R TLBM
327 Posts
I don't know, personally, I'd be real nervous about backing my truck under 700 lbs of equipment supported by a tree limb. If the limb goes mid lift, there's also a lot of stored energy in the winch line that has to go somewhere. Plus you're trusting the clutch on a 'cheap' winch to hold a vertical load.

I know it's only a one time thing, but the laws of physics don't pay that much mind...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I sold my woodchipper...that plus forks was about 720 lbs. I lifted it into the buyer's trailer with my 1023E.....would have reached the bed of his pickup truck. It struggled, but it did it. Don't try it without rear ballast.

My approach is that if my tractor can lift it then it's OK to lift. Why don't you just try it? You won't hurt it.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Save yourself the angst and worry and drive the 1023e out to the blower with the pallet forks and give lifting it a try. It does help to have the engine above 2,500 rpms for maximum pump pressure and lift opportunity.

I have lifted items that heavy numerous times with pallet forks. Rear ballast equal to or exceeding the same weight is strongly recommended to avoid machine / axle damage.

It either will lift it, or it won't. Make sure to try to curl lift it if a regular vertical lift doesn't work. At least with a curl lift, you could position it where it could be winched or loaded some other way.

One way or another, you will find a way to get it loaded. Who knows, maybe the buyer will show up with their tractor and load it on their machine to get it back to their place.

I would want to know if lifting it was going to be a problem before I listed it for sale or at least, before a serious buyer shows up. It's better the buyer be prepared to take delivery if you are unable to lift it than risk having the buyer show up and you can't pick it up and you lose the sale.

When people want something badly enough, they are usually pretty creative in getting it loaded. If you are unable to lift it to load it, I would simply state that in the sales listing so they can be prepared to deal with taking possession of it.

Reactions: Aggressorblue

·
Premium Member
2019 1025R TLBM
327 Posts
Why don't you just try it? You won't hurt it.
I think thats what the OP is trying to confrim, that the tractor just simply wont lift what it cant lift, vice something ‘breaking’ if its beyond load capacity.

That said, I agree 100% with @SulleyBear. First try to lift the ‘easy way’ with a ballasted 1023, and failing at that let buyer know they need to show up with a solution.

·
Registered
26,832 Posts
I lifted something a little too heavy onto a trailer once. I could lift it high enough with my forks but didn’t feel comfortable moving at all when it was lifted. So I lifted and had the guy back his trailer under it - easy and safe enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts