Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can rent a Frontier CA1060 Aerator from a local rental place. The spec sheet states that a 30hp tractor is required. Any thoughts on trying this with my 1025R? I think if I take my time and use less than the 1000' weight capacity of the aerator, along with proper ballast on the tractor I should be OK. After all I'm not planning to use it daily, just for an afternoon (6 acres). Here is the link for the specs. http://http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/frontier_implements/landscape_equipment/core_aerators/ca10_series_core_aerators/ca10_series_core_aerators.page

Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
The spec sheet you linked to says it is compatible with tractors between 20 and 65hp.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have this question as well...in a broader sense with respect to mismatch of implements HP ratings versus the PTO HP rating of the 1025R at 18HP. I certainly don't want though to derail the specific question of the OP regarding his aerator. Thanks for asking it...standing by... :munch:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I actually tried this with my 1026R, with the LandPride 60" aerator. the tractor would pick up the aerator with no weights on the aerator as long as I had the FEL with weight in the bucket, and I could pull it around the yard, but when you put weights on the aerator to get a good plug I had trouble. Couldn't PU the aerator, high enough to turn. So I wouldn't recommend it. get one of the bluebird pull behind aerators.

also, I used this a few times behind my 1026R..
https://www.kingkutter.com/store-product.aspx?id=3425
would just get it off the ground, and when using it the tractor would get pushed around. (only used on flat ground to do a 10x10 garden, that was already soft.)

·
Registered
768 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to run the 1060 on the back of the 1025R, it should handle it without issue. You may even be able to put a couple hundred pounds in the weight tray as long as you don't exceed 680lbs total weight, it should pick it up with the weight in the tray. I've picked up a confirmed 670lbs on the back of my 1026 without struggle (ballast box)

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to run the 1060 on the back of the 1025R, it should handle it without issue. You may even be able to put a couple hundred pounds in the weight tray as long as you don't exceed 680lbs total weight, it should pick it up with the weight in the tray. I've picked up a confirmed 670lbs on the back of my 1026 without struggle (ballast box)
Ballast box sits much closer to the back of the tractor than most implements the farther something is sticking out the back the harder it is to lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ballast box sits much closer to the back of the tractor than most implements the farther something is sticking out the back the harder it is to lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree and valid point.

Since the Aerator has an operating weight of 442lbs, there is plenty of capacity to lift it with his 1 series 3PH and he can adjust weight in the tray (if even used) accordingly. I believe the Aerator has an operating depth measurement similar to the ballast box, about 2 feet from the hitch pins, so it should be comparable.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have this question as well...in a broader sense with respect to mismatch of implements HP ratings versus the PTO HP rating of the 1025R at 18HP. I certainly don't want though to derail the specific question of the OP regarding his aerator. Thanks for asking it...standing by... :munch:
I may be misunderstanding your question, but the PTO HP rating doesn't need to be taken into consideration for a non-PTO driven implement such as a pull behind (3PH mounted) aerator, like the one mentioned by the OP. The 1R series machines are anywhere from 24.X-26 engine HP depending upon what model, so that should be more than enough to handle a 60" core Aerator. My 1026R pulls a box blade with the scarifiers down, weighted to 600lbs right up until it loses traction.

To the OP, I say rent the 60" aerator and let us know how it goes! :)

I'm strongly considering the purchase of LandPride 56" unit that has the exact features that I'm looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts