1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Rule of thumb for towing with your L&G tractor. The weight of the towed trailer plus the contents should not exceed the weight of the towing vehicle, plus the operator, etc. You can find dump trailers specifically design for L&G tractors at any hardware store, including a JD dealer, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc., or used on Craig's List or ebay. There are better and more appropriate ones out there than that contraption you've linked to, imho.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,148 Posts
Welcome to GTT DavidChaveriat.
I wouldn't do it. I think T-Mo has some good points and maybe even the hard facts.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Yeah, I was a bit harsh on the hard facts, so sorry about that. Gotta stop trying to rushed in an answer between work breaks.:nunu:

The L&G dump trailers are plentiful, so finding one isn't hard. And if you do have a question on one, don't hesitate to ask here. We were all newbies at one time. For instance, I just got my first diesel and I have a lot of questions and concerns about it, so you're not alone in feeling like a newbie. And btw, that is a nice tractor, a 455 with loader! Nice.

And welcome to GTT.:wgtt:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree that the dump trailer is a little too big for your tractor, however I was fascinated at the old school dump mechanism. That thing looks like it will still be around when we are all gone.

·
Registered
321 Posts
what I would worry about as much or more than the weight of that thing is how tall it is. It would be very top heavy in reference to the tractor. On flat ground might be OK but I would not want to pull that on the side of a hill.

·
Super Moderator
4,906 Posts
I wouldn't do it. To be honest it's a nifty little trailer but it just seems like too much trailer for your tractor. Hauling it around empty wouldn't be an issue but loaded with dirt, rocks or logs it is going to shove your tractor around.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the typical L&G trailers. I just haven't had good luck with them. If I was going to buy something I'd look at one of the ATV trailers - something more along the lines of the Polar Sport line. Most of the ATV trailers would fall in between the typical big box store L&G trailers and the trailer you are looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I have the John Deere dumping metal yard cart and I can't say that I use it much with the loader. When it was just my 318 and Polaris Scrambler I used it and an old Sears trailer that came with the property. Now that I have a loader I don't do much of anything with them other than move some firewood around. Most of the time our Kayaks just sit on top of my John Deere trailer in the back of the shed.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Well I'm on the other side on this one. First I like that trailer, I would grab it at that price. Second, while I agree it would be too much fully loaded with dirt I would just scale down the load. With the dumper you can make more loads with less per load. In time you might have a larger tractor, you could also use it with a truck. Just my opinion, but I like the cool dump mechanism.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well I'm on the other side on this one. First I like that trailer, I would grab it at that price. Second, while I agree it would be too much fully loaded with dirt I would just scale down the load. With the dumper you can make more loads with less per load. In time you might have a larger tractor, you could also use it with a truck. Just my opinion, but I like the cool dump mechanism.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
If that trailer was closer to my home, I would be driving to look at it myself to pull behind my truck. I would put some lube on the gearing though. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what I would worry about as much or more than the weight of that thing is how tall it is. It would be very top heavy in reference to the tractor. On flat ground might be OK but I would not want to pull that on the side of a hill.
Thanks for pointing out that safety issue.
VERY true.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a Country Manufacturing tandem axle trailer that I modified to add hydraulic dump. I put a set of rear remotes on my 425 (now replaced by X739). The trailer is 3x6. I've had it loaded full of wet dirt and pulled it up a steep grade. It was all the 425 could do to pull it, but it did it and I was never concerned about safety. One thing that helps on the CM trailers is that the tongue is the weakest point. I've flipped the trailer trying to dump it on a side hill. The tongue twisted, but the 425 didn't even shake. For brush, mulch, compost, etc. where the material weighs less, the CM trailer is excellent.

If you are going to spend $1K or more on a trailer, I'd look at the Pronovost. Or I think Kingkutter makes a similar one. I like my CM trailer. I have about $600 in it. It's not a pronvost, but it's a lot cheaper.

Yeah definitely stay with off-road trailers made for small tractors/ATVs.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
:wgtt:

First off that dump trailer is pretty cool but like has been said I'd be curious what the unladen weight of it is. It looks BEEFY. I'm not sure what you want to trailer around but the JD 18 trailer is pretty large and I think the MSRP is less than the trailer you linked. John*Deere 18 Utility Cart Yard & Lawn Care Riding Lawn Attachments
That's the model I have. Just a word of caution. Don't sit on a side while your wife drives across your uneven lawn. You'll end up on you side before you can think oh &@#&! Don't ask how I know. :lol:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Check out the sure-trac 3.5' x 6' atv dump trailer.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts