Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey Bruce, as long as your at it, raise and lower the deck a few times from min to max, then remeasure to see if the deck stays level. I’m curious if it holds the level.
I checked the blade heights yesterday and found them to be holding just fine. That did involve raising and lowering the deck many times throughout the process of mowing last week and the cleanup afterward. The measurements were the same as prior to mowing last week. I did make one very minor fine adjustment. I will check again after mowing today and let you know if anything changes. Otherwise, once again with thanks to you and others that offered their help and advice, I think this problem has been solved.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,675 Posts
When I was using the tool that came with the tractor, I was able to make the adjustments as laid out in the manual to level the deck. Using that tool alone, it was right where it was supposed to be. Unfortunately it also masked the real problem with the cut quality.

I have come to believe that little tool that comes with the tractor is fine for making quick checks, but to do it right, the yellow tool or an equivalent is required.
[
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that the "deck tool" which is provided with the tractor is to speed the set up of new machines at the dealership and also for first time or newer machine owners. Let's face it, most people simply want the grass cut and many don't really know the difference between a real precision cut and a general mowing...........if the grass is shorter when they are done, they are happy.

You have taken the time to set up the deck to its precision adjustment level, for the optimal cut. Most won't ever do this. Unless you strike something with the deck, it should remain in adjustment as the lift parts don't wear out quickly on most residential use machines.

By the way, your lawn looks excellent. Great job....! (y)

I think as you grow comfortable and familiar with the new machine, the areas mowed with the push mower will shrink and the areas cut with your tractor will expand it's use, which is one of the reasons you own it.

Good job on the mower set up. Now, the machine is truly capable of producing the results you desire. And clearly, your standards are higher than most, which I certainly can appreciate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use the plastic tool that comes with the mower. I also have the blade tip tool .I find using it to be nerve racking. Maybe if it was not so flimsy plastic and had a mirror on it so you could actually see where it is touching on the left non discharge side it would be useful. Also if I had smooth as glass concrete but I do not it would help. I use the tool that comes with it and go by sight and quality of cut. If I did not I would probably have had a nervous break down. I do not understand why the dealers do not set these up before delivery. Mine came with improper tire pressure so I knew it would be off. There concrete floor is smooth as glass. After getting mine cutting nice and level I never checked it again. I am careful not to run the deck into anything and as long as I am not jumping tree stumps or mowing road side ditches and getting it wedged. I can not see why it would get out of adjustment.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.