Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 54" snowblower that come off a 2320. When I called my dealer to ask if it would fit he said it all would match up. Well I got it mounted tonight and the driveshaft appears to be 2-3 inches to long.

The next question is if anyone has shortened one of these shaft? It seems that it was not balanced by deere so there is no need to bring it to a shop to have it balanced. As long as I keep it in phase and figure out how to keep it running true I may be able to shorten it.

Thanks
Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Sure. No problem shortening it at all. Take it to a driveline shop so it's done properly, aligned, phased and welded.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would someone do me a huge favor and measure their 2520 front pto shaft. Overall length of it would be great. I would like to cut mine down this weekend but would like to make it the correct length.

Thanks
Jeremy

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Would someone do me a huge favor and measure their 2520 front pto shaft. Overall length of it would be great. I would like to cut mine down this weekend but would like to make it the correct length.

Thanks
Jeremy
Jeremy you are talking about the driveshaft for the blower and not the actual splined shaft on the tractor?

Greg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be the drive shaft going from the mid pto on the tractor and ultimately through the hitch. Including the gold hexed end I would guess it should be somewhere between 60-70 inches in overall length. Thanks for asking for clarification, I didn't even think of the one on the blower as that one fits fine.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had the same issue

I am so glad I found this thread. I too bought a shaft from a guy that had a blower mounted to a 2320. When I went to install it onto my 2520, it was too long. I checked the part numbers of the shaft for the two tractors prior to buying it and they matched so I thought everything would be fine. I want to thank "lost in Wisconsin" for taking the time to measure the length of his mid pto shaft and posting pictures of the measurements. I took mine to a local joint clutch and gear place and they shortened it for $45.00 within 3 hours and an untrained person would not know it was shortened. When I brought it to the counter and told them what I needed done, they mentioned that they had seen this problem before.

Obviously, the part changed at some point between the two tractors. Perhaps I am not using the John Deere parts catalog correctly. Seems to me that when you are looking for a part, and the part number, or the part has changed over time, that there would be a note or remark for that part indicating which part number is for which year the tractor was built.

I am really glad that I found this post. It validated the measurements I had made on the tractor prior to finding this. Next time I'll come here first!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought mine used. I took an educated guess and took about 4 inches out of it. I squared it up good in a band saw, welded it back together. That was 100 some snowblowin hours ago and its still working fine. I always wondered if it should have been done more scientificly if thats a word. Looks like its going to get another workout sunday night or monday morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.