Green Tractor Talk banner

761 - 778 of 778 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Or as my Mom and I called it, 'turd hopping' when our next door neighbors were big into it back in the 60's and 70's.
:lolol:

My parents took us to a square dance or something similar when I was a kid. That about sums it up from what I remember, It was a long time ago and that was the last time I danced because I was so traumatized. :laugh: What can I say? I hate people and dancing involves close proximity to lots of people.:dunno::lol:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
One nice thing with the new software is pictures are easier to post.

We decided to add a barrel stove for cheaper heat. We tried it out yesterday, not enough BTUs to really help much. The half finished ceiling doesn't help hold the heat either. It's a bit of a Rube Goldberg thing as I have not plans for it to be permanent. We ran the piping through the window, which limits the height of the stack. That also doesn't help with the draw of the draft. Added a little fan to help the burning and drafting.

We tested it outside and burned the paint off the barrel.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #764
And here's the new lift. Dirty still hasn't put it together. Maybe today after we make the new wood burner out of the 250 gallon oil barrel.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #766
The wood burner wasn't working out too well today. The wind was blowing the smoke outside back up into the soffit and back into the shop. Maybe that's why it's suppose to clear the roof line. Guess we need a little more redneck engineering on that one.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
One nice thing with the new software is pictures are easier to post.

We decided to add a barrel stove for cheaper heat. We tried it out yesterday, not enough BTUs to really help much. The half finished ceiling doesn't help hold the heat either. It's a bit of a Rube Goldberg thing as I have not plans for it to be permanent. We ran the piping through the window, which limits the height of the stack. That also doesn't help with the draw of the draft. Added a little fan to help the burning and drafting.
View attachment 721103

We tested it outside and burned the paint off the barrel.
View attachment 721104
Yeah heating a barn can be very expensive or very tiring by the amount of wood you'd need to cut and move.
But having something like that is a nice place to walk over to and warm up next to when out there in the winter. Put a couple chairs around it and you can have a nice napping area too. ?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
Beer and the wood heater has caused nothing to get done this weekend. The power switch went out in the scissor lift.
Dirty's been kind of sickly this week. Didn't seem to bother his beer consumption.:unsure:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Beer and the wood heater has caused nothing to get done this weekend. The power switch went out in the scissor lift.
Dirty's been kind of sickly this week. Didn't seem to bother his beer consumption.:unsure:
Cause or effect?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
I thought we would all be together today and could pound out a bunch of the ceiling. Dirty came out just after I got there. Josh was on his way. I got the lift fixed and back together.
Dirty said he was going hunting, Oh. Josh and I hung some insulation and decided to head home for steaks.
I got even with Dirty, he hates all the live laugh love stuff...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I thought we would all be together today and could pound out a bunch of the ceiling. Dirty came out just after I got there. Josh was on his way. I got the lift fixed and back together.
Dirty said he was going hunting, Oh. Josh and I hung some insulation and decided to head home for steaks.
I got even with Dirty, he hates all the live laugh love stuff...
View attachment 722711
I'm sure when he sees it and ask you about it ole Josh's name will get the credit, right? LOL

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #772

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
Last weekend I told one of our IT guys we'd help him fetch his car from north of Oshkosh. I'm not much of an old car guy. It's an Olds Cutlass. This was the car he had in high school. He sold it to a friend who was going to restore it. The friend had it for 40 years and never really did anything beyond pull the motor. He died 4 years ago. His wife was now willing to part with it.

I didn't know if the IT guy was going to be much help if we had problems loading it. You guessed it, good to drag Dirty along, poor kid.The IT guy was nervous all the way there. He hadn't been up there to actually see the car. He had no idea what it really looked like other than a few pics taken in a garage with little space.

We get there and it looks like it should load pretty easy and the theatrics begin. Dirty's using his body to measure things, saying oh that's close, we should be able to get it out, that will be tight. I backed the trailer up the the short lift the car's on and I wasn't square to it. I grabbed a short board to cover the gap and then decided to grab a longer board. Dirty put it in place and tossed the short board aside. I picked it up and put it next to the other one for "safety". The It guy is actually wring his hands he so nervous.

We fired up the winch pulled it on the trailer, no problem. The Rocket V8 was on a little rolling stand, put that on the trailer and screwed it in place.

Why that ain't just a Cutlass, it's an F85 W31 with the V8 Rocket!

I offered to help him rebuild the motor, he wants to send it out. I told him the only place I'd it is Pakes.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #776
This may be worthy of it's own thread once there's some progress on the rebuild!
I'll help him out when he needs it. I have enough of my own projects I'd like to work on once the shop is done. I'll let him have his project.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #777
Well after 2 months of not doing much to the shop, I'm back at it. I hope to finish the insulation this week. Nice isolation work to do insulation.
Dirty has been working on different projects in the shop. They built an ice shanty out of an old camper, fixed his "good" truck a couple of times, fixed some minor things on the #6 John Deere Chevy S10. Drank a lot of beer, a big recycle bin full of cans. He's got his dump truck in there now. He just finished staining and installing boards in the bed of his 50 Chevy. I was working on garden tractor stuff in the other shop.

Tonight he's working on cleaning up chrome. Hopefully he'll move that stuff out and I'll have some room to move the lift around.

761 - 778 of 778 Posts