Green Tractor Talk banner

821 - 840 of 850 Posts

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
looking good--so all ur electrical plugs are in the wall now too? man with that lift and the new paint gun, painting it is gonna be a breeze now. (y)

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #822
No electic will all be on conduit on the walls.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
Translation: there’s still a long way to go if you were thinking it might actually be nearing completion.

It is a work in progress.

I can relate.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
Laugh all you want Jolly Jokers, I hope to be done with the building by the end of September, I hope. :unsure:

When we put the addition on, I'm hiring it all done! Ya gotta admit for basically 2 guys that know a little more than half of what they are doing it's gone pretty well, slow but, pretty well. I hope I've documented things so others can see what good and the bad of doing something this big themselves.

One big thing is staying motivated. Reading through this thread I think one of the themes is it wears on you after a while and you just get sick of it and take some long breaks and don't do much from time to time. Luckily with no real timeline we were able to do that.

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
One big thing is staying motivated. Reading through this thread I think one of the themes is it wears on you after a while and you just get sick of it and take some long breaks and don't do much from time to time. Luckily with no real timeline we were able to do that.
Lots of truth right there.

I have used this line a couple times. No I am not finished, I'm just done for now.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,145 Posts
Boy that's a true statement. Been there.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
If it makes you feel better, Mike - it's taken me almost as long to finish my 18x20 deck as it's taken you and the boys to build the pole barn! But I'm only one guy!!! LOL!

But, you know what? It's guys like "Big" that build an office addition on to their pole barn in no time at all that give the rest of us a bad name! I mean, he does this in about 3 days and it looks better than if a professional crew had come in and done it! That just ain't right!! :)

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
Yeah, I was a little jealous of how fast Big got that done and then completely ignored me when I offered to let him help us.

Here's the progress on the east wall.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
We will put outlets on the walls and outlets on the ceiling for the lights. I have this fear that the lights I bought might not last. That's based on nothing really, but it will make them easy to swap out.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
whats your intention on electrical outlets if not in or on the walls .....ceiling drops?
not sure your plan on the outlets....but i think i would put them about 4' high ....and recess them .....probably go back and remove every other sheet of osb ...and just run romex behind them and do cutouts to keep them from being damaged......exposed conduit on the ceiling wouldnt bother me since you would probably never damage it...fun fun carry on sir ...
👍 🚜

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
No electic will all be on conduit on the walls.
ok--i don't know what i was thinking, as the electric out in the big garage was done the same way as what ur talking about. the only thing my dad failed to complete back then(93 ish) was the insulation and plywood farther up the walls. he onlly went up like 12 ft. i bought 4 by 8 sheets of insulation(blueboard) plus 1/4 inch plywood to finish it. but it's still stacked on top of the trusses 😢 been there since 2002.

all the electric for the boxes,, was put into conduit so far up the walls, so same idea as urs. electric guy claimed it was the law here that the wire going up the wall so far had to be in conduit.

hey i think uns has done a heck of a bang out job putting it up. my dad colected locust trees for like 2 yrs to get enough, then had them sawn at the neighbor's for his posts. i remember being home one weekend and visited him when they putting it up. he had about every piece of equipment he owned and the neighbors hooked to the posts to keep them square, as the cement cured in the posts i guess-i really don't know if they cemented the bottoms in or not. wasn't here when they done that, i was running over the road then, hauling steel, while it was being framed back then.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
If it were me, I'd do the conduit on the walls connected to 2-gang metal boxes every so many feet. Set it up so every other outlet is on the same circuit. Recessed is pretty, but it's a shop, not a house and making modifications to exposed conduit is easier than recessed. Put the outlets around 4-feet above the floor.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #837
If it were me, I'd do the conduit on the walls connected to 2-gang metal boxes every so many feet. Set it up so every other outlet is on the same circuit. Recessed is pretty, but it's a shop, not a house and making modifications to exposed conduit is easier than recessed. Put the outlets around 4-feet above the floor.
That is the plan. Each work bay will have a retractable electric cord also. 220 for the plasma cutter and welders all over the place too. Buy stock in wire companies now, it won't be long. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #838
Finished up the plywood. Dirty decided he wants to prime it yet tonight. I guess that's the difference between getting up at 4 am and 10 am. I came home after I helped cover what needed covering. Feels good to hit another milestone.(y)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I know that's right!! I still haven't finished putting siding on my pole barn that we started about a year before you started yours! 😄

In my defense, my primary objective was to get a roof over my tractor, and when we accomplished that, the urgency ended. Siding? Yeah that's a goal, but who's in a hurry? 1

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #840
I laugh when I go to the farm off HWY Y. There's a guy putting up a shed on the way. It's maybe 10x10. He started about the same time we did. He's not done yet either. He's got framed and tarped

821 - 840 of 850 Posts