Green Tractor Talk banner
1121 - 1140 of 1173 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You need a backer board close to one side of the cut, or multiple sheets to take the vibration and chatter out.

It’s still loud with lots of sparks, those are signs of metal disappearing.
Thanks, I'll have to remember that.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,123 ·
Pretty good progress on the shop this weekend. Finished the sheet metal on the north wall. We had one flickering light today. It was over Dirty's area, so I didn't care much. :ROFLMAO: It had only been on for 4 hours. I turn the lights off and on and it stopped.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,124 ·
I bought some led 4 footers at Sam's and put those above the mezzanine. Debating if I want to add a 4th. Hung a couple more sheets of steel on the south wall. Changed out the Capacitor in Dirty's light, still flickers.

I've been consulting on the Waukesha build and wasting time mostly. My wife decided she wants some old lights we found in the old shop attic installed in the shop kitchen. They will likely need the guts replaced and new piping. So we'll use the cover/shade part.

·
Premium Member
9,159 Posts
My wife decided she wants some old lights we found in the old shop attic installed in the shop kitchen.
Nip this in the bud. It should be referred to as my shop. Kitchen😳. Trust me there is going to be mission creep and your shop area is going to get smaller and smaller over time.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Nip this in the bud. It should be referred to as my shop. Kitchen😳. Trust me there is going to be mission creep and your shop area is going to get smaller and smaller over time.
at 3yrs and counting......something is creeping for sure ....... 🤣

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,129 ·
at 3yrs and counting......something is creeping for sure ....... 🤣
I'd like to say I'm in no hurry. If I hired a carpenter and an electrician the carpenter would be done in a day and the electrian in less than a week. I'm neither. I'm down to doing what I want when I want and I'm a bit sick of this project.

As I sit here thinking, there just isn't that much left to have it done. I'm dragging my feet on the electrial, I need wire and I'm hoping the price will come down some more. That's kind of stupid because I need about 300 bucks worth to finish. Maybe I'm afraid of what I'm going to do when it's done.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,131 ·
500 feet of 12ga in black, white and green solid strand.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,133 ·
Steady as she goes I put the last piece of sheet metal up tonight. It looks good from afar.

Building Wood Floor Shade Gas

Shade Wood Tints and shades Gas Window covering

See that doesn't look to bad. Remember I said I'd talk about the troubles too.
Well this ain't too cool at the top of the stairs.

Wood Building Shade Tints and shades Siding

It's only an inch and a half, looks like a mile.
Gas Font Heat Pattern Event

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,134 ·
I decided to do some interior decorating tonight.

Photograph Blue Art Collage Snapshot

The first one is Dirty with a magnetic sign he wrote. It says "I hate dad". I put that in my work area. The second is Dirty welding for the first time. I think he was 5. Then Dirty and his girl, she's giving him a ride on the barrel train. Her first time driving a tractor. The last is Dirty's buddy, John in the beer stein holding contest last weekend. The pics are all 11x14.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Steady as she goes I put the last piece of sheet metal up tonight. It looks good from afar.

View attachment 805252

View attachment 805253

View attachment 805254

It's only an inch and a half, looks like a mile. View attachment 805255
:) just back up even further with the camera .........in all seriousness if your a guy that would nag and bother you (as i am) ...you can fix that by going back about 3 sheets and leveling it about a 1/2 a sheet ......just shrink the bottom about a 1/4 by pulling it out a little and screw to set ....just the opposite at the top strech the top by pushing in on the rib tops and set it with a screw before screwing the rest ......those light gage sheets are easy to streach and compress a 1/2 inch at a time .....3 sheets and you can fix it ....will have to of course get a new last sheet since you cut it,...its best to mark your adjustments as you go to make sure your getting it .....i always measured and planned how to finish about 3 sheets ahead to come in perfect ....if you have trouble with compressing the top (streaching) you can do it all on the bottom (shortning) just may need to go back more sheets....a lil trial to see how much you can move them is in order ...you can also cheat on the lap to gain or lose .....

·
Premium Member
18,540 Posts
:) just back up even further with the camera .........in all seriousness if your a guy that would nag and bother you (as i am) ...you can fix that by going back about 3 sheets and leveling it about a 1/2 a sheet ......just shrink the bottom about a 1/4 by pulling it out a little and screw to set ....just the opposite at the top strech the top by pushing in on the rib tops and set it with a screw before screwing the rest ......those light gage sheets are easy to streach and compress a 1/2 inch at a time .....3 sheets and you can fix it ....will have to of course get a new last sheet since you cut it,...its best to mark your adjustments as you go to make sure your getting it .....i always measured and planned how to finish about 3 sheets ahead to come in perfect ....
X2

Looks great..

·
Registered
14,515 Posts
:) just back up even further with the camera .........in all seriousness if your a guy that would nag and bother you (as i am) ...you can fix that by going back about 3 sheets and leveling it about a 1/2 a sheet ......just shrink the bottom about a 1/4 by pulling it out a little and screw to set ....just the opposite at the top strech the top by pushing in on the rib tops and set it with a screw before screwing the rest ......those light gage sheets are easy to streach and compress a 1/2 inch at a time .....3 sheets and you can fix it ....will have to of course get a new last sheet since you cut it,...its best to mark your adjustments as you go to make sure your getting it .....i always measured and planned how to finish about 3 sheets ahead to come in perfect ....if you have trouble with compressing the top (streaching) you can do it all on the bottom (shortning) just may need to go back more sheets....a lil trial to see how much you can move them is in order ...you can also cheat on the lap to gain or lose .....
Looks perfect to me the way it is.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,139 ·
It was all I could do to get the sheets up there by myself. :oops: Now you want me to move them? If Dirty gives me a hand I'd like to at least straighten it some. I still haven't rehung the flag. I may have a new spot.

From a craftmanship standard it looks like hell. In the big picture when it's all done will it be noticable? Probably, there's plenty of other little flaws to look at.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
772 Posts

View attachment 805252

View attachment 805253

View attachment 805254

It's only an inch and a half, looks like a mile. View attachment 805255
How was the metal to work with? Was the ceiling a multi-person job? Looking to do the same and would like your advise on it. I prefer metal over wood interior.

1121 - 1140 of 1173 Posts