Green Tractor Talk banner
1141 - 1160 of 1187 Posts

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,141 ·
:) just back up even further with the camera .........in all seriousness if your a guy that would nag and bother you (as i am) ...you can fix that by going back about 3 sheets and leveling it about a 1/2 a sheet ......just shrink the bottom about a 1/4 by pulling it out a little and screw to set ....just the opposite at the top strech the top by pushing in on the rib tops and set it with a screw before screwing the rest ......those light gage sheets are easy to streach and compress a 1/2 inch at a time .....3 sheets and you can fix it ....will have to of course get a new last sheet since you cut it,...its best to mark your adjustments as you go to make sure your getting it .....i always measured and planned how to finish about 3 sheets ahead to come in perfect ....if you have trouble with compressing the top (streaching) you can do it all on the bottom (shortning) just may need to go back more sheets....a lil trial to see how much you can move them is in order ...you can also cheat on the lap to gain or lose .....
It was all I could do to get the sheets up there by myself. :oops: Now you want me to move them? If Dirty gives me a hand I'd like to at least straighten it some. I still haven't rehung the flag. I may have a new spot.

From a craftmanship standard it looks like hell. In the big picture when it's all done will it be noticable? Probably, there's plenty of other little flaws to look at.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
It was all I could do to get the sheets up there by myself. :oops: Now you want me to move them? If Dirty gives me a hand I'd like to at least straighten it some. I still haven't rehung the flag. I may have a new spot.

From a craftmanship standard it looks like hell. In the big picture when it's all done will it be noticable? Probably, there's plenty of other little flaws to look at.:ROFLMAO:
Take it from a one arm paper hanger.

It’s all easy as long as you leave one screw in. I don’t see the issue I thought the conduit might be slanted. It sounds like the top of the panels had run out.

Leave the lower right screw in the first one that’s off, use that as a pivot. Align the top, then redo the bottom once there is one screw in the top. Repeat often.

Replacing my 14’ kitchen floor joists I put both ends up on ladders close to height, lifted and screwed one end, lifted a screwed the other, redid the first end, then nailed and screwed the carp out of them before installing a jack plate.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,143 ·
How was the metal to work with? Was the ceiling a multi-person job? Looking to do the same and would like your advise on it. I prefer metal over wood interior.
The ceiling was a big pain in the butt. The building is 50x100. My son Dirty did pretty much all of it himself with a scissor lift to move him and a drywall lift to take the sheets up about 16 feet. The lift would lean and it took quite a bit of energy to lift them that high. The drywall lift broke half way through and I had to buy a second one. Really not the way to do it. He also insulated as he went.
There's a youtube video of 2 guys hang a ceiling in a wide scissor lift with them and the sheets in the lift. That looked like the way to go.

Wood Floor Beam Flooring Composite material

Building Beam Wood Flooring Ceiling

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,144 ·
Little more progress this weekend. Dirty had a buddy over. It sure helped that he was over 6 foot tall. The put the little mezzanine over Dirty's office. The office is 8x8. Dirty laid the deck on Sunday. The plan is to put a heater up there and a special John Deere part, big part.

Wood Tradesman Gas Composite material Roof

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,145 ·
The lights seem to be working. I still have the Gizmo light hanging. We took care of some outside work. We put up the last wall today. I'm buying drywall in the morning. We need to finalize the heating plan.

Building Shelf Shelving Gas Ceiling

The JD Barrel proves it's not an old pic.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The lights seem to be working. I still have the Gizmo light hanging. We took care of some outside work. We put up the last wall today. I'm buying drywall in the morning. We need to finalize the heating plan.

View attachment 810833

The JD Barrel proves it's not an old pic.
what are your plans on heat

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,147 ·
I have 2 furnaces, 1 converted to LP, need to finish the conversion of the other. They go on either ends of the building. Dirty is building a low pressure wood burning boiler. We'll use that to supplement the heat while we are out there.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,149 ·
My question is what are the plans for the JD Barrel and is it full?
I don't know yet. All I knew was I had to have it. I'd kind of like to make it into a table. I just don't know yet.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,150 ·
I'm been hanging a little drywall, working on electric and some minor plumbing stuff. Work came to a screeching halt yesterday when Dirty showed up. He wanted to play with the new to us forklift.

Now he thinks he's an artist...

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Oh the forklift? Allis 500,no leaks, fluids are full too.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like a good start. When you place your radiant tubing for the floor, keep your tubing in the center of the pour (2-3” from the top) , this will allow for a faster response time if you have the heat turned down at some point. You also want an R-10 insulation value (2” blueboard) underneath along with a vapor barrier and don’t forget the vertical perimeter insulation that is even more important. Without the vertical insulation you would be melting snow along the first foot of the outside of your building. Depending where you are located will determine the percentage of propylene glycol you will need to add to your system… how large of an area are you looking to heat/cool with the minisplits?

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,153 · (Edited)
Looks like a good start. When you place your radiant tubing for the floor, keep your tubing in the center of the pour (2-3” from the top) , this will allow for a faster response time if you have the heat turned down at some point. You also want an R-10 insulation value (2” blueboard) underneath along with a vapor barrier and don’t forget the vertical perimeter insulation that is even more important. Without the vertical insulation you would be melting snow along the first foot of the outside of your building. Depending where you are located will determine the percentage of propylene glycol you will need to add to your system… how large of an area are you looking to heat/cool with the minisplits?
You are about 2 years behind. The floor is poured. I'm down to a little electrical and the furnace units. I'm not using minisplits. The walls are insulated to 17 feet with R20 if I recall. Using a torpedo heater right now. At 50 degrees I can make 60 degrees in about 30 minutes, outside temp around 30 degrees. Heating 5000 sq ft.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You are about 2 years behind. The floor is poured. I'm down to a little electrical and the furnace units. I'm not using minisplits. The walls are insulated to 17 feet with R20 if I recall. Using a torpedo heater right now. At 50 degrees I can make 60 degrees in about 30 minutes, outside temp around 30 degrees. Heating 5000 sq ft.
Lol I noticed that after I posted. What will be your permanent heat source?

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,155 ·
I have 2 furnaces that are 120K BTU each and a wood boiler we are going to use to supplement the heat when we are out there.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,156 ·
Interesting day yesterday. Mother came out to help clean up outside. Dirty's buddy showed up and asked where the drywall was. He was there to drywall Dirty's office. I was working on some electrical. I stopped, too many other distractions. I'm competent to do electrical, I like to focus on what I'm doing because the errors can be real bad. Just not the day for it after I was asked away a few times.

By late afternoon, the office was drywalled, the yard was cleaned up, the fence pieces were on the burn pile and I was able to lay some fresh gravel in the parking area.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
17,555 Posts
By late afternoon, the office was drywalled, the yard was cleaned up, the fence pieces were on the burn pile and I was able to lay some fresh gravel in the parking area.

Was the battery on your phone dead, or did you forget to take pics?
:unsure:

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,158 ·
Was the battery on your phone dead, or did you forget to take pics? :unsure:
My phone was on the toolbox playing music by blue tooth to the radio box thing.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,159 ·
We are still plugging along with electrical and heating. It sure seems like we might be over doing it with the heat.

We've been doing a few things that shouldn't have pictures. We are getting closer to calling it done.

1141 - 1160 of 1187 Posts