Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my 5x8 utility and need to get something big enough for the 2320. Budget is tight. Looked at Carry-on 7x14 tandem at
local place, but he wanted $2500. Seems high for a trailer that size and Carry-on is sort of entry level. Looking at used too, but most of the local tandems are WELL used and they still want 17-1800. Can prices on new ones be negotiated? Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Yes, but I have not had much luck getting much more than 10% off unless I really work at it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Buying A New Trailer

I just bought a new 5X10, tilt, with new spare tire, PJ Trailer made in Texas for $1,249. It has a 3,500 pound axle. The dealer said, this was the last of the ones that he could sell, without the new $100 fuel surcharge to the northwest. Their shipping charges have gone up with the higher cost of diesel. My 1026R with the FEL fits on it fine. I too looked locally and found used trailers were either over priced or were junk. There really isn't a lot of money to be made on these low cost trailers, so there isn't much discount they can give you. Some will give you a percentage reduction for cash Vs. the on credit purchase. There is also a "document fee" cost you can get a reduction or elimination on. The dealership let me have the spare for their cost. I also pre-shopped with another trailer business and made sure I got the cheapest price ($50 less) for the same trailer. This one too has a three year warranty. Trailers spend most of their time sitting, so the fancy chrome and such is a waste of money IMO. Good luck with your quest :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good post Barry:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Berry hit the nail on the head. There's always 'wiggle room', but very little for trailers. Last trailer I got I struggled to get 7%. I am going to go look at and try and deal on a new trailer to haul the 110 Saturday, so we shall see. I'd be looking at a much bigger trailer, though - 20', 14k lb so my price may still be better because of the larger price and more room to negotiate.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Barry, appreciate the info. No problems towing your 1026 ona single axle trailer? I have been thinking about going with a single axle and adding brakes as most of it's life will be spent as a utility trailer with the occasional, once per year, tractor transport.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Single Axle Towing

Thanks Barry, appreciate the info. No problems towing your 1026 ona single axle trailer? I have been thinking about going with a single axle and adding brakes as most of it's life will be spent as a utility trailer with the occasional, once per year, tractor transport.
No, I don't have any problem towing single axle. I'm well below the 3,500 axle rating of the trailer. The operating wet weight of the 1026 is 1,444 pounds. I use it to get my tractor/Gator/mower to/from the dealer for service. He's only 10 miles from my property. My JD dealer charges $50 for pickup and return delivery. That's also by their schedule. In the past, I've had my equipment tied up for a week or more using the JD dealer. Having my own trailer gives me a much faster turn around time. I use my 1999 GMC Sierra, 5.3 V-8, 1/2 ton truck with a 2" ball and 2" receiver. If one was regularly hauling heavier loads, longer distances at highway speeds, a twin axle, with brakes would be a must. It's also important to check your state's motor vehicle laws concerning trailers. They very widely concerning speed limits, brakes, loads, lights, etc. around the country. Remember too about anchor points and ratchet type tie downs. I use commerical grade tie downs, so the load isn't shifting or moving once loaded for travel. Safety can't be found on the cheap. Good luck :)

·
Administrator
20,964 Posts
No, I don't have any problem towing single axle. I'm well below the 3,500 axle rating of the trailer. The operating wet weight of the 1026 is 1,444 pounds. I use it to get my tractor/Gator/mower to/from the dealer for service. He's only 10 miles from my property. My JD dealer charges $50 for pickup and return delivery. That's also by their schedule. In the past, I've had my equipment tied up for a week or more using the JD dealer. Having my own trailer gives me a much faster turn around time. I use my 1999 GMC Sierra, 5.3 V-8, 1/2 ton truck with a 2" ball and 2" receiver. If one was regularly hauling heavier loads, longer distances at highway speeds, a twin axle, with brakes would be a must. It's also important to check your state's motor vehicle laws concerning trailers. They very widely concerning speed limits, brakes, loads, lights, etc. around the country. Remember too about anchor points and ratchet type tie downs. I use commerical grade tie downs, so the load isn't shifting or moving once loaded for travel. Safety can't be found on the cheap. Good luck :)
Just a friendly reminder, the weight you quoted is for a bare tractor. No mower, loader, loader brackets, etc.,etc. The extra goodies add up quick.:good2:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a friendly reminder, the weight you quoted is for a bare tractor. No mower, loader, loader brackets, etc.,etc. The extra goodies add up quick.:good2:
After reading Barry's response to the question on his trailer being able to hold his tractor, I see that he intends now to only haul the bare tractor to get it serviced. I was originally puzzled also by him getting this small of trailer to tow his 1026R as I intend to use my eventual purchase to haul ALL my goodies to a lot that we own 20 miles away - which is why I am looking for a tandem axle trailer that is also larger. If he got the PJ trailer that I think he did, it only weighs about 1,000 pounds and would actually be able to haul his tractor with some extra goodies on it.

You are correct in pointing out to the readers that one size doesn't always fit all. :thumbup1gif:

My experience thusfar on the new price negotiation is that the local dealers are willing to knock off $100-200 bucks at most - it's like they know that used trailers are still commanding top dollar so they are not going to budge much. Their pricing is very comparable to what I have been getting from the out-of-state dealers, and then I need to figure in my gas (and food) to go pick up those trailers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, appreciate all the comments. So far, I've only had one issue with my 2320 and that was a leaking lift cylinder o-ring which I fixed myself. My dealer would have fixed it, but they wanted $180, yes $180, round trip transport and they are 36ish miles from me.
Still shopping, would like to go with 14' tandem, but I can't touch those for less than $2400. Single axles are $800-$1000 less.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If it were me I would bite the bullet and get the double axle trailer. You never know when that extra load capacity will be needed. I have a 3 axle trailer but it needs a LOT of work before I will haul my Deere on it. Deck is rotten, no tie downs, uses a 2" ball, ramps are not adjustable, you can see I have a project on my hands and much like everyone else, I am low on funds to get it fixed up right now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, Shadow is very correct concerning hauling other attachments on smaller trailers. It is important to customize your needs for what you want to accomplish. I'm only concerned about getting the tractor in for service. The dealer has all the technical know how to service my machine and keep my warranty in force. I've got the H120 FEL and the 60" MMM. They both are JD automatic disconnect/connect items. Those features sure save my worn out knees. I would also surmise presenting a tractor for service with extra attachments adds to shop labor costs, extra fuel and unnecessary weight trailering. When my 1026 goes to see the JD doctor, it's naked :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
When my 1026 goes to see the JD doctor, it's naked :)
SCHWING!

Definitely sounds like the OP needs a dual axle. If you have time just do a lot of shopping, you are bound to eventually find what you need in your budget whether it be new or used....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate all the comments. I agree that a tandem is the best bet. Currently looking at 3 trailers...

Carry-on 77"x14' 7K tandem - new for $2295
Load Trail 77"x16 7K tandem - new left over model - $2500
Big Tex 77x12' 5K tandem - used, but will pass NH inspection - $1350.

Tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma v6 auto with 6500 lb tow capacity.

Load Trail is definitely the best of the bunch quality wise, Carry-On is best size, but quality is questionable and the used Big Tex is the best for the budget.
My 2320 will squeeze on the 12', but the bucket would have to come off and go under the loader arms or in the back of the truck.

Decisions, decisions. Have to look at the Big Tex again to see if it's worth it.

the saga continues.......

·
Registered
554 Posts
Appreciate all the comments. I agree that a tandem is the best bet. Currently looking at 3 trailers...

Load Trail is definitely the best of the bunch quality wise, Carry-On is best size, but quality is questionable and the used Big Tex is the best for the budget.
My 2320 will squeeze on the 12', but the bucket would have to come off and go under the loader arms or in the back of the truck.

Decisions, decisions. Have to look at the Big Tex again to see if it's worth it.

I have been looking for a trailer too. I have decided I will not buy something just to get by with or something that will only work if I take off the bucket or implement. I know budget is always a BIG factor, but if you hate the trailer the whole time you own it, or say everytime you use it that you should have bought the bigger trailer, it is not a good deal.
I really like Big Tex trailers but dealers are scarce around here. I do know I want a 14' dump trailer, but they are about 7000.00 so that is the only concession I'm willing to make. I will end up with a 14' or 16' deck trailer.
Just mt .02, good luck on your search.:drinks:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pictures of the 5 X 10 with the 1026R on it

I must agree, larger is better. However, this is what a 1026R looks like on a tilt 5 X 10. One thing about tilt trailers. You want the thing to stay tilted when you approach or pull off the trailer. Otherwise, it slams down when the weight comes off. I mounted my spare tire on the back end, so once the locking pin is pulled it tilts :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,964 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to post naked pictures here Barry.:mocking:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

With a tacoma I'd be looking at aluminum trailers. The tacoma is a great truck, but they don't have much power.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
That Tacoma oughta be plenty of truck to move a 1026 if it can tow 6,500 lbs.

If it were me, I would look at the 16' Load Trail pretty hard for a few reasons. A friend of mine has a Load Trail, and says the quality is very good. Two, one day you will want to sell this trailer. A 16' trailer will have a much larger potential market because it can fit most cars and small pickup trucks. Most trailers I see for sale are 16'. It would gain you 4' and 2,000 lbs over the Big Tex. While it is more expensive, I think the extra cost would be worth the lowered frustration (just drive on, no need to fuss with the loader bucket), greater capacity, and higher resale.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I didn't say that a tacoma couldnt pull a 1026r. Even with a 1/2 ton one needs to watch the trailer weight. Some car trailers weigh over 3,000 lbs. Bigger isn't always better.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts