Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Yes, all diesel in the US is ultra low sulfur.
Only difference is the red dye added to off road fuel.
I run off road fuel in my tractors all the time.
Including the 3039R I use to have as well as the 3046R I have today.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Red fuel should get you more power if you have a red key

·
Registered
279 Posts
big ass farm tractors are only fed off-road fuel.
i've used it in my fuel oil furnace. it's 100% the same as deisel fuel (<99.999%).
dudes that own diesel trucks run it illegally.
i've run off-road diesel in my 1025R for the 3 years i've owned it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Off road diesel is actually specifically available for this purpose. The reason it's cheaper is because it is not subjected to the same tax as on-road diesel.
Other than that, it's identical - except for the red dye - which is added for the singular purpose of: if a scammer tractor/trailer operator wanted to run off-road diesel in his rig to save money, he can be "caught and fined" for doing it.

·
Registered
2015 3046R Cab
81 Posts
I don't run off-road diesel in my tractor because I sometimes dump my 5 gallon cans in my diesel pickup so I can make sure I always have fresh fuel. I don't want to risk getting red dye in the pickup.

Also, there's no close station that sells off-road diesel.

Other than those reasons, I would do it, because in Michigan at least, I can road the tractor with dyed fuel as it is considered an implement of husbandry and exempt from a bunch of things, including fuel taxes, vehicle registration, trailer brake requirements, and length and weight limits.

·
Premium Member
19,847 Posts
it's 100% the same as deisel fuel (<99.999%).
dudes that own diesel trucks run it illegally.
which is added for the singular purpose of: if a scammer tractor/trailer operator wanted to run off-road diesel in his rig to save money, he can be "caught and fined" for doing it.
Here in Pa the fine is either $1000 or $10 per gallon whichever is more. Plus you can be subject to criminal penalty up to 90 days in jail.

Just thought I would throw that out there..l.
Stan, Same in WV,, ,, Big NO NO..

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Yep, agree with everyone here and run off-road in mine too.

As far as running off-road on the road, laws vary by state and it is bad news here in NC and SC.

·
Registered
245 Posts
GM was, if I remember correctly, the last holdout that said that off road diesel was bad for engines (I've seen it void a few warranties in my time). I'm not sure why but they've backed off that stance for about 20 years now.

As far as running off-road on the road, laws vary by state and it is bad news here in NC and SC.
My understanding is that it's bad news everywhere but how bad depends on which state you're in.

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
363 Posts
Here in Pa the fine is either $1000 or $10 per gallon whichever is more. Plus you can be subject to criminal penalty up to 90 days in jail.

Just thought I would throw that out there..l.
Missouri likes to fine you up to $10,000 for on road use of red dye fuel, and possible jail time. (We all know they're after the money though. Ain't no money to be made throwing you in jail for it...)They check farm pickups in my area regularly. Usually on sale days at the local livestock barns they're set up on the off-ramps to nab folks. Been checked 23 times in 5 years myself. Glad I don't own a diesel pickup any more. We do have a law on the books that says if a vehicle is driven less than 750 miles per year, AND never gets more than xx miles from the center of operations, it may use red dyed fuel. (HP will caution you that the law is open to interpretation by the OIC, and you could still be fined pending ruling...) Never had any desire to part with my money over something stupid so I never ran red fuel in any of our trucks or pickups. Now, since I've left the operation and my FIL is a tight-ass, I've heard rumors he's doing it. I just smile and say whatever. Not my money.

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
363 Posts
GM was, if I remember correctly, the last holdout that said that off road diesel was bad for engines (I've seen it void a few warranties in my time).
They all tried claiming the red dye screwed up injectors and pumps. Gummed them up and all. Worked for a while, until someone questioned why the off-road engines don't have those issues. All about the $$$, just like everything else.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't run off-road diesel in my tractor because I sometimes dump my 5 gallon cans in my diesel pickup so I can make sure I always have fresh fuel. I don't want to risk getting red dye in the pickup.

Also, there's no close station that sells off-road diesel.

Other than those reasons, I would do it, because in Michigan at least, I can road the tractor with dyed fuel as it is considered an implement of husbandry and exempt from a bunch of things, including fuel taxes, vehicle registration, trailer brake requirements, and length and weight limits.
Exactly the same scenario for me.

·
Registered
465 Posts
GM was, if I remember correctly, the last holdout that said that off road diesel was bad for engines (I've seen it void a few warranties in my time). I'm not sure why but they've backed off that stance for about 20 years now.
My understanding is that it's bad news everywhere but how bad depends on which state you're in.
there used to be a time when off-road diesel was highly unrefined compared to on-road diesel. different requirements existed for blending, purity, sulphur content etc....
but all that is changed now... as of about 15-20yrs ago here.

Interestingly, heating fuel (ie highly un-refined diesel) is available here still in that form, and can be used in older machines (>20-25yrs old) that were designed for that grade fuel.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,672 Posts
there used to be a time when off-road diesel was highly unrefined compared to on-road diesel. different requirements existed for blending, purity, sulphur content etc....
but all that is changed now... as of about 15-20yrs ago here.

Interestingly, heating fuel (ie highly un-refined diesel) is available here still in that form, and can be used in older machines (>20-25yrs old) that were designed for that grade fuel.
Here our heating oil is off road diesel - per our delivery guy who filled our oil tank and also my 5/6 gallon tractor jugs. Apparently it all comes from the same sunoco place - Just the "heating oil" gets the Red dye added when pumped. Runs no different than taxed diesel. I do treat all my fuel before it goes in one of the cans - Placebo or not, it's easy to do.

·
Registered
2007 JD 990 4WD 300 FEL
3 Posts
Operating your tractor with OFF-ROAD diesel is the way to go due to the cost without the road tax. That said, and from my experience over the past 10 years, be aware of WHERE you are buying the fuel. Stay away from small locations that MAY have a low turnover for OFF-ROAD in their tank. I have had my share of WATER issues from several such stations and no longer use them. No more than I use, I tend to pay the extra cost and purchase from stations with a HIGH TURNOVER for diesel. And anyone with a diesel knows the headaches of water in the fuel. :((n)

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,665 Posts
Since I drive my tractor on the road very often, I just run the road diesel in it and I have the red key. No wonder the rear frame of the 3ph carry all has to act like a wheelie bar all of the time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts