Green Tractor Talk banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Coming up on number three

I discovered this thread while surfing OT and It hit home for me. I have had two colonoscopies and the first one he found two polyps which he removed. he said they were non cancerous but could turn into cancer so they scheduled me for another in 5 years and I had one of the same type which he removed. This next one should be clean, I hope but if it isn't I may not get another since I'm 74. I think I should unless they don't find any. I am in great and I totally agree with early screening. I've never understood why insurance companies were hesitant to pay for these tests since it could save them hundreds of dollars if a client gets cancer later on.

I woke up Saturday morning with pain in my stomach and chest which wouldn't go away even, after taking several tums and other reflux remedies. i waited until 9 PM and told the wife I had to go to ER to have them check me out.
They did the usual vitals checks and all was well but when I told them I had pains in my sternum they immediately sent me in for X-rays especially after I told them my father had passed away at age 38. They came back in a couple of hours and told me I wasn't having a heart attack and my blood enzymes were normal, BUT, my white blood cell count was twice what my red cell count was. You guys can imagine the fear I felt when I heard that. They said I needed a CT scan so they could see what was going on in my upper torso. They took me in and did the test and then I waited another two hours in apprehension for the results.

When the DR came out he said well you won't be going home tonight. I said "whats wrong".
It turns out that I had a huge gall stone and my G-bladder was infected. It had to come out soon. You can imagine how
relieved I felt not to hear the big C word.

long story short: They took it out and I spent the next two days under the best care anyone could ask for, and was released on Tuesday. I feel great and except for having acid reflux and the pain, it might still be there waiting to explode.
I am a very lucky guy

I don't know if they could have found it with pre-screening, but I urge all of you to get screened ASAP for all the killers we have to deal with.

I want to wish glorious happiness on all who have beat these dreadful diseases and heartfelt sympathy to those who have
lost the fight for them and their loved ones. My wife lost her sister and her mother both in September 2015. Now she is going in tomorrow to see her kidney Dr. Her GFR has dropped from 21 last month to 7. It looks like she may be on dialysis.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
A year passes fast. I went for a colonoscopy today, almost a year since my surgery. Good news, no polyps and the colon connection from the recession looks very good. I’m done with scopes now for 3 years, which is good because most of us know what the prep is like for the scope.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
A year passes fast. I went for a colonoscopy today, almost a year since my surgery. Good news, no polyps and the colon connection from the recession looks very good. I’m done with scopes now for 3 years, which is good because most of us know what the prep is like for the scope.
:bigthumb: that sounds great CLer-can't beat that kind of news.!:yahoo:

·
Registered
11,008 Posts
What BigJim said, Carvel Loafer. I spoke with a co-worker yesterday who is scheduled for one and told him that the prep is not fun. The procedure is easy. Good to hear you are doing well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,234 Posts
Good to hear Carvel Loafer. :thumbup1gif:
My wife had a colonoscopy yesterday, not fun but one of those things/tests that can really pay off in preventing BIG problems down the road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Praying for good results and outcome! I too lost a good friend to colon cancer a few years back. I had my first colonoscopy 5 years ago. They found some small polyps and removed them(no cancer). Had my next one earlier this year....same thing...found some polyps, but so far no cancer. One polyp was 4mm, so at the end of this month on the 30th 1 day before my 57th Birthday I'll have a follow up colonoscopy. I think the DR. just wants to make sure he got all of the polyp he found earlier this year because it was in a bend and hard for him to see he told me.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Sorry if this post shows up twice, I don't know what happened between my iPad on Tapatalk and my desktop where I see my post twice, ?? :dunno:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've had 4 colonoscopies and I've done about 15,000, and I've had part of my colon removed. These days, with propofol sedation and carbon dioxide to inflate, no question in my mind that the prep the night before is the worst part of the whole procedure. Current screening recommendations are first colonoscopy at age 50 (American Cancer Society recommends age 45). If there's a family history in a first degree relative or if there's a history of colon polyps, followup screens every 5 years. If they find large polyps or more than three polyps, followup in 3 years. If none of those things are true, screens every 10 years.

Cologuard or fecal occult blood testing are options, but have a relatively high false-positive rate. If either test comes back positive --> colonoscopy. Most insurance companies will pay for screening colonoscopy without co-pay, but bear in mind that if Cologuard or fecal testing is positive, the subsequent colonoscopy is no longer a screening colonoscopy and co-pays etc will usually apply.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Most insurance companies will pay for screening colonoscopy without co-pay, but bear in mind that if Cologuard or fecal testing is positive, the subsequent colonoscopy is no longer a screening colonoscopy and co-pays etc will usually apply.
I love the co-pay feature here in Canada, so far with this entire episode including the colonoscopies, surgery, hospital stay, lab tests, Dr. visits, etc. my portion of all of this is ZERO. I know I know, we pay through our taxes, but it is sure nice to just sign the release from the hospital and not worry about the money. :cheers:

·
Registered
11,008 Posts
I've had 4 colonoscopies and I've done about 15,000, and I've had part of my colon removed. These days, with propofol sedation and carbon dioxide to inflate, no question in my mind that the prep the night before is the worst part of the whole procedure. Current screening recommendations are first colonoscopy at age 50 (American Cancer Society recommends age 45). If there's a family history in a first degree relative or if there's a history of colon polyps, followup screens every 5 years. If they find large polyps or more than three polyps, followup in 3 years. If none of those things are true, screens every 10 years.

Cologuard or fecal occult blood testing are options, but have a relatively high false-positive rate. If either test comes back positive --> colonoscopy. Most insurance companies will pay for screening colonoscopy without co-pay, but bear in mind that if Cologuard or fecal testing is positive, the subsequent colonoscopy is no longer a screening colonoscopy and co-pays etc will usually apply.
Good to hear from a professional. Thank you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Cl - I chimed in a couple of times on this thread. I have a close friend who retired from his job last Dec 1, then had a cancerous tumor removed 11 days later. Larry is 65, is going through the chemo now, and regrets blowing off the colonoscopies from age 50 onward.

Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and get this screening done. No more excuses

Brian

I think that a large number of us on this site are 50+ years old and you likely know, if you ever see a doctor, that this is when they suggest you start having a colonoscopy every 1, 3 or 5 years, depending on your family history. I lost a brother to colon cancer when he was 45 so my screening started at about 43 and now I am almost 60. I've had nothing show up as a problem until my last colonoscopy, the polyp they snipped out this time had cancer in it. So now the fun begins...

They did a CT scan and there is nothing of note showing up, but they still recommend surgery to take out a piece of the small intestine and about a foot of the large, (called a right hemicolectomy). This is so they can biopsy everything in the region of where the polyp was removed. So Sept. 20 is when that happens.

I am so fortunate, thankful, and blessed that this was found so early, and so small. I'm confident they will find nothing else, I'm looking at it as though I am having my appendix removed, because that comes out with the rest of the stuff.

So why post this here?? Guys, if you are postponing your colonoscopy, don't. They said the polyp likely became cancerous in the last couple of years and if I was in sooner, it would have just be a benign polyp.

So go see your doc and bend over boys.... :laugh:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm the kind of person who freaks out going to the doctor and the sight of a needle just about turns me as white as a sheet. I had my first colonoscopy done this last December at 56 years old. Even for me it wasn't that bad. Having a fear of that kind of stuff and me saying it isn't that bad, trust me when I say it isn't that bad. The reason I had it done, my wife made me. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Colonoscopies are one of the easiest tests which can truly save your life. I have had one every 5 years since I was 25. The last few have been at 3 year intervals, due to polyp removal. Personally, I would rather not wait the 5 years to give polyps the chance to establish and grow unchecked. Thus far, I have had 9 or 10 colonoscopies. Each one is easier the last.

My mother died at her age 48 from Colon cancer as did her father and her aunt, her father's sister. So there is a high incidence of it on my mother's side. To have 3 family members die of colon cancer at the same age is downright creepy and troublesome. I am well past 48 now, but that age weighed very heavily on my mind before I celebrated that birthday and then passed the next.

I lost my mother, her step father and her step brother within 30 days, between Thanksgiving and New Years day that year. My grandpa and uncle were cardiac events and both unexpected. My poor grandmother lost her daughter (my mom) her husband and her step son who worked with them on the farm every day.

While I have had a polyp removed the last two scopes, both were benign. Once you have a polyp removed, its quite likely you will have another. Once your first polyp is found roughly 14% of people will develop another polyp within one year and nearly 60% will develop another polyp within 3 years. This is why the subsequent colonoscopies are so important once a polyp has been found. *

Getting Prepared, it's not as bad as it once was.....

The prep is not as terrible as many make it out to be. Trust me, it used to be FAR WORSE. You used to have to drink this 55 gallon barrel of prep solution. Ok, maybe not 55 gallons and more like one to 1.25 gallons, but it was chalky and flavorless and had nothing appealing about it. You had to drink the entire gallonjug of the prep solution. And before a couple of GTT members ask, you can't mix it with Jim Beam, Jack or anything like that to improve its tolerance. I suppose you could drink the solution on the rocks if you wanted to, just read the instructions.

The entire process is simple. The few who might take certain medications are likely going to be required to start their prep as much as an extra day earlier, due to the medicines effect on your colons processing function. You also have a very restricted food and beverage intake once the prep has begun until after the exam. Nothing to eat other than clear jello and a very short list of other things you likely don't eat and certainly don't consider "meals". Also no milk and Fat Free milk is my favorite drink. Also, nothing red such as Gatoraide, Koolaid, and such as it can make conducting the exam more difficult.

One word of advice once you start consuming the prep, NEVER ASSume that any any urges to release gas are going to be innocent. They won't be. Don't trust your system to always respond as it has in the past. The clean out solution changes the rules of the game.

Treat every urge you feel as if you are handling a loaded firearm because trust me, you are......Make sure all discharges are aimed safely. I will leave it at that.................Stay very close to your restroom. Certainly don't take the prep and then need to run any errands or leave as once it starts to work, its working on overtime.

Also, its better to be done with all the prep a couple of hours before you have to drive to the facility, because of the new rules of the game. There is always someone who is "scurrying for the entrance door and in need of a rest room", don't be that person...doing the cheek squeeze, tush scoot boogie. These aren't skid mark crashes, but full blown get the power washer and back pack blower to clean and dry, experiences......

If you haven't had a colonoscopy done and you are over age 50, you should ask your primary care doctor about when you should begin the process. Its super easy and my experience is the entire process, from when you arrive at the outpatient facility to when you leave to go home is about 90 to 120 minutes. There is no pain or discomfort. In fact, once the sedation wears off, you will be up and dressed and heading out the door, very eager to actually eat something as now it has been at least a day or possibly two or more since any real food.

The nurses in the post procedure area are telling everyone that they must "Pass Gas (fart) good and loud, let er rip" and most in the area are complying. So, Post procedure, you will likely hear a wide variety of "expressions". Its one of the few instances where its socially acceptable to demonstrate your well developed skills on this matter.

Really, what's happening is you are simply releasing the air which is pumped into the colon during the exam to expand it and make it easier for the physician conducting the exam to see all the colon walls, etc. After all, the colon is clean, you have made sure of that, so don't worry about methane gas poisoning or any explosion from any open flames. You aren't often green lit for such "self expressions" in public, so make the most of it........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't procrastinate on any cancer screenings or important medical tests or exams. I just found some "bumps" on my stomach and chest and had them checked this past Monday. Both are nothing to be concerned about. But don't delay and always check because most cancers caught early can be dealt with. Colon cancer detected early has a very high survival rate.

* [The recurrence rate of colon polyp after polypectomy and the interval of surveillance colonoscopy: predictors of early development of advanced pol... - PubMed - NCBI

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you haven't had a colonoscopy done and you are over age 50, you should ask your primary care doctor about when you should begin the process. Its super easy and my experience is the entire process, from when you arrive at the outpatient facility to when you leave to go home is about 90 to 120 minutes. There is no pain or discomfort. In fact, once the sedation wears off, you will be up and dressed and heading out the door, very eager to actually eat something as now it has been at least a day or possibly two or more since any real food.

The nurses in the post procedure area are telling everyone that they must "Pass Gas (fart) good and loud, let er rip" and most in the area are complying. So, Post procedure, you will likely hear a wide variety of "expressions". Its one of the few instances where its socially acceptable to demonstrate your well developed skills on this matter.

Really, what's happening is you are simply releasing the air which is pumped into the colon during the exam to expand it and make it easier for the physician conducting the exam to see all the colon walls, etc. After all, the colon is clean, you have made sure of that, so don't worry about methane gas poisoning or any explosion from any open flames. You aren't often green lit for such "self expressions" in public, so make the most of it........
Everybody should begin colon cancer screening by at least age 50. Unless you believe in the American Cancer Society recommendations, in which case you should start at age 45. Their rationale for that is pretty well-reasoned and well-researched, but insurance companies are pretty invested in not spending money, and are resistant to paying for age-45 screening colonoscopies. your insurance company makes a big show about their concern for your health...what they are actually concerned about is how much your health costs them.

Modern endoscopy facilities will always use carbon dioxide to inflate the colon during the procedure. CO2 is absorbed about 150 times faster than nitrogen, so the days of post-colonoscopy all-day farting are a thing of the past except in centers that are pretty far behind the times and still using air to inflate the colon. Likewise the concept of using fentanyl and versed for sedation, with their resultant all-day hangover. With propofol anesthesia, patients will often afterwards question whether anything was even done.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi All
I posted earlier in this thread about my journey with bowel cancer. It is now 18 months since my surgery, I had a colonoscopy a couple of months ago it was all clear ( my first through my stoma). I am having my next check up next week, I don't expect anything as I had a blood test last week and no one has contacted me. All is good I am enjoying life. :yahoo:
This is what happens when you get it early, Life gets back on track:thumbup1gif:
Regards John

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
Hi All
I posted earlier in this thread about my journey with bowel cancer. It is now 18 months since my surgery, I had a colonoscopy a couple of months ago it was all clear ( my first through my stoma). I am having my next check up next week, I don't expect anything as I had a blood test last week and no one has contacted me. All is good I am enjoying life. :yahoo:
This is what happens when you get it early, Life gets back on track:thumbup1gif:
Regards John
that sounds wonderful---my middle brother has been cancer free for :think:-IDK-for sure maybe over 2 yrs now--he had prostate cancer---he had no insurance for several yrs due to the company he had worked at since high school-and they closed down-and he lost his job.
had no idea he had it--till one day he said he felt funny-went to dr then, had blood work and bang there it was. but they got rid of it-and he's fine now too. same as my kidney birth defects--never knew i had them too-till i had my knee replaced-then come to fine all this stuff was wrong inside of me. yuck-i say.:gaah:

good luck and well wishes:bigthumb:

81 - 98 of 98 Posts