Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if i keep the canned vegetable in a place were it may freeze from time to time/ outdoor insulated shipping container will they go bad? :read

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
If you can manage to maintain the seal you may just loose a little quality without them completely spoiling. Of course, if you're using glass canning jars, you'd have to keep them from shattering. I've had it happen before. The texture of veggies changes if they freeze/thaw but AFAIK, they don't loose any nutritional value.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I prevent temp extremes with my canned goods. As was already mentioned, glass jars will crack or shatter sometimes, due to the expansion of the liquid when they freeze.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope one day i can afford to build a nice root cellar In fall i just have so much veggie and not enough space to store it:brokeheart:

·
8,558 Posts
The shelves in my laundry room only hold a few items for laundry. The rest of the space is taken up with canned goods, as well as clean jars that are empty! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shelves in my laundry room only hold a few items for laundry. The rest of the space is taken up with canned goods, as well as clean jars that are empty! :thumbup1gif:
Yes but were i live is very cold and the power go off few times/ winter I can heat a living area with woodstove but not storage area :unknown:

·
8,558 Posts
I understand. My laundry room is off of my living area, so won't freeze as long as the fire is going, although it will get a little cooler than the living area. I'd be worried about plumbing freezing in your house if I were faced with that situation too often.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand. My laundry room is off of my living area, so won't freeze as long as the fire is going, although it will get a little cooler than the living area. I'd be worried about plumbing freezing in your house if I were faced with that situation too often.
I use wood/coal furnace with oil back up warm air My pipes for water are insulated and are ??:unknown: hard plastic that type used in Europe that can take the cold and easy to replace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts