Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased a new tractor 2 weeks ago. I would like to have it garage stored but that will be an estimated 2yrs or so. For now I would like a temporary 8-10' wide x 18-20' long canopy with sides(8' high entrance). It will be in deep snow territory on NY and I will not be there all the time. So it must handle 2-3' of snow storms at a time( high pitch roof). Any recommendations? Thx

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
My best advice is hire it done. Can these Jokers really build a shed that big?

You can create your building plan on Menards web site. You don't have to buy from them, just use their free building estimator to figure out what you need as far as snow load etc. You can then use that as a guide as to how you want to do it. That will also help put you in the ballpark for price. You can make changes to your plan and see the price differences also.

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I am looking for a temporary canopy, that link takes me to a large project?
Make sure your temporary shelter has the snow load and wind load equivalencies of a permanent building or you could be digging your tractor out from under it with a shovel. Didn't I see pictures on here recently of just such an event? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I am looking for a temporary canopy, that link takes me to a large project?
Sorry I missed the temporary part. My info is worthless to you.:banghead:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure your temporary shelter has the snow load and wind load equivalencies of a permanent building or you could be digging your tractor out from under it with a shovel. Didn't I see pictures on here recently of just such an event? :dunno:
That's what I am looking for, snow load, haven't found one?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Howdy,
check out the shelters they have at Tractor Supply Co. We had a garage one in Colorado, and we had the rounded roof to help keep the snow off. My buddy's Dad kept his truck and atv in it. We lived in the mountains at the time and we had plenty of snow to deal with and never had a problem with the roof.

Good luck!
WB

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
That's what I am looking for, snow load, haven't found one?
I have had a Cover-It round top for about 20 years. I opted for the heavier vinyl material for the canopy. Still standing tough all these years later at my mom's place. My father in law bought one at same time. His is still standing as well.
He bought several cheaper peaked roof types over the years to store wood and they all have collapsed at some point from snow if he didn't clean snow off after it fell.

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
I think JD4044M has a canopy type round roof shelter for his tractor - he lives in Washington where he gets a bit of wet snow.

A rounded roof would be the only way to go with the snow load you can expect up there. Even at that the sides where the snow slides down to would have to periodically removed. The snow can build up on the sides to the point where it will will lay on the top and crush it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts