Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I need some help deciding on a D140 or a D160. I'll be mowing about 6 acres and pulling a driveway screen. My budget is 2500.00. I want to buy from the local JD house because they let me demo a 1023e and i didn't buy it so....

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
With 6 acres get the largest you can. I'd think of the 1023/25 financed over five years is a small payment. I know its more than you want to spend but over the next 20 years the cost per yaer wont be bad. :good2::good2:

·
Super Moderator
5,098 Posts
Oooof! I have a D160 and I don't know that I'd want to be mowing 6 acres with it every week.

The big difference between them is the larger rear tires and a better seat on the D160. One drawback to that is that the ONLY tires I've been able to find that are the same size as the factory tires on the D160... are the factory tires that are on the D160. I haven't found any other tires in the same size. I'm a little disappointed in that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got a 240,I got less than three acres,about a acre a hour,flat(6acres=7-8 hours).my employee loves it,@12 hours.never drove it myself(got my 1025r tlb), although I have watched.lots of threads on how k46 tranny won't take hills very long and how the k46 is not really serviceable and will not handle heat.most talk about rebuilding it,when needed or upgrading to 57 or 66.found a lot of info at tuff torque and they told me about the retired guy no longer doing the 46 to 57 rebuild retro and rjr tractors doing the 66 upgrade,cool info at Rogers website about 66 and others things like front axle and another tranny that is even bigger,it goes in the 5 series garden tractors

·
Registered
927 Posts
What about a S240 ? Any opinions?
I'm sure it is nice, but I would think with that much to mow, you would want a 48" deck. I am not sure you can get one with the S240.
Re; the K46 tranny, I have that in my LA135. 7 years and 400 hours later, it is still going strong. And I have not been gentle with it. I have used it to tow a cart with hundreds of yards of loam, mulch, rocks, etc up and down the slope of my yard. I also snowblow with it, my driveway is a bit sloped.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
Oooof! I have a D160 and I don't know that I'd want to be mowing 6 acres with it every week.

The big difference between them is the larger rear tires and a better seat on the D160. One drawback to that is that the ONLY tires I've been able to find that are the same size as the factory tires on the D160... are the factonry tires that are on the D160. I haven't found any other tires in the same size. I'm a little disappointed in that.
I agree. Oooof! Before I bought it for that I would ask to demo it to do it. I think your dealer would agree you might be better off looking at a 425 to 445 or something of that generation with a 60 inch deck. That still would not meet your budget but it would be three times faster and you could use that extra time to go make money to pay the extra and be able to walk 5 years from now.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
As others have said, you need a bigger lawn tractor and in fact need a Garden Tractor. For a lawn that size I would think an X5 series or bigger but that blows your budget. I would look at the 425 or 445. I used to cut about a 5 acre field with a 425 with a 54 inch deck. It would take 3-4 hours and was glad I didn't have to do it all the time, just during football season. They are great mowers, just make sure it doesn't have the plastic cam gear. 1998 and older came with them.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
When I thought that I blew up the motor in my old L108 I was in the same boat. Had my choices down to a new 2015 D160 with a 48" deck and and an X540 with a 54" deck. Liked the smaller deck because of the tight spaces I had to cut with my property management job. Plus I was being paid by the hour. lol Turns out the X540 was a slightly used 2014 with 4 hours on the clock. So it was about $1,000 less than new. It also had arm rests, brush guard and warranty left. The downside I was stuck with the 54" deck and the old style hood. However I like the older hood better.

My final decision came down to financing. If I got approval I'd bring home the big boy. If not the D160 would get the nod. Fortunately I got approved. Another $750 and it's all mine.

Fast forward a few years. I'm so glad that I got the garden tractor. Not working that job anymore. So I'm now using it on larger lots. That 54" deck is the ticket for making short work of them. Plus even if the grass is 10"-12" tall that tractor will chop it down in one pass and you don't need to drive slow to make it happen. Wouldn't recommend cutting 6 acres with with any thing less.

I can't say enough about having power steering, deck lift and rear differential locker. Plus it is way more stable then the L/D series machines. Weather going up, down or sideways on a slope.

Turns out that the L108 only had a blown head gasket. Replaced the gasket and sold it for $775. Put the money towards a 48" snow plow set up.

Good luck on your choice.

·
Premium Member
7,674 Posts
6-acres with a BBM (Big Box Mart) grade lawn tractor like a D160...NO THANKS!

I know you have a budget; but if a SCUT or CUT isn't in your future; then look at an X series garden tractor of some kind, or as others have suggested an old 445 or 455 if you can find one in good shape.

Assuming Deere still has 0% financing; you'll be better off using your $2,500 as a down payment, and getting something capable of handling that much lawn.

·
Registered
156 Posts
D160- bigger deck and tires, plus the D160 has the K46- while the D140 has t-40 tranny. I would expect the D160 would cut the 6 acres for maybe 2 to 3 years tops. So if you need the D160 as stop gap- fine, just understand neither tractor is made for that type weekly mowing as such it won’t last long. As others have mentioned, use the $2500 as down payment on 1 series or at minimum an X5 series tractor, preferably a X7xx series tractor

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm using my old LX176 with a 38" deck to do this now and all my trees are trimmed to 38". The trans is a K60 and I think it needs a rebuild. I know i work it too hard but i have no other choice. Got parts ordered for it.It takes me a good afternoon to mow everything but im ok with it as i have nothing better to do and i kind of enjoy it.What im mowing is not a lawn by any means, Its a clearing of old dead cedar and the field grass is in patches. Im in the Texas Hill Country so there's the occasional
Pear catus and Yucca that get mowed over.I'll look at the 445 and the 455's online today..Thanks
The closest 445 or 455 is in Kentucky.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts