Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: Find/purchase the Correct Rear Bagger Assembly for a S240 Lawn Tractor

I just purchased and took delivery of a New S240 Lawn Tractor yesterday morning. It has the side discharge chute.

Yesterday afternoon I went to my local John Deere dealer to pick up a few items and to place an order for a double bag collection system.

When I asked the parts counter guys about the correct system, they said several other customers have been trying to get rear bagging assemblies for the last couple months, but that the assemblies are on back order, with no available lead time from John Deere.

An expensive work around ($700 plus) is to buy the bags, cover, tube, etc for $369, then add on the specific mounting guard ($152), deflector ($78.84), flap ($36.94), rod ($47.42), bolts, nuts, rivets ($30), to build a work-around assembly…

Versus $420 for the Correct, Complete Assembly of all those parts (BUC10907) designed for my S240.

Is there any way to get a Correct system

for my mower?

Please advise.

Thank You

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'd put on mulching blades... about $50. Block discharge opening with a piece of sheet metal, travel slowly, and NO clippings. Bob

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob, Thanks for the reply.

I am considering a mulching plug, etc as a temporary work around, but I really want to vacuum up the leaves and clippings.

Much of the year there are more leaves than lawn clippings and it’s easier to mow them up than rake in to piles and transport the accumulation to the compost pile.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Another option is a tow behind vacuum leaf/clipping catcher. Problem is they run about $1500-$2000! If you go slow enough, leaves and clippings WILL disappear with mulching blades. Bob

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Appreciate the replies.

Yes, I had considered a lawn sweeper, but that would be another item to store plus towing it behind the mower makes for a long train and some of the spaces I mow are pretty tight to get in and out.

Before buying this S240 lawn tractor, I had been using a rotary Aierens 6 HP push mower and bagging the clippings. It left the lawn very clean.

For many years prior to that, I used to mulch, but the thatch layer got way out of control.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered the Mulch Kit for now, but still looking at finding a Bagger Kit.

This mulch kit will need to do the job for now. The side discharge just kicks up huge dust clouds, leaves things a mess and blows debris on sidewalks, drives and under bushes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to mulch but the lawn got choked with thatch.

For the last 15-years or so I have been bagging with a push mower and it leaves the lawn clean. I have so many trees that leaves are a huge part of the debris.

Pretty much forced to use the Mulch kit and maybe I will be satisfied and the clippings will be tiny enough to not create thatch issues.

Guess I will find out later this week when the BM21816 kit arrives.

I watched a video comparison on how well the inner deck mulch kit works versus the exterior plug. Maybe the mulch kit will be good enough. Will see…

·
Registered
283 Posts

For the last 15-years or so I have been bagging with a push mower and it leaves the lawn clean. I have so many trees that leaves are a huge part of the debris.

Pretty much forced to use the Mulch kit and maybe I will be satisfied and the clippings will be tiny enough to not create thatch issues.

I watched a video comparison on how well the inner deck mulch kit works versus the exterior plug. Maybe the mulch kit will be good enough. Will see…
Mulching will return the grass clippings to your soil. It should help thicken the lawn and eventually those voids will fill in and you will get less and less dust kicking up. Give it time to work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a thread going on mulching or bagging with my new 350. I was the in the same boat with the muching kit not being available but the dealer had two bagging kits, so i was able to get that. I like the lawn better bagged as it actually looked to be vacuumed, but mowing twice a week is a pain because I cannot get rid of the clipping but once a week. I received the mulching kit last week and now used it twice, trying both style blades.Green Farm parts is who i ordered the kit through , they sent a email saying it wasn't available , just like the local dealers and then the next day sent a tracking number. Not sure what transpired but they came through!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Also just bought (April) an S240 42" with Bagger on back order. Another reason for me to have the bagger is we use the grass in our active compost and we chop Fall leaves up and collect for mulch and compost. Very disappointed that the bagger is seemingly off the shelf. Our local guys (Chad Little in Maine) won't even commit to Fall! I would not have picked JD had I known this. My question: is the mulching system often referred to here the standard blade shipping with the tractor, or does one purchase the "system" separately and what are the components?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I have lots of trees and lots of leaves on
Much of the lawn on my property. Bagging mulches the leaves and I can add this to my compost pile.

On the grass only portions, mulching is fine, but when I roll over piles of leaves they are blown around and scattered.

As of the last day of June 2021, the Bagger Kit is still on back order from John Deere, none available.

Frustrated…

·
Premium Member
12 Posts

Word of caution, I ordered and received mulch kit BM21816, but it was for the "42C" deck on older S240s and didn't fit my new S240. The recent ones (bought mine April '21) have "ACCEL DEEP 42" decks, John Deere calls them "42A". Apparently the new mulch kit is BUC11053, or BUC10704. Must say, very hard to get a straight answer on this from Deere themselves, and some local dealers. There is purportedly a "plug" GY00115, but it is unclear whether for 42C or 42A deck. It would appear Deere made this new S240 "ACCEL DEEP 42" to operate EITHER as a bagger. OR as a mulcher, OR just let the side discharge throw a couple of meters worth of "stuff" all over the place with no bagging option. And, the bagger is not currently in the pipeline. Had I known all tis, I would not have purchased this model. We're in Maine, lots of Fall leaves! I used to drive my Craftsman all over them to mulch (with plug), switch to bagger for sweeping up and have great material for the compost. Same deal for mowing (with my old Craftsman): sometimes mulch, sometimes bag. This flexibility is no obvious to mr with the new S240 with 42A deck. If anyone has any ideas how to accomplish, please post! For example, will the plug part GY00115 work on the 42A ACCEL deck with the mulching kit installed? Will the bagger work with the 42A mulch kit installed? Others must be having this dilemma!

Maybe you've already found out! I did, the hard way! If your S240 deck is a "ACCEL DEEP 42"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Word of caution, I ordered and received mulch kit BM21816, but it was for the "42C" deck on older S240s and didn't fit my new S240. The recent ones (bought mine April '21) have "ACCEL DEEP 42" decks, John Deere calls them "42A". Apparently the new mulch kit is BUC11053, or BUC10704. Must say, very hard to get a straight answer on this from Deere themselves, and some local dealers. There is purportedly a "plug" GY00115, but it is unclear whether for 42C or 42A deck. It would appear Deere made this new S240 "ACCEL DEEP 42" to operate EITHER as a bagger. OR as a mulcher, OR just let the side discharge throw a couple of meters worth of "stuff" all over the place with no bagging option. And, the bagger is not currently in the pipeline. Had I known all tis, I would not have purchased this model. We're in Maine, lots of Fall leaves! I used to drive my Craftsman all over them to mulch (with plug), switch to bagger for sweeping up and have great material for the compost. Same deal for mowing (with my old Craftsman): sometimes mulch, sometimes bag. This flexibility is no obvious to mr with the new S240 with 42A deck. If anyone has any ideas how to accomplish, please post! For example, will the plug part GY00115 work on the 42A ACCEL deck with the mulching kit installed? Will the bagger work with the 42A mulch kit installed? Others must be having this dilemma!

Maybe you've already found out! I did, the hard way! If your S240 deck is a "ACCEL DEEP 42"
sofreemac: I am in the same boat. Purchased an S240 (42" Accel Deck) two weeks ago and cannot get a mulching kit or bagger. Neither the GY00115 ("plug") nor the BM21816 ("mulching kit") fits - I have tried both. Local John Deere dealer can provide nothing in the way of an ETA on the proper mulching kit. Would love to hear whether anyone found a solution. I am considering initiating the return process under John Deere's 30-Day Guarantee. The salesman was not happy to hear this, but I am not too happy with a mower I can't get parts for. I made a mess with clippings the only time I used it.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
sofreemac: I am in the same boat. Purchased an S240 (42" Accel Deck) two weeks ago and cannot get a mulching kit or bagger. Neither the GY00115 ("plug") nor the BM21816 ("mulching kit") fits - I have tried both. Local John Deere dealer can provide nothing in the way of an ETA on the proper mulching kit. Would love to hear whether anyone found a solution. I am considering initiating the return process under John Deere's 30-Day Guarantee. The salesman was not happy to hear this, but I am not too happy with a mower I can't get parts for. I made a mess with clippings the only time I used it.
I'm afraid I'm past the 30 day mark! Also tried both mulcher plug and kit same as you total non-fit.. I'm may actually just try to sell the thing, take a loss, and find something that works. Very disappointing! My Grandfather had JD machines on his farm, it was a mark of excellence. Now, I wonder! Paid $2,500 and change, do you think I could sell for close to that? I've used it three times and it blows crap all over the place!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm afraid I'm past the 30 day mark! Also tried both mulcher plug and kit same as you total non-fit.. I'm may actually just try to sell the thing, take a loss, and find something that works. Very disappointing! My Grandfather had JD machines on his farm, it was a mark of excellence. Now, I wonder! Paid $2,500 and change, do you think I could sell for close to that? I've used it three times and it blows crap all over the place!
Interestingly, since I posted earlier today, I found a promising potential solution: Part No. BUC10704 (“Mulch Control Kit”). I believe you referenced this part in an earlier post. Some of the drawings I saw online look like it will fit, and many sites advertise it to fit the 42A deck. I ordered one, and it’s supposed to come in Monday. I’ll report back. Below is a link to one. I actually ordered from Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Yes, I saw that. I am not sure you can add a bagger once installed, but it is supposed to mulch and has a lever to open and close a baffle. I'd be very curious to see how this works, and discuss with you!! Please respond back here, or to my email which is [email protected]. We would like to also be able to bag for the compost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I saw that. I am not sure you can add a bagger once installed, but it is supposed to mulch and has a lever to open and close a baffle. I'd be very curious to see how this works, and discuss with you!! Please respond back here, or to my email which is [email protected]. We would like to also be able to bag for the compost.
10-4! Will do! Hopefully the bagger become available soon.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts