Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air is getting cooler and my machine is not prepared for the white stuff yet. Ordered a 54" plow from Shane at Mutton 2-3 weeks ago and he told me they would most likely ship it out this week some time. I already have my Artillian rubber blade edge and extensions, rear suitcase counterweights now I just need my Quick-hitch and plow.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I was looking at my plow today... It's outfitted similar to yours and I didn't get a chance to use the "wings" last year. As soon as they were mounted it never snowed again. The plow looks forlorn and forgotton face down waiting for the call. No doubt I will be cursing the skid chains at 3AM again some snowy night... just like last year! Two tractors and I can't seem to get one of 'em ready on time.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The air is getting cooler and my machine is not prepared for the white stuff yet. Ordered a 54" plow from Shane at Mutton 2-3 weeks ago and he told me they would most likely ship it out this week some time. I already have my Artillian rubber blade edge and extensions, rear suitcase counterweights now I just need my Quick-hitch and plow.
What model tractor you attaching it to? That's the very same set-up I'm considering for my new JD 1023e.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2014- 1025R that I bought back in August. Next on my list may have to be a trip up to Artillian to pick up a set of forks also. 3 1/2hr each way is not to bad.

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I love my 54" blade. Can't wait to give it a good workout this year. I put a set of Warn wings on last year and never got a good snow to really try them out.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When I read this, I thought perhaps I had written it...maybe while sleeping?? Anyway, I'm waiting on my 54" blade from Shane as well, and I already have the squeegee and extensions waiting.
I chose the softer squeegee from Artillian. I wasn't sure which edge to get, so we'll see after the first few snows. Does anyone have experience with the squeegee?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the soft rubber as I push snow out onto my lawn. I build up the snow on one side of my driveway to keep the snow from drifting into the travel path. Also I have to swing my 18' trailers by the house and need some space. Though this year I do have now a 3pt hitch with trailer a trailer hitch so I could just drop the trailer and jockey it into with the tractor versus my crew cab full bed dually.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the squeegee?
My experience with "a" squeegee (Official JD) is excellent on my 1026 all last winter. It "stacks" snow just as well as the steel edge and won't peel lawn at the edge of the pavement. Same JD rubber edge has also been excellent on my 48" plow on the GX tractor since '05.

Once I put it on the GX blade I never took it off. (Have Johnny Bucket Jr for the hard work) It pushed pine tree storm damage on an unfrozen lawn with no problems or scuffs and graded plenty of topsoil.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
TonTon, you have some more popcorn and room on that bench? Shane just emailed me saying it should ship out tomorrow from Mutton. arrr the wait is killing me.

On another note in NJ today it is sunny and will be 68 degrees.

·
Registered
446 Posts
When I read this, I thought perhaps I had written it...maybe while sleeping?? Anyway, I'm waiting on my 54" blade from Shane as well, and I already have the squeegee and extensions waiting.
I chose the softer squeegee from Artillian. I wasn't sure which edge to get, so we'll see after the first few snows. Does anyone have experience with the squeegee?

Love the squeegee!! I have a pretty long asphalt drive with a turn around and extra space and the squeegee gets it almost down to the bone. I made my own from 1/2" thick horse mats from TS. I think I got maybe 8 squeegees from one mat and the mat cost $40.00. Go through two a winter.

P1060021.JPG
P1060023.JPG
P1060086.JPG
P1060261.JPG

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the call that they will be delivering my plow set-up tomorrow!! :yahoo: Guess I will need to get some drill bits and wrenches out tomorrow night and start to outfit my plow Artillian style, extensions and rubber edge.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Got the call that they will be delivering my plow set-up tomorrow!! :yahoo: Guess I will need to get some drill bits and wrenches out tomorrow night and start to outfit my plow Artillian style, extensions and rubber edge.
Pictures! Concentrate on a camera.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I am all set, bring on the Thanksgiving snow, at least that is what they are calling for on the long range forecast. I spent last night putting on the fast hitch hardware, the blade, and the Artillian extensions and squeegee edge and blinders. Ran all the hydraulic cylinders and lines with fluid and then topped off the reservoir back Low Visc fluid to factory spec level. All works great. The big score was the 6- #42 weights I got from 3 Lowes stores at $39 a piece. Here are the proof pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well I am all set, bring on the Thanksgiving snow, at least that is what they are calling for on the long range forecast. I spent last night putting on the fast hitch hardware, the blade, and the Artillian extensions and squeegee edge and blinders. Ran all the hydraulic cylinders and lines with fluid and then topped off the reservoir back Low Visc fluid to factory spec level. All works great. The big score was the 6- #42 weights I got from 3 Lowes stores at $39 a piece. Here are the proof pics.
Where are your tire chains?

Did I let the cat out of the bag?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The big score was the 6- #42 weights I got from 3 Lowes stores at $39 a piece.
These weights don't look like Deere weights. Are they made to fit Deere brackets? Do all Lowes stores have these? I didn't see them online.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just sealed my driveway this fall so I am going to hold out chaining up this season if I can. I will buy a set just in case. I am going to rely on the 252 lbs of counterweight and 4 wheel drive to keep my traction going. Most of my 300 ft driveway is flat and only by the garage do I have a slight incline. Then there is a 4000sq ft parking area where my trailers and porta garages sit.

Reactions: DRobinson and Levi

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I just sealed my driveway this fall so I am going to hold out chaining up this season if I can. I will buy a set just in case. I am going to rely on the 252 lbs of counterweight and 4 wheel drive to keep my traction going. Most of my 300 ft driveway is flat and only by the garage do I have a slight incline. Then there is a 4000sq ft parking area where my trailers and porta garages sit.
May the Force be with you.:lol:

I bet you a Coke you'll be installing those chains about 15 minutes into you first 6" plus snowfall cleanup. :flag_of_truce:

Turfs are terrible in the snow (not that R4's are much better), and once you start pushing a load with the plow, traction will mean absolutely everything.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts