Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m looking at an x580 or x738 with 54” deck. How do they do with reasonably forested areas to keep brush in order, is there a maximum thickness or special blades I should use?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I’m looking at an x580 or x738 with 54” deck. How do they do with reasonably forested areas to keep brush in order, is there a maximum thickness or special blades I should use?
I wouldn't expect either of those tractors with the 54" deck to cut anything much over a foot high. I've got a 345 with the 54" deck and it clogs up when the grass gets much over 12" - 15". Maybe one with the high capacity deck would work for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't expect either of those tractors with the 54" deck to cut anything much over a foot high. I've got a 345 with the 54" deck and it clogs up when the grass gets much over 12" - 15". Maybe one with the high capacity deck would work for you.
Ah, I see. So like the x738 high capacity deck? And what diameter of brush / sticks would it cope with?

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
Ah, I see. So like the x738 high capacity deck? And what diameter of brush / sticks would it cope with?
I'm going to caution that all of the X500 and X700 decks and blades, including the HC deck are designed to cut GRASS. These are not rotary cutters or brush hogs. Using them as rough cutters is likely to lead to a lot of problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to caution that all of the X500 and X700 decks and blades, including the HC deck are designed to cut GRASS. These are not rotary cutters or brush hogs. Using them as rough cutters is likely to lead to a lot of problems.
What attachment for the X700 or X500 might work with brush, if not the decks?

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
What attachment for the X700 or X500 might work with brush, if not the decks?
Nothing really for a X500. If the X700 machine was outfitted with the 3PH and rear PTO I assume you could get a small 48" rotary cutter.

Are you really glued to the X700? I mean, when you add the cost of a 3PH and rear PTO to a X700 you are typically around the same price as a 1023E/1025R which could easily handle a small rear rotary cutter.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts

Trying to cut brush with an x??? is like trying to have it swim across a pond. For pretty close to the same money, you can get a 1025R or 1023E and do the same mowing, but you can also get a rear 3pt rotary cutter/brush hog to cut the brush. Plus many more things you can do with it that you cannot do with a x series, such as a front end loader. I first looked at an x series, but soon realized that the 1025R would be so much more useful. That was in 2013 and I have since moved to the country and upgraded to a 4066R.

Dave

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I have a 2011 X748 that I have used to cut up to 2’ grass. I have a 54” deck that I use and have been doing so for several years for trails that I cut a couple of times a year.
I’ve cut up to pencil thick saplings and that’s worked okay.
I’ve recently got a rough cutter so that I don’t do it anymore.

Going slow, it has done relatively fine, except once, when the long grass wrapped around the pto shaft and took out the bearing....lost all the hydro fluid. It was my fault becuase I was cutting too quickly.

I wouldn’t see it as a long term solution if you plan to cut tall grass and saplings regularly.
But...I will say, the X7s are incredibly hard working and the 748 always impresses me with it’s torque, quality of cut, pull loads, climbing capabilities and traction plowing/blowing 2’ of snow. I’ll never get rid of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
As others have said, if that's going to be a normal thing for you then you're likely better off with a 1 series tractor which has a factory 3pt and rear PTO. Then add a small brush hog to the back. The X738 will surely be screaming when using the 54" deck on overgrown stuff as you're describing. The diesel in the X758 and 1 series won't be nearly as unhappy and will have plenty of grunt to get the job done.

I hate to say it but you're likely a candidate for a 1 series such as the 1025R. If you want a little more clearance and lift then the 2025R.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have a 2011 X748 that I have used to cut up to 2’ grass. I have a 54” deck that I use and have been doing so for several years for trails that I cut a couple of times a year.
I’ve cut up to pencil thick saplings and that’s worked okay.
I’ve recently got a rough cutter so that I don’t do it anymore.

Going slow, it has done relatively fine, except once, when the long grass wrapped around the pto shaft and took out the bearing....lost all the hydro fluid. It was my fault becuase I was cutting too quickly.

I wouldn’t see it as a long term solution if you plan to cut tall grass and saplings regularly.
But...I will say, the X7s are incredibly hard working and the 748 always impresses me with it’s torque, quality of cut, pull loads, climbing capabilities and traction plowing/blowing 2’ of snow. I’ll never get rid of it.
It’s almost as if I wrote this post. Right down to the part of wrapping weeds/grass around the shaft and taking out the seal.
My wife has tortured our x748 for 12 years now...she thinks it’s a bush hog. I tell her we have a bush hog and a skid loader now...she says the X748 is “handier”.:lolol:
I agree that a better plan would be a 1025r

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could use a tow behind type rough cut mower that has it's own engine if you want to stay with a smaller tractor. They are a bit pricey, though so I don't know if you would be saving any money in the long run. It would also be another engine to maintain, but it is an option...

Dirty Hand Tools Tow Behind Brush Mower, 101684 at Tractor Supply Co.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
You could use a tow behind type rough cut mower that has it's own engine if you want to stay with a smaller tractor. They are a bit pricey, though so I don't know if you would be saving any money in the long run. It would also be another engine to maintain, but it is an option...

Dirty Hand Tools Tow Behind Brush Mower, 101684 at Tractor Supply Co.
I was going to mention something like that but they are somewhat unwieldy and can be very difficult to maneuver in the woods. It's easy to get yourself into a jam.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
It’s almost as if I wrote this post. Right down to the part of wrapping weeds/grass around the shaft and taking out the seal.
My wife has tortured our x748 for 12 years now...she thinks it’s a bush hog. I tell her we have a bush hog and a skid loader now...she says the X748 is “handier”.:lolol:
I agree that a better plan would be a 1025r
LOL. Our wives must be related. She won’t drive the 3320 or the 2025. The X748 normally has the 62C mulcher on it, and sometimes my wife will use the 62C to cut the trails rather than asking to have the stripped down 54C changed out :banghead: :laugh:

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I built my house in 2016 the land was untamed. 3 1/2 acres of tall brome grass with tall weeds. I mowed it down with my x738 with a 60HC deck with factory blades. I even mowed over several 2-3 ft tall cedar trees. I had no problem mowing for the first time going slow but the blades needed to be replaced when I was done. I only did this once since it was the first time ever mowing. I wouldn't recommend mowing tall brush all the time since it is hard on the mower. Now I keep most of the grass on my land short now since I live there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thanks all. There is a used 1025r that comes with a Frontier RC2048 rotary cutter. Anyone with experience on that? Also will that work for keeping grass cut or I need to add a deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
Ok thanks all. There is a used 1025r that comes with a Frontier RC2048 rotary cutter. Anyone with experience on that? Also will that work for keeping grass cut or I need to add a deck?
The Frontier rotary cutters are nice units. Rotary cutters are "rough cutters" meaning they will chop down grass, weeds, limbs, etc. but it will leave a rough jagged cut. This is normally fine for a field or meadow but I doubt you would be happy with the cut quality on a grass lawn.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
23 Posts
As others have said, if that's going to be a normal thing for you then you're likely better off with a 1 series tractor which has a factory 3pt and rear PTO. Then add a small brush hog to the back. The X738 will surely be screaming when using the 54" deck on overgrown stuff as you're describing. The diesel in the X758 and 1 series won't be nearly as unhappy and will have plenty of grunt to get the job done.

I hate to say it but you're likely a candidate for a 1 series such as the 1025R. If you want a little more clearance and lift then the 2025R.
Well said! Use the equipment as it was intended.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Save you money, buy a weed eater and go to town.

In all seriousness get a 1 series, tax exempt and you’ll have better resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
OP,
You can spend all day wondering if you should spend less money on an X580/590. or X700 series tractor. This is the part you ask yourself not only what job do I need done now, but what jobs will I do with the tractor in the future.

You could use a 580/590 with a pull behind bush hog or flail mower, or you could do the right thing and spend the money for an X700 series tractor, 3pt hitch and rear PTO. Add the PTO driven mower designed to cut through brush, very high grass, etc. and you're up to about $16K. A SCUT will cost more, but at this point you've already decided on spending $15-20K for what amounts to a machine the DOT could use for cutting the grass on the highway median strip.

Take a look at your budget and work within that number. Ask yourself if you're going to cut the heavy growth once and keep it down after it's been cut using conventional equipment. I've noticed that the usual reply to almost anyone asking a generic question on this site is "Buy an X7xx". Nice machine, but the first question should always be, what's your budget. Answer that question and you'll receive intelligent replies based on the practicality of fulfilling your needs within your budget.

And take note that attachments of the type you need will have a rating for the minimum HP needed. You should keep that in mind.

Mowers?

Cutters & Shredders | John Deere US

Compact Utility Tractor Brush Cutters | Mutton Power Equipment

Estate Mower, Finish Mower, Caroni Mower, Grooming Mower | Agri Supply

Rotary Mowers, Rotary Cutters, Bush Hogs, Rotary Cutter Mowers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts