Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going to start a thread for tips and tricks and favorite products for keeping your vehicles, and Deere equipment, looking their best. A discussion in the GM thread this morning spurred me on. Tell us what you do and use.......

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
My father and grandfather were both mechanically handy and thankful for everything they earned and owned. Both took pride in their vehicles. It wasn't uncommon to spend a whole day washing and waxing a vehicle back in the day. My grandfather used to say "It's easier to keep a clean vehicle clean."

We'd wash and dry the cars in the shade and then take them around the house, park under a large maple tree and wax them with Butcher's floor wax. You want to talk about a workout! We'd rub that stuff on one panel at a time and wait for it to dry. Then use a diaper sprinkled with cornstarch to remove and polish the paint!

So since my first vehicle that also happened to be my grandfather's '57 Chevy that I inherited, I've always kept his good advice in mind and stayed after my vehicles. Of course over the years I've enjoyed the benefits of newer products that were much more user friendly.

I've graduated to the spray-on paint protection sealants and now use the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax as previously mentioned. It resists water and debris doesn't adhere to the paint and as my grandfather said, "It's easier to keep a clean vehicle clean!"

·
Corndog Hater
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Frank.

I have similar memories of my weekends as a kid helping my dad. His vehicles are still always clean. I agree with “keeping a clean car clean” advice, it really is easier.

I have always used paste waxes, but the time it takes is my biggest enemy now. I am definitely going to give your recommendation a shot. Recently, I have been seeing a lot of advertising here locally for the ceramic coatings. The sprays must be the “in” thing. I have found the spray bug and tar removers to be better than the old chalky liquid rub on stuff.

With two new cars, I bought a car “duster” recently off Amazon. That has worked well on the dash and other areas. Again, it seems if you keep after it, the surfaces maintain their natural shine longer. This helps to not have to spray Armor All (don’t really like that stuff) or similar product on everything.

My goal someday, either at this house or the next, is the be able to spritz the cars off in the garage, especially in the winter.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
My goal someday, either at this house or the next, is the be able to spritz the cars off in the garage, especially in the winter.
Jamie,

I have a sillcock in my heated-side garage that was setup with hot & cold mixing valves in the basement. I have them set so that I can use warm water in the winter to rinse the sludge from the vehicles. The warm water just seems to do a better job of loosening and rinsing the sand, salt and dirt away. Maybe something to keep in mind for down the road.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Ive always kept everything clean, from cars/trucks to tractors, zero turns, even push mowers.
They all get washed and waxed.
Im a BIG fan of Megiuars products. They have been doing it a long time, and their products produce good to outstanding results depending on what you are doing and how you do it.
I prefer to wax inside a building or under a cover of some type.
For a quick clean up where just light dust or whatever is present, I will also use Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish. Its great for quick clean ups, and leaves a great finish. Used with GOOD microfiber towels, it wont scratch anything and works better than any other similar product Ive tried.

Inside vehicles, Ive found, after nearly 30 years trying different things, that doing a really good cleaning inside a vehicle can be done very simply with an old washcloth, a bucket of water, and a lint free towel. Wet and wring out washcloth, wipe off whatever, and dry with the towel, then move to a different surface. Works excellent for dashes, consoles, door sills, etc. Once done, I use Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer.
There is nothing I despise more inside a car than that greasy glossy crap dealers and some others seem to enjoy slathering all over the inside of an otherwise nice vehicle.

One of these days Ill get an orbital polisher too, as it makes adding sealer or wax or what have you much easier and also makes paint correction a lot easier with regard to having a swirl free finish.
Im still surprised by the number of people who dont understand that its not a good idea to wipe a dusty finish with their hand or a towel while not using a product made for that purpose.
It WILL leave very fine scratches in the surface.
I constantly have to ask my neighbor not to do that around my tractor.
He is forever putting his hands on it and touching this or that.

My thought on keeping things clean and looking good is two fold (maybe more if I really think about it), one, obviously, it looks nice most of the time.
Two, it will keep the resale higher. Sure you can clean it up eventually when you want to sell, but all that crud sitting there for so long will have a negative effect on the overall look of it after its finally cleaned. My dealer has seen my tractor several times, and other equipment, and they always comment on how nice it always looks, and how that just adds value down the road.
One other thing, it makes them a lot nicer to work on too when the time comes.

Besides vehicles, I also make sure all my tools are clean before they get put away too.
I dont mind getting dirty, but there is no need to get dirty unless its absolutely necessary.

While I personally like Meguairs for a host of reasons, there are several other brands out there that will serve you just as well. A lot of it is personal preference and what you intend to accomplish.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Over the years I have used every type and brand of polish and wax you can think of. About 10 or so years ago, synthetic waxes became the craze. They lasted much longer than ordinary wax. Carnuba wax will generate the deepest shine, but they just don't last that long. Being that almost all finishes are clear coat anyways, they have enough shine and depth as it is. The newer sealants do a much better job protecting the finish. I have been using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant for a out 8 years now. Starting with a good, clean contaminant free surface is the key.

Once a year, I will hand wash and dry my car, polish it by machine and then seal it with Wolfgang sealant. It takes the whole afternoon to do the job, but, once and done for the year. The sealant portion of the process only takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do the whole car. It's by far the easiest and longest lasting paint protectant I have ever used. I also use some sort of spray detailer occasionally after going thru the automatic car washes. I haven't done either vehicle for a little over a year and they still bead water. They'll get their annual this spring.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant provides polymer paint sealant protection and a carnauba-like shine. Synthetic car wax, liquid car wax sealant, polymer sealant, car care products, detailing supplies

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've kind of upped my game the last few years. I used to use dish soap, a sponge and old bath towels... :banghead:

But since getting a black truck and a Corvette I've rethought my approach. I use a real car wash soap, two buckets, and a micro fiber wash mitt. I dry with micro fiber towels. I've been buying a lot of car care products from chemicalguys.com. I like their soaps, clay bar lube, after wash drying spray, towels, wheel cleaner, air fresheners, tools, and waxes.

I want to try a foam cannon and a random orbital polisher this year. :gizmo:

I found some old, but very solid, kitchen cabinets at a thrift store and mounted them in my garage. When I open the cabinet doors it looks like a detail shop...

Except the rest of the garage is a mess.. :laugh:

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
Jamie,

I have a sillcock in my heated-side garage that was setup with hot & cold mixing valves in the basement. I have them set so that I can use warm water in the winter to rinse the sludge from the vehicles. The warm water just seems to do a better job of loosening and rinsing the sand, salt and dirt away. Maybe something to keep in mind for down the road.
I don't have such a facility but yesterday when I did wash my terribly dirty truck I filled my bucket in the house with hot water. Made a big difference with getting all the sand/salt mess off.

------------

I could write a book on this subject but will try to summarize....

I am OCD about keeping my truck clean. But it's about impossible where I live for a good 6 months of the year. They use a 50/50 mix of salt/anti skid which turns into brown glue. It sticks to everything. The roads stay dirty until Memorial Day after a few good downpours.

My other issue is the last 5 years or so having RA. Washing and especially waxing just kills me. I usually do a full detail in the spring and fall - it will take me 3-4 days to do it in segments. This is why when Frank suggested the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax I was intrigued - can't wait to try it this spring.

I am copying the links he posted in another thread for reference -

https://www.pointsupplies.com/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-26oz-g190526?variant=14094705950829

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I use Murphy's oils soap in warm water for interior work
Invisible Glass (Stoner's) for the glass, with an occasional rubbing of Bon Ami powder on the exterior front window to take out any evidence of wiper wear. This cleanser is really great, you almost don't need wipers in the rain after a good polishing. I used to use Rainex but stopped a long time ago, a really clean window works nearly as well and once you get wiper marks in a Rainex'd windshield it's a pain to get out (my experience).
Westley's Bleach White on the tires and nothing after, I hate shiny tires.
For many years now I have been using Turtle Wax Ice for protection.
Looks like an oil, goes on fast, comes off easy and you can put it on everything which makes intricate grills, emblems and rubber bumper pads look like new.
I have still preferred Turtle Wax chrome cleaner over the newer spray on products.
I'm going to have to try out this new Meguires product for sure, but just everybody remember to polish or clay bar before using this type of sealing product on a vehicle that has been in the elements for a while.
Most of these incredible new polymers and such that are being marketed today are not the old fashioned "cleaner waxes" that combined polishing and sealing in the same step.

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
I agree with Jeff B - clay bar is an important step.

Don’t be intimidated if you have never done it - it is dead simple and easy.

You just spray a little lubricant like a spray detailer then wipe the clay bar brick along the surface. You can feel the resistance as you pull it along if there is anything on the paint. Usually one swipe does it. And usually for me it is only the horizontal surfaces that need it.

Since my truck is parked in the barn and hardly used nowadays I haven’t needed to do it in a long time. A couple years ago when I did it I didn’t feel any resistance.

Since I bought a used truck last spring and don’t know where it was parked I will do a clay bar treatment to it before applying the hybrid ceramic stuff.

If you park outside at home or park anywhere near any factories or railroads / highways or trees at work you likely will get some stuff off with a clay bar treatment. Meguire’s sells a clay bar kit which comes with the clay bar, spray deatailer, and microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I've kind of upped my game the last few years. I used to use dish soap, a sponge and old bath towels... :banghead:

But since getting a black truck and a Corvette I've rethought my approach. I use a real car wash soap, two buckets, and a micro fiber wash mitt. I dry with micro fiber towels. I've been buying a lot of car care products from chemicalguys.com. I like their soaps, clay bar lube, after wash drying spray, towels, wheel cleaner, air fresheners, tools, and waxes.

I want to try a foam cannon and a random orbital polisher this year. :gizmo:

I found some old, but very solid, kitchen cabinets at a thrift store and mounted them in my garage. When I open the cabinet doors it looks like a detail shop...

Except the rest of the garage is a mess.. :laugh:
Dish soap is great at removing everything, INCLUDING any wax on the car. So, if you use it, plan on completely re-coating the vehicle when you're done. :)

Do NOT use Zaino products. They are horribly overpriced, hard to use, and require constant application. They are NOT for vehicles you drive - only vehicles you enter into car shows.

·
Registered
487 Posts
When I was younger I had several very nice cars, I would wash and wax and try to keep them nice looking.
One car was a dark blue with a hint of purple in it.
After that car I swore off dark colored vehicles.
The last old car I had I bought it in original paint, it was never touched.
Faded, sun burnt and scratched on the outside.
65 temp 011.JPG
I enjoyed this car the most, it was fun to drive cause I was not concerned about its appearance.
Always avoiding gravel roads, parking under trees, parking where dust could blow on it.
Screw all that nonsense, just drove it and enjoyed.

Now I don't waste time on washing waxing or any of that stuff.
Its a never ending vicious circle, you will never keep your car clean and use it.:banghead:
I don't even go thru car washes anymore.
And I find my life much more relaxed.

I keep up on mechanical maintenance and keep an eye on that sort of stuff.

To me there are better things to do with my time, like fishing:laugh:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
When I was younger I had several very nice cars, I would wash and wax and try to keep them nice looking.
View attachment 673846
I enjoyed this car the most, it was fun to drive cause I was not concerned about its appearance.
Always avoiding gravel roads, parking under trees, parking where dust could blow on it.

Its a never ending vicious circle, you will never keep your car clean and use it.:banghead:

Looks a mid 60's Tempest (based on no scoop on the hood which was present on the GTO). Love that body style, and would love to own a '65 GTO one day.

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
View attachment 673846

I definitely see your point. As a matter of fact - mostly because of how hard winters are on vehicles around here between the sand/gravel anti skid and rust from the salt - that I decided to buy a used truck this last time instead of new. You just can’t keep a vehicle looking nice around here except for a couple months in summer.

I am more relaxed about it but it is still a nice truck and still get kind of OCD about it. But I’m not afraid now to travel some of our many dirt/gravel roads as I used to be.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My stuff is never immaculate, as it is used.
However, I have found that AMSOIL's Miracle Wash is a great product for a quick surface clean. May be a bit time consuming for a vehicle, but works great on the ATVs and motorcycles!
Takes caked on bugs and fly poop right off!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts

That looks very similar to my first car, a 66 Bonneville. $500 car, similar exterior condition but the interior was beautiful. 389 two barrel.
I agree with you that there is a joy all its own to owning a vehicle that you don't care how it looks and only fix what breaks.
Unfortunately I'm not in that situation right now.
My buddies and I used to refer to these as "Cleveland" cars, as driving was insane in the eastern hoods we had to go through to work. This way you don't get your prized ride scratched, dented or stolen...:nunu:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Well, when it comes to the every day drivers, I just gave up trying to keep the outside clean. I could spend an afternoon washing, polishing, and waxing to only have it last 5 miles, if that, on winter roads. Our other home was a few miles of gravel between it and the asphalt, so it was a lost cause in the summer. I surrendered as to the outside. Now, I'm pretty anal about the interior and particularly glass. My present marriage about ended before it started when now my bride was attempting to squish a mosquito on the inside of the windshield. The squished bug wasn't the worst of it, the oil/hand lotion form her hand was as the first four attempts were misses.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I used to waste my time waxing and using the latest and greatest car products on my pickups. Nowadays I just run them through the car wash when they look dirty. Or if time and weather permits,pressure wash them. It’s a bit difficult to wash a car at home when it’s below freezing or snowing half of the year.

In the case of my 05 Colorado. The body and paint look fine. But the frame now is pretty much junk do to rust.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,127 Posts
I used to waste my time waxing and using the latest and greatest car products on my pickups. Nowadays I just run them through the car wash when they look dirty. Or if time and weather permits,pressure wash them. It’s a bit difficult to wash a car at home when it’s below freezing or snowing half of the year.

In the case of my 05 Colorado. The body and paint look fine. But the frame now is pretty much junk do to rust.
I figured out a long time ago, it's like washing the inside of a window and not the outside.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts