Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will buy a used trailer with registration dual axle good condition needs fenders for $1200 delivered /120 miles away I think is a very good deal Plan to tow my deere fel 4110 when needed What you think :munch: IMG_20151218_141936 (4).jpg IMG_20151218_141951.jpg

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Looks good for the price. About half of a new price. How are the tires? Why no fenders? This kind of looks like a shop built trailer.

Dave

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
16ft will get you loaded with the tractor and fel, but nothing else. Guaranteed you will want something bigger later, but for that price, it will give you a starter trailer and it would appear that you should have no trouble in getting your money back out of it when you find you need to upgrade. AS far as upgrades, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Started out with a 5x10, went to a 20ft, then after upgrading to a cab tractor, went to a 31ft deckover dually gooseneck trailer. I am NOT upgrading again.

An important point is how do you load the tractor on this particular trailer. Make sure you have this understood before buying the trailer. Another important point is brakes. 16ft trailers sometimes do not have brakes and if they do, it may only be one axle. No brakes is not acceptable, while one brake axle could be acceptable for your tractor, but two axle braking would be much better. Remember that trailer brakes require a brake controller on the tow vehicle.

Dave

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Trailers are never long enough. I bought a new 20' 10K this year and it could be longer. Maybe that's why I'm starting to own as many trailers as I have tractors. :laugh: Seems like a good deal as long as you can weld fenders on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Price seems fair for what Im seeing in the pics.. Does it have a dovetail? Ramps? How about brakes? Fenders you should be able to go to like TSC and pick some up..
yes dovetail yes steel ramps yes brakes 1 axle no fenders

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
16ft will get you loaded with the tractor and fel, but nothing else. Guaranteed you will want something bigger later, but for that price, it will give you a starter trailer and it would appear that you should have no trouble in getting your money back out of it when you find you need to upgrade. AS far as upgrades, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Started out with a 5x10, went to a 20ft, then after upgrading to a cab tractor, went to a 31ft deckover dually gooseneck trailer. I am NOT upgrading again.

An important point is how do you load the tractor on this particular trailer. Make sure you have this understood before buying the trailer. Another important point is brakes. 16ft trailers sometimes do not have brakes and if they do, it may only be one axle. No brakes is not acceptable, while one brake axle could be acceptable for your tractor, but two axle braking would be much better. Remember that trailer brakes require a brake controller on the tow vehicle.

Dave
my concerns in having a bigger trailer is
Have a 2005 v8 gmc sierra k1500 tow package - standard cab short bed, short truck

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
my concerns in having a bigger trailer is
Have a 2005 v8 gmc sierra k1500 tow package - standard cab short bed, short truck

You should be OK with that with the 16ft trailer and could easily go bigger. I pulled a 20ft trailer and my 1025R with my 1993 F150 and 302 engine and had no problem. However, I went with an aluminum trailer to save weight. When I upgraded to the 4066R cab tractor, I was beyond the capabilities of the old pickup and trailer, so had to upgrade both the pickup and trailer..

Dave

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
It looks like the towing capacity for that truck is 7400#. Check your door tag, I thinking towing is listed. The towing capacity of the truck and the gross weight of the trailer should be more the deciding factor. I would think the trailer you are looking at should be fine. The ID tag on the trailer will list it's gross weight.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I would walk away.

Brakes on only one axle is a deal-breaker for me. The fact that there are no fenders, and they are required by law, makes me wonder what the current (or previous?) owner took them off for, and generally makes me question how the trailer was used.

At 16', WITH a dovetail, that's a short deck (where it's flat). I had an 18' Anderson 10k that was an absolute beast of a trailer. I sold it when I sold the tow vehicle. I recently bought an 18' Big Tex 10k to replace it. Both trailers have about 16' of flat deck to work with, and my 2520 fits on there with the FEL/Bucket and the Ballast Box and THAT'S IT. For me, it isn't an issue because I will never own a rear implement of any kind. A 16' trailer would never work for me.

Add in the cost of buying the fenders (assuming you can actually find them) or the hassle of making your own along with any other repairs or updates and I will bet you'll find that your total investment in dollars is a whole lot closer to $2k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts