Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the preliminary stages of thinking about building a cargo carrier for the front of tractor's receiver hitch.
It would be used when I have the blade on the back 3 point hitch to carry chain saws, fuel, etc. stuff up front when doing
tree cutting.
Added 4 adjustable legs (spuds) to get on and off of it easy.
Have the square tubing and expanded metal, should cost very little except for time.:laugh:

What I'm thinking about:

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I look at that and the ideas for its use are over flowing, :thumbup1gif: nice idea

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look at that and the ideas for its use are over flowing, :thumbup1gif: nice idea
When I have the bush hog on the tractor there's no problem carrying stuff around, but when the blade is on, just
ain't no room to carry stuff.

My idea is to have something to put on and off slick and quick.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
:laugh: I was just thinking of making/buying one for the front or back of my Gator. When I'm out cutting wood, I don't have any room left for my saw,cans,oil when I load my bed with wood. Also could carry other things. Also was thinking of making a hitch extender for rear for long items.

Attachments

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
May be a bit too large on my 3' X 6' size, went take a few measurements on the tractor. :dunno:

Probably need to take a piece of cardboard cut it out and use that as a visual guide to the size of it.

Don't want it too big, but don't want it too small either.
If I go with 1 1/2" X 3/16" wall square tubing for the frame and 3" X 1/4" wall for the center and receiver hitch
hookup plus the expanded metal floor plate, the weight should come in around 250 - 275 lbs. if I go with
the 3' X 6' size.

Have some pondering to do. :think:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
In the preliminary stages of thinking about building a cargo carrier for the front of tractor's receiver hitch.
It would be used when I have the blade on the back 3 point hitch to carry chain saws, fuel, etc. stuff up front when doing
tree cutting.
Have the square tubing and expanded metal, should cost very little except for time.:laugh:

What I'm thinking about:
Looks like a great idea, I really like adding the legs.

On a smaller scale, I found this one at a yard sale for $20 a few years ago. It was made for an ATV and I use it with mine, but it's also real handy on the tractor.

IMG_0005.jpg

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Make the carrier hinged, and dual purpose.

You could scale this one up a little,, and have a grill guard/carrier.

To lower that carrier, you just lift it up slightly, then it lays down.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Huh. I have been thinking about something similar but I think I'm going to cheat. I have a garden cart and I think I'm going to add a 2" tube on the side of it that I can slip into a receiver. That way I can load it up in the garage, roll it out, mount it and go.

The cart is similar to one of these:

gardencart.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,468 Posts
Old Cajun, Make the sides high enough to stop things from jumping out. Being in the front like that I could see me running over stuff that jumper out.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Great idea OC!

:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Lots of good ideas. I'm like Cutty72, I use the FEL. Now that I have a wagon I'll be using it too. I put weights on the front so no receiver goes on there.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Lots of good ideas. I'm like Cutty72, I use the FEL. Now that I have a wagon I'll be using it too. I put weights on the front so no receiver goes on there.
My SIL moved in next door,,, I gave him the JD 855 and loader,,
he learned the chainsaw will just "jump" out of that loader bucket,,,,:flag_of_truce:

:laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Old Cajun, Make the sides high enough to stop things from jumping out. Being in the front like that I could see me running over stuff that jumper out.
I was figuring on making the sides a foot tall minimum.
Will also probably put the expanded metal like on bottom on all 4 sides.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will the one arm loader fit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The one arm IH 1000 loader will fit a Cub and a 140, have checked on that way back.

To my knowledge IH never built a loader for an offset 274. :banghead:

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
tree cutting.
Have the square tubing and expanded metal, should cost very little except for time.

What I'm thinking about:
Wow, I like that idea.? You will use that quite a bit I bet. Just let me know and I can provide some poor welding.?
Was thinking the same thing but your too darn fast.??

With expanded metal he could always strap down really easy as well if needed. Kenny probably has an evil bungee he'd send for free.?

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, I like that idea.�� You will use that quite a bit I bet. Just let me know and I can provide some poor welding.��

Was thinking the same thing but your too darn fast.����

With expanded metal he could always strap down really easy as well if needed. Kenny probably has an evil bungee he'd send for free.��
Man I got that poor welding thing down pat, I'm an expert poor welder according to my shipyard buds, poor fitter to boot. :lol::lol:

Got the dimensions pretty much figured out as to what I want, going to chalk it out on my workbench,
drag everything out I want to carry and see if it all will fit comfortably tomorrow.

Would hate like hell to say "oops" after building the dang thing. :nunu:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 102 Posts