Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good recipe for Carolina style Mustard based BBQ Sauce? I normally won't even use sauce if the BBQ is good...mainly because I am not a fan of tomato based BBQ sauces...reminds me too much of catsup, which I use very sparingly, and then only on French Fries and fish.

Having said all that, I have sampled a mustard based sauce in the past, and found it to be rather good. We cook a lot of ribs, sometimes for 40 or 50 folks and I would like to have a good alternative to the tomato based sauces. Thanks in advance...

Dennis.

P.S. There are a lot of recipes on line, but would like to start with a proven family recipe.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Whoo Hoo!!! This is my favorite sauce. :lol:

I've made my own for a long time. I grew up in SC, so I'm a diehard mustard based sauce fan. It is pretty simple and there's not much of a recipe, just combine everything in a saucepan and reduce until it is the consistency that you like. I eyeball all of the ingredients when I make it, but I wrote it down for friends that ask for it along the way. It multiplies well if you need a lot, I usually make at least twice this much to start with.

2 Cups Mustard (I use Frenches yellow mustard)
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Worchestershire Sauce
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
2 Tbs. Molasses

If you try it and tweak it, I'd be interested in how you change it.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Do we have permission to add this to the GTT "cookbook" thread? Please.....

Grilling season will soon be upon us, and I will try this recipe on the next ribs and chicken that I cook! :fed: :thumbup1gif: :drinks:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts

Grilling season will soon be upon us, and I will try this recipe on the next ribs and chicken that I cook! :fed: :thumbup1gif: :drinks:
Of course! I'll add it the next time I'm on my computer. :good2:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Prego! it's in there. :good2:

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I've made my own for a long time. I grew up in SC, so I'm a diehard mustard based sauce fan. It is pretty simple and there's not much of a recipe, just combine everything in a saucepan and reduce until it is the consistency that you like. I eyeball all of the ingredients when I make it, but I wrote it down for friends that ask for it along the way. It multiplies well if you need a lot, I usually make at least twice this much to start with.

2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
2 Tbs. Molasses

If you try it and tweak it, I'd be interested in how you change it.
I'll be more than happy to. Thanks for the recipe.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,126 Posts

X2, good idea FG.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
2 Tbs. Molasses

If you try it and tweak it, I'd be interested in how you change it
Here's what I came up with:

1 cup mustard
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Worcester Sauce
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Molasses
1 Tbsp Celery Seed
1/3 cup Catsup
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp Garlic

Good basic sauce to start with; so far, I'm the only one who has tried my version; I'll get some reviews soon. It's still a bit too "mustardy" for my taste; maybe I'll add a bit more catsup or tomato sauce/paste. We're still in the early stages, but pulled pork needs something with just a bit of a vinegary/mustard bite (not too sweet) and I'm not there yet. Folks here are all hung up on tomato based BBQ sauce, but it's most of it is too "tomatoie" and too sweet. To be continued...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts