Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went over to Agri Supply (ASC) in Garner NC and picked up a new Caroni 73" flail mower, TM1900BSC. It was my first time going to Agri Supply and that place is amazing, they have pretty much anything you could want for a tractor. It did take them about 30 minutes just to locate the mower because they have so much inventory. They didn't have it assembled yet, so I had some time to browse around and get some spare cutters and shackles while they put together the top brace, greased it, and put gear oil in the case. They had a whole section of Caroni parts, some were for tillers and finish mowers of course. Lots of Caroni tillers in stock.

I read some reviews online and I think this mower will fit my needs better than a regular rotary cutter. I needed something that could handle a little brush here and there but with a nicer (and safer) cut than a bush hog. Initially I was going to get a Deere MX5 but changed my mind to the Caroni. At the property I'm helping maintain there are several large fields that will need to be mowed periodically and I don't want to try to do it with my zero turn mower.

Going to be a bit of a challenge getting it unloaded, they used a chain hoist at Agri Supply to load. I will probably need to use my Artillian bracket on the loader with a couple chains or maybe tie-down straps to lift it up and then drive the truck out from underneath it. It did fit quite nicely into the bed of my Ranger, only sticks out onto the tailgate a couple inches.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Very cool, I've always read good things about both the Caroni flails and AgriSupply.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I bought one in 2008 and sold it to my neighbor in 2012 when I got my 12' Rhino. I loved it, great machine. Don't be surprised if you burnout your belts that go from the top shaft to the flail shaft within 20-40 hours. They're not expensive, and can be found locally.

You may have to shorten your PTO when you put it on - make sure you read up on how to do that properly. I knocked too much off and made a twisty shaft....oooops.

Good buy!!

-J.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, I did see a thread about the early belt failure so I'm going to make sure I check the tension before the first mow. Funny how the operators manual says under no circumstances to shorten the PTO shaft. When I bought my Wallenstein chipper they sent me pretty detailed instructions on how to shorten the shaft if necessary.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did get a chance to use the flail mower a couple weeks ago, posted in another thread. I didn't shorten the PTO shaft yet, I just used one of my other shafts to try out the mower for ~15 minutes.

Photos of backing into the new 10x10 shelter to store the flail mower. Talk about tight clearance!

I've got enough room in there to also store my Kubota zero turn and Deere 17P cart.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know what size zerk Caroni uses? ASC has a replacement fitting on the web site but Tractor Supply is a lot closer to my house. I noticed when I went to grease the mower this morning that I lost one of the zerks on the roller. I had some spare 1/4-28 zerks on hand but they did not fit. I'm guessing it's either metric or 3/16 size.

The belt tension definitely needed to be increased after running the mower for about 5 hours. So far I'm happy with the performance of the mower. It doesn't cut 100% of the grass, but then again this is a "rough cut" model versus the smaller finish cut versions. I've hit a few hidden stumps and no broken blades or bolts yet.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
No idea on the zerk - with it being European may be a bit of trial and error.....

Adjust that tensioner!! That may save you the belt replacements that a few of us have had to do at 5-20 hours!! It's a pain in the a$$ if you need to do it!!

It's rock solid, it'll take more than a hidden stump to break it!!

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
It may also be a "drive in" zert.

I replaced a spindle in my Befco mower deck. I have an assortment pack of SAE and metric zerts, nothing fit.

Called the dealer and they didn't know. They contacted Befco and were told that it was an 8mm drive in zert.

It sure looked like it was threaded.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fitting on agri-supply.com for Caroni flail mowers is definitely threaded, just doesn't show a size.

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
The fitting on agri-supply.com for Caroni flail mowers is definitely threaded, just doesn't show a size.
:nunu:

You gotta love a good parts breakdown.

At least Agri-Supply has them.

I got my first chance to walk through an Agri-Supply in Richmond. They sure have alot of stuff?

Good thing I was driving my wifes car!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah when I made the trip to Garner to get the mower I had to avoid getting distracted by all the other stuff they had. Way bigger than a Northern Tool or Tractor Supply.

Reactions: LeoC4

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple weeks ago I was at Agri-Supply in Garner and checked for the Caroni flail mower zerk that was listed on the web site here:
Grease Fitting For Flail Mower

They didn't have any in stock, so I ordered a few to be delivered to my house (free shipping). When they arrived, I knew immediately they were too large to be the right zerk for the roller ends. I'm not sure exactly where that particular size grease fitting is meant to be used. The next time I have the side belt cover off I will check those to see if there's a match.

I had picked up a package of assorted M6 x 1 metric zerks at Tractor Supply a while back, and fortunately they did end up being the correct size for the roller. I replaced both sides with the 45 degree zerk, because my grease nozzle wouldn't fit on the straight zerks with the side skids in the way.
CountyLine® Metric Grease Fittings, Pack of 8 - Tractor Supply Co.

Reactions: LeoC4
1 - 12 of 12 Posts