Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Umm, new house and getting settled in. Sitting on my back patio, and have seen the past few days some rogue carpenter ants cruising around up to no good! Wife thinks the hardy board siding will keep them out of the house, but I know better. Anyone know the best way to handle this? Call an exterminator? Spray some crap I buy from Lowe’s? Pee on my house? I’m being very protective of my investment right now, and don’t want any creepy crawlies, or anything that wants to move in. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Once upon a time, way back when I was a married man we used and exterminator for a few years in an older unique home we had bought. I think they treated three maybe four times a year and it may have been $200 a year.
You would not find one single ant in the house after that, even though they were all over when we moved in.
Now, since I am forever alone I need to save money and maintain all expenses myself I have treated with products available from local big box stores that I mix into my sprayer.
It helps, but seems to "wear out" after a month or so. Will see ants come back in until I spray again.
I don't know exactly what the service used to spray but hopefully somebody who knows a lot on this subject will chime in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A question I actually know!!! So I have a private applicator license, you need termidor. If you know someone with a license get them to get it and soak the ground around the slap. Soak everything, but termidor is expensive about $180. If you hire a exterminator request they use it and make sure they use it at the right ratio and you’ll never see those termites or any kind of ant for years.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A question I actually know!!! So I have a private applicator license, you need termidor. If you know someone with a license get them to get it and soak the ground around the slap. Soak everything, but termidor is expensive about $180. If you hire a exterminator request they use it and make sure they use it at the right ratio and you’ll never see those termites or any kind of ant for years.
I forgot to mention I have 2 dogs....

·
Registered
140 Posts
I forgot to mention I hadve 2 dogs....
Just ant type colonizing insects. Dogs and cats are fine. It’s meant for outside perimeter. My little shack was getting ate up, killed everything after one time. Where mask and goggles for sure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've used Taurus SC for the last couple of years and it has worked well. Effects seem to last a couple months at least if I douse everything really well. I do have a private applicators license, but it's not required for this product. I think I got it off Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
We too had a Pro come to our place in the woods for several years to spray to keep all the various creepy crawlers out. He started after we had a few carpenters in the house in late Jan and Feb-he set some baits and gel and sticky traps after that to monitor activity. One treatment and we’ve never found another one again.

His subsequent treatments were spray applications to the exterior and the surrounding ground for prevention. He visited spring, mid summer and late summer/early fall and sprayed a different product each time. The service was at $400/year until last year until we cancelled and starts applications myself with a 4 gal Chapin backpack sprayed-I’m a bit over $200 for the sprayer and the 3 products, enough to last 3-4 years. So in the first year I’m saving 50% and after that it’s all free and clear.

Mid-Late April
Suspend SC

Mid June
Talistar P

Late August-Early Sept
Demand CS

·
Registered
267 Posts
We had a bunch of carpenter ants around the outside earlier this year.

I spray around the house foundation periodically with Bifan I/T for termite and ant maintenance. Saw very few of the carpenter ants actually get in the house. I also keep a jug of ready to spray Spectricide handy for spot treatment when I see ants or roaches. For mounds in the yard I have become lazy and I will just dribble some of the Bifen concentrate on the mound and wait for the rain to do the rest. Works surprisingly well and takes very little effort.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If you believe they will attack the house itself, there are a few things to do.
As the applicator mentioned, Termidor is about the best for them and I believe termites too.
Generally, its an after the fact sort of thing, and a preventative too.
This gets brought up all the time when they are found, or evidence is found, around a home during a home inspection. Im not a licensed application, but am a licensed WDI inspector.

I believe it to be a bit overkill unless your area is known for lots of infestations in homes, but its your home, your investment, and your peace of mind, so you need to do what makes you feel the best about the solution, because my opinion matters very little in all of that. If that involves spending a ton to "fix" the problem, then so be it.

For me, I use Bayer Suspend Polyzone. It kills darn near everything. The only thing that lives longer than an hour or so after contacting it is spiders, and most times they dont make it long either. Ive used it for the past 2 years, before that I used Bayer Suspend SC. Just and improved formula now that lasts longer.
I spray every 90 days, and that ends the pest issues.
domyown.com is a good site to shop, and there are a couple others too. They also carry Termidor if thats what you decide to do.

Years (and years) ago, when I lived in a rental, they had a pro come out and spray. Since I always like to know how everything works, I got to talking to him. He said that basically, as long as you get a good chemical, its pretty darn simple to spray yourself and save a ton of money.
He was right. I started out with Ortho Home Defense, which is a good, pre mixed insecticide that works well, that you dont have to mess with mixing. After having a few minor issues that it didnt take care of, I found the Suspend SC...which was pretty darn impressive, and actually cheaper than Ortho per application. Then moved up to the Polyzone version for the longer residual.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
We too had a Pro come to our place in the woods for several years to spray to keep all the various creepy crawlers out. He started after we had a few carpenters in the house in late Jan and Feb-he set some baits and gel and sticky traps after that to monitor activity. One treatment and we’ve never found another one again.

His subsequent treatments were spray applications to the exterior and the surrounding ground for prevention. He visited spring, mid summer and late summer/early fall and sprayed a different product each time. The service was at $400/year until last year until we cancelled and starts applications myself with a 4 gal Chapin backpack sprayed-I’m a bit over $200 for the sprayer and the 3 products, enough to last 3-4 years. So in the first year I’m saving 50% and after that it’s all free and clear.

Mid-Late April
Suspend SC

Mid June
Talistar P

Late August-Early Sept
Demand CS
Did he explain why he was using the several different types?
The pros I spoke with seemed to think Suspend Polyzone was an excellent product by itself for those treatments at 90 day intervals.
Just curious if there is something to the different products that I might benefit from, as I live in the woods too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've used Taurus SC for the last couple of years and it has worked well. Effects seem to last a couple months at least if I douse everything really well. I do have a private applicators license, but it's not required for this product. I think I got it off Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I was pretty sure that was the name of it but didn’t want to throw it out there. But yes Taurus is like the generic termidor. About the same but cheaper. Me an a exterminator are pretty good buddies. He mentioned it to me when I was talking about the price of termidor. I would still get termidor. I’ve seen what it can do, my house was infested with termites. No problems since. They say not to spray inside but I got a syringe and injected it into the wall in some spots.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Did he explain why he was using the several different types?
The pros I spoke with seemed to think Suspend Polyzone was an excellent product by itself for those treatments at 90 day intervals.
Just curious if there is something to the different products that I might benefit from, as I live in the woods too.
From what I gathered talking to the Tech/Owner a coup of times it was his experience as to what worked a bit better seasonally vs the bugs that were more active or seeking a home inside the structure at that time.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats it, don’t understand how you can buy it without a applicator license but ya... maybe it was kendo i needed a license for. That stuff will knock out every sort of beetle, worm or grasshopper.
Youtube vid I watched the guy said license for large volumes. Small ones are OK for Joe Blow to purchase. Funnier even, Amazon ships it. I just forward what I need to my wife, and she gets it delivered by her Prime account to her office. I don't do porch pirates. Anyways yea, Ill send in the order thanks to you guys. How much do you think I need for a 2500 sq ft footprint?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts