Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get advice, opinions, experiences with carts or wagons to be pulled behind my 1025R John Deere, to contain bulk materials, firewood, cut limbs, dirt, etc? Seems like the right one would be very handy. What brands should be considered? Size? I know John Deere and other manufacturers make their own, have seen on here someone had one purchased at Tractor Supply, etc.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I recommend a 6 foot or longer bed.
If all you are doing is pulling in open spaces, it does not really matter if you get a trailer or wagon. If you have to do a lot of backing or working in tight spaces, a trailer works a lot better. A wagon has a larger turning radius than a trailer & is more difficult to back than a trailer.

I also like the Country MFG. trailers that Kenny linked to.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 5' x 10' trailer that is also licensed for a vehicle so it can be used on/off road.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wagon

I recommend a 6 foot or longer bed.
If all you are doing is pulling in open spaces, it does not really matter if you get a trailer or wagon. If you have to do a lot of backing or working in tight spaces, a trailer works a lot better. A wagon has a larger turning radius than a trailer & is more difficult to back than a trailer.

I also like the Country MFG. trailers that Kenny linked to.
Good advice, Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am totally in the wrong spot I realize, but Having brain fart) how do you start a new thread? More specifically, how do I find the link to the John Deere $50 giveaway. I was going to start a thread to ask everyone. It ends tomorrow!

Help!

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts
I am totally in the wrong spot I realize, but Having brain fart) how do you start a new thread? More specifically, how do I find the link to the John Deere $50 giveaway. I was going to start a thread to ask everyone. It ends tomorrow!

Help!
The "Post New Thread" button is in the upper left corner when your viewing the forum you want to post to.

Here is the giveaway thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/greentractortalk-news/11715-deeres-$30-000-green-fever-giveaway-contest.html

Reactions: Bar C

·
Registered
342 Posts
I looked at many. Some were super nice, but at $1500 or more, were far out of my price range. So, I settled in the country mfg. line and modified it to add a hydraulic dump cylinder. It's the cat's meow. I have the 3 x 6 tandem axle, 1 ton model. I got it on sale and after the mods I think I have about $600 in it.

dump trailer.jpg

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
I looked at many. Some were super nice, but at $1500 or more, were far out of my price range. So, I settled in the country mfg. line and modified it to add a hydraulic dump cylinder. It's the cat's meow. I have the 3 x 6 tandem axle, 1 ton model. I got it on sale and after the modes I think I have about $600 in it.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/attachments/98130d1205672145-dump-trailer-pict0016-2-compressed.jpg
The link you posted took me to an ad on "another" tractor site. It hurt my eyes......

:mocking:

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
The link you posted took me to an ad on "another" tractor site. It hurt my eyes......

:mocking:
Ok, you got that fixed. Why not upload the picture to GTT? It'll stay here forever and not get the link broken if TBN does something.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I bought this one last year to pull behind my 1025R. $299 at Tractor Supply. That was the best price I could find at the time. It works really well and is very tough. When digging and throwing materials into the trailer, you do not have to worry about hitting the trailer with the shovel and damaging it as it is poly, not steel. Dump function is nice and it is rated for 1250 lbs.

However, it really boils down to what your needs are. I also have a 5x10 road trailer that I can pull behind my 1025R, but it does not have the dump function and I got tired of shoveling the dirt off of it.

Ohio Steel Professional Grade Poly Swivel Dump Cart, 12-1/2 cu. ft. - Tractor Supply Co.

Dave

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
342 Posts
I bought this one last year to pull behind my 1025R. $299 at Tractor Supply. That was the best price I could find at the time. It works really well and is very tough. When digging and throwing materials into the trailer, you do not have to worry about hitting the trailer with the shovel and damaging it as it is poly, not steel. Dump function is nice and it is rated for 1250 lbs.

However, it really boils down to what your needs are. I also have a 5x10 road trailer that I can pull behind my 1025R, but it does not have the dump function and I got tired of shoveling the dirt off of it.

Ohio Steel Professional Grade Poly Swivel Dump Cart, 12-1/2 cu. ft. - Tractor Supply Co.

Dave
Nice ground clearance and very good price. I used a cheapo agrifab 10 cu. ft for many years. Abused that little trailer with boulders, bricks, logs, and about everything else. It was steel and was still in very good shape when I sold it for $35. I got 15 years out of it. Just wasn't big enough (or maybe it was; I did get 15 years out of it). :laugh:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought one of the John Deere 17 cu ft carts for $350 a couple years ago at Home Depot. They used to carry them in-store, now it appears they are $400 online only but can be shipped to store for free.

Works great as long as you consider it is a manual dump for lighter weight materials. I wouldn't try to load the thing up to the 1,000 lbs it is rated for. Most I've hauled is about 500 lbs (bricks and drainage rock) and when I have heavy items in it I don't even try to dump.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The thing I like most about the CMI cart is its length. The 6' length with both ends removable is great for long brush. Holds much more in this application.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I looked at many. Some were super nice, but at $1500 or more, were far out of my price range. So, I settled in the country mfg. line and modified it to add a hydraulic dump cylinder. It's the cat's meow. I have the 3 x 6 tandem axle, 1 ton model. I got it on sale and after the mods I think I have about $600 in it.

View attachment 25633
Thanks, Gittyup, you're more skilled than I if you've done those modifications!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts