Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the good wife is eaten up with cooking with CI, today we gave away $800 worth of "really good, last I'll ever need" cookware. :nunu: and spent $400 on ""more" "CI"" we already dabbled in some. But a couple of days ago, she decided it is the "only way to go" :banghead: gotta love that mean old hide! :laugh:

So now I am thinking about surprising her with a new stove/oven this coming spring, for "my" birthday. Anyone have or familiarity with AGA, Everhot, Rayburn,, or ESSE or any other six burner cast iron replica style stove/ovens?

If so, looking for a little feed back - goods, bads, worth the $10,000 or not? :gizmo:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
CI sucks for boiling pasta,,, so, we have both.
The wife has spent maybe $200 on CI,,, of those,, after a decade,,, we daily use 3 pieces., all about 10'

A gas stove is a remarkable change from electric,,, We love our $600 stove (price on clearance)

4 burners, with a grill center oval burner,,, I could not cook on electric, ever, again,,,,

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
:munch:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I do most of cooking here and love cast iron but I can't keep my wife from putting it in dishwasher. It drives me nuts. I gave to clean it has soon has I'm done before we eat and put it away. After 42 years I can't teach her new tricks. Oh well. :good2:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CI sucks for boiling pasta,,, so, we have both.
The wife has spent maybe $200 on CI,,, of those,, after a decade,,, we daily use 3 pieces., all about 10'

A gas stove is a remarkable change from electric,,, We love our $600 stove (price on clearance)

4 burners, with a grill center oval burner,,, I could not cook on electric, ever, again,,,,
Ya, we are gas also, we did the electric coils, the electric glass top and then went gas some 15 years ago - no intentions to ever going back to electric. So, is your stove/oven a cast iron one? About the cheapest 6 burner cast iron one I am finding is about $4000 and range up near $10000. What I am trying to understand is - do I go with the lower end one or since I am stepping off into it (if I do) do I suck it up and go higher? There very well may be less expensive options out there, I just did a high level glance at them yesterday, I know nothing about them yet. This'll take some studying - I can buy another shotgun with that kind of money! Oh, she uses stoneware for breads and cookies, I'll have to see what she is using for pastas - maybe ceramic, not sure.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I do most of cooking here and love cast iron but I can't keep my wife from putting it in dishwasher. It drives me nuts. I gave to clean it has soon has I'm done before we eat and put it away. After 42 years I can't teach her new tricks. Oh well. :good2:
NOOOOOOOOOO. My heart just sank... :(

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a no-no, you might need to spank her! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
So, is your stove/oven a cast iron one?
I think anything over $1,500 is just a show piece in a high end kitchen,,
Ours is a GE Profile. It has a gas fired oven, also.
Most "high end" ranges have an electric oven,,, :dunno:

The high humidity in our gas fired oven is perfect for the type bread we make.
It just did the holiday turkey perfect.

There are no features on a high end range that could get me to go shopping,,,
I am SUPER happy with ours.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think anything over $1,500 is just a show piece in a high end kitchen,,
Ours is a GE Profile. It has a gas fired oven, also.
Most "high end" ranges have an electric oven,,, :dunno:

The high humidity in our gas fired oven is perfect for the type bread we make.
It just did the holiday turkey perfect.

There are no features on a high end range that could get me to go shopping,,,
I am SUPER happy with ours.
This is my first note, thanks. FYI, I will pose this question on a couple other sites also. Like when I needed tires earlier this year, I asked what you all thought and very happy with what I ended up with. Thanks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this cast iron stove/oven thing is harder than I thought it'd be. I can't find anything in the US, maybe one option is to buy an old one and upgrade it with new components. I ain't even gonna mention it to her unless I find a workable deal. If I did, she'd have six of them in the garage, she's crazy like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts