Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with other brands of forks with 4" wide fork tines and interested in Caster Carts, I need to know what the thickness of your fork tines are at the heel of the fork (right next to where it bends). The 4" wide forks we have are 35mm thick (1.4"). If the carts are designed for only this thickness, they may not be useful for someone with thicker forks. Please take a measurement when you have a chance and post here, PM me, or email.

Thanks

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
I have the Horst #3500's and they are 1.35" just ahead of the curve.
Are your forks 42", 48" or other? Are the longer forks thicker at the base or bend in order to support the same load further out?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
I have the Horst 3700# 4". 1.42" tine thickness just before the bend.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Chris,
I know not many people probably do this, but I store my bucket on my forks when I do not need it. I assume that I will/would no longer be able to do this with your casters in place due it throwing off the balance of the forks? My current barn is not large enough to put everything in a different spot.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd really need to see a photo or more description of how exactly you have it set on the forks but I don't think it's as bad as you might imagine. If nothing else, I can sign you up as a beta tester.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I would be glad to beta test. I can get a better picture, but since my gator is ...... STILL NOT HERE....:drama:.... My bucket is on the tractor and full of gourds.

Here is my make shift picture.

untitled.png

Please don't all ask me to photoshop stuff at once.

I would guess the bucket might put a slight amount of weight to the front of the forks?

I will get you a better picture later:lol: Once I get my Gator from John Deere...(Think they are listening?):lol:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Chris,
I know not many people probably do this, but I store my bucket on my forks when I do not need it. I assume that I will/would no longer be able to do this with your casters in place due it throwing off the balance of the forks? My current barn is not large enough to put everything in a different spot.
I used to do this as well. Now I have a 4' high table that I plunk the bucket onto and the forks set on the ground. It lets me keep the bucket up tight to the wall but still leaves room for the forks below it. Being 4' up, it allows me to easily connect / disconnect the bucket when the forks are on the ground underneath it.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would guess the bucket might put a slight amount of weight to the front of the forks?

Once I get my Gator from John Deere...(Think they are listening?):lol:
No, even though your drawing of your bucket is completely wrong, ha ha, I get the idea. Most of the weight of it will be toward the heels of the forks and it should sit stably. The only possible caveat is that you may have to put a couple of 2x4's across the forks to raise the bucket up a bit. There will be a lock screw on the top of the caster cart and you will have to stay above it - or I suppose you could get some screws that better suit your situation, like hex heads of just the right length so they will be relatively flat to the caster cart when tightened.

Meburdick has a great idea too!

Incidentally, I'd really like to know how you get the bucket in that position on the forks. Manually heft it around? Those things aren't light!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
No, even though your drawing of your bucket is completely wrong, ha ha, I get the idea. Most of the weight of it will be toward the heels of the forks and it should sit stably. The only possible caveat is that you may have to put a couple of 2x4's across the forks to raise the bucket up a bit. There will be a lock screw on the top of the caster cart and you will have to stay above it - or I suppose you could get some screws that better suit your situation, like hex heads of just the right length so they will be relatively flat to the caster cart when tightened.

Meburdick has a great idea too!

Incidentally, I'd really like to know how you get the bucket in that position on the forks. Manually heft it around? Those things aren't light!
I would typically drop a couple of 2x4s on the ground, set the bucket on them and unhook, grab the forks, slide them under, and lift.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have a shevling system built to do that, But I slid my MX-6 under the middle shelf and I connot get my bucket in far enough to take it off on the shelf. When the new barn goes up, life will be better!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
I have a shevling system built to do that, But I slid my MC-6 under the middle shelf and I connote get my bucket in far enough to take it off on the shelf. When the new barn goes up, life will be better!
Seems it's always something, makes ya wonder. I think the forks are tough to store. I know during the summer I am continually switching from forks to bucket. I am looking forward to Chris's idea for the caster cart. Not so much for winter storage but for ease of swap out in the garage. I had better be able to attach them to the FEL bucket somehow so I can roll it around also when I have the forks on.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had better be able to attach them to the FEL bucket somehow so I can roll it around also when I have the forks on.
It's surely possible to accomplish this, but not economically. Probably better off with two separate carts. But I'll toss it around. Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
I had better be able to attach them to the FEL bucket somehow so I can roll it around also when I have the forks on.
Wow I thought I was only thinking that, hadn't realized I actually wrote it.:wink:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts