Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that cat one implements on cat two tractors is a bad thing.

I got to thinking, and I thought what if you used a cat one thing on a 45-75 HP 5e? Those are virtually the same as the 4 series.

Thoughts?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
I think it sorta depends on what sort of "thing" ya wanna hang on there and what you plan on doing with it.

I don't think you'd have much problem running a Cat 1 rear finish mower, landscape rake or back blade. You might break a Cat 1 tiller or bend a Cat 1 sub-soiler though.

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
Blake knows this is a bad idea and has proved it on multiple occasions.... He's pretzled a few CAT 1 implements with his 5320. But then again, he likes to swing a big hammer. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I do it...

I put bushings in the cat2 lower link arms (tack welded in place) to fit cat1 pins. That seemed easier/cheaper than changing all of my equipment to cat2 from existing cat1.

I don't do any real heavy pulling... arena tilling, snow plowing, bush hog, post holes, etc. I've had no problems at all.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Registered
58 Posts
Like the others have said it depends what you will be doing and how hard you will be doing it, I've stuck cat 1 implements on my 5046R and on my 6125R and for most of them they were fine cause I went slow and careful, successful things were a 3 point harrow, land grader and rear mower. Unsuccessful was my disc that I used to keep the riding arena groomed, that was quickly destroyed due to just being too small and light. So it really depends how you will use them.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies. i was thinking that a 5075E is only 9 more HP than a 4066, so it could potentially be OK.

is it just the PTO horsepower the cat.1 implement is not rated for or is it pulling power?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
thanks for the replies. i was thinking that a 5075E is only 9 more HP than a 4066, so it could potentially be OK.

is it just the PTO horsepower the cat.1 implement is not rated for or is it pulling power?
In the two tractors that you mention, it would be the pulling power that would be the issue. The 5E would be in a whole different league.
Like the other guys said...If you're talking a mower or a post hole digger, no problem. If you're talking a box blade, or a sub soiler, you could wreck it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My 5055e will bend/break the cat 1 lift pins on my box blade without effort and before a cat can lick it's butt. I have the conversion pins which are cat 2 but the mounting threads are still 7/8" cat 1. I need to drill out the mounting holes and use straight cat 2 lift pins but haven't gotten around to it yet. Like others said, you will be OK if you don't push/pull too hard, but your tractor is really overpowered for cat 1 if you ever get it in a bind. BUT an overpowered tractor is almost always better than the opposite.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The only CAT2 attachment I have ever owned is this mower,,,

The box blade, and 6 foot blade are CAT1,,, I have never even used the adapter bushings,,, I just hook them up.

This tractor with the loader literally weighs double the 5055E (just over 10,000 pounds).

I consider how I operate the tractor "aggressive",,, but, not careless,,,

I have yet to damage an attachment,,, maybe I need to up my ground speed?? :dunno:

:lol:

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Registered
702 Posts
Perhaps my jungle is a bit more of a hostile work environment?
Using the box blade with the tines as a root rake is somewhat destructive when you hang a LARGE tree root, even at slow speeds. I also use it as a counterweight for my morbidly obese grapple and it doesn't like being backed into large immovable objects.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 5055e will bend/break the cat 1 lift pins on my box blade without effort and before a cat can lick it's butt. I have the conversion pins which are cat 2 but the mounting threads are still 7/8" cat 1. I need to drill out the mounting holes and use straight cat 2 lift pins but haven't gotten around to it yet. Like others said, you will be OK if you don't push/pull too hard, but your tractor is really overpowered for cat 1 if you ever get it in a bind. BUT an overpowered tractor is almost always better than the opposite.
Not all box blades have the pins you describe. Many have a pin supported from both sides often with the category 2 option as well so 3 plates with holes in them for the draft links one necked down pin goes through all three.

I use those 7/8 threaded but 1 1/8 pin in a number of implements and weld around the part that contacts the implement. There is actually quite some variation in the length of the pin and the shape of the boss that contacts the implement. If you do not need the perfect cat 1 dimension (I am often aiming for the cat 2 dimention 32+") weld the pin to a piece of plate with a hole.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Not all box blades have the pins you describe. Many have a pin supported from both sides often with the category 2 option as well so 3 plates with holes in them for the draft links one necked down pin goes through all three.

I use those 7/8 threaded but 1 1/8 pin in a number of implements and weld around the part that contacts the implement. There is actually quite some variation in the length of the pin and the shape of the boss that contacts the implement. If you do not need the perfect cat 1 dimension (I am often aiming for the cat 2 dimention 32+") weld the pin to a piece of plate with a hole.
I had thought about the welding because the pins always bend/break in the threaded portion, but the double-supported pin sounds like a better, more rugged overall solution. I always have to go overkill when I beef up my equipment or else it's pretty much guaranteed to fail due to my (apparent) lack of mercy when using it. I imagine another welding project is in my near future. Thank you for the idea.:good2:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I had thought about the welding because the pins always bend/break in the threaded portion, but the double-supported pin sounds like a better, more rugged overall solution. I always have to go overkill when I beef up my equipment or else it's pretty much guaranteed to fail due to my (apparent) lack of mercy when using it. I imagine another welding project is in my near future. Thank you for the idea.:good2:
This is only rated for 50HP,,,

Probably something besides the pins is the weak link?? :dunno:

Reactions: mtrmn
1 - 15 of 15 Posts