Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter found this swarm of bees in our front yard. I was able to catch them and start a new colony.
Swarm.jpg

And here is a link to a video I made after dumping the bees into a hive body. The bees that remained in the box had to move into the hive body on their own. Notice just a few seconds into the video, near the center of the entrance, a bee turns it's stinger toward the box and starts fanning her wings. In no time there are several more that join her. These bees are fanning the Queen's "perfume" toward the box so those inside and flying around will know the queen is already inside the hive. Notice how the bees "run" across the entrance to get inside the hive near the queen. I thought some of you would be interested in seeing this happen.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=371219342988351&l=926453862822825490

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Brings back memories, thanks

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Fascinating! I have no bee keeping experience, and that was very interesting. I am glad that you mentioned the bees turning and fanning scent toward the box. I might not have realized what was happening. Thanks for posting the information, and the video.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Years ago the State came through and made us burn our hives I guess because of some disease or maybe the honey producers were not making enough money. That is the day we stopped with the bees.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Years ago the State came through and made us burn our hives I guess because of some disease or maybe the honey producers were not making enough money. That is the day we stopped with the bees.
Bummer indeed. I've never heard of that being done before. Had to be some serious disease or pest threat they wanted to stop spreading.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
I remember going to get a swarm back and I cut the limb off the tree (similar to your picture Wayne). I must say I totally under estimated the weight of soooo many bees. It was a long trip back to our hives, not that it was extremely heavy just a very awkward thing to carry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts