Green Tractor Talk banner

When checking your axel bolts were yours loose or missing?

• Yes, I had missing bolts

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Yes, I had loose bolts

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No missing or loose bolts

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I trust that John Deere tightened them down and will roll the dice :-)

Votes: 1 4.2%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an update to original thread by @Big here (2017 2032r Caution!) where his issue was found on the same model i have the 2017 2032R, but others comment there as well as a number of other forums I'm on that this issue has been found on many other tractors for quite some time.

Intent here is to consolidate with an update and provide a video of my experience with the situation in hopes to save others; time, money, aggravation, and most importantly prevent any accidents.

ISSUE:
Bolts connecting the front axel trunnion to the frame of my tractor, found two on the right missing and two on the left finger tight after just 125 hrs. Thread above was 25 hrs and others have commented that they took delivery only to find these bolts loose.

UPDATE as of March 13, 2020:
So, I was able to fix my issue with the help of this group and a few Facebook groups where i shared my experience. A couple of points of good news;
1) I was able to find the bolts in bulk at my JD distributor and bought 6 for the cost of 1 of the official part numbers ($2.10). Part numbers in the original post were not available at any JD and each bolt cost $2.10... If you choose to use the official JD part vs. the bulk bolt here are the part numbers: Bolt Part Number LVU30495 and Washer Part Number LVU30500

2) I was able to fix it myself by rolling the bucket... this did not work previously because I was not on level ground and the holes would not align even while on a jack stand or with the rolled bucket.

3) I did not get the torque specs even when asking JD, they just said use the blue Loctite, so I did... Since then I received updates that these are the torque specs on that bolt; M12 10.9 class bolt the torque requirements are; 97 lb-ft (132 M-m) dry and 76 lb-ft (103 N-m) lubricated.

4) I created a short video
that explains my situation and calls out credit to this group and the others as I would not have likely fixed this on my own w/out the help and now knowing what I know, i'd have been pissed that I spent any money to have it fixed for me... it was that easy.

In the future I plan to do more videos as between my brother and I we have a 1025R, 2032R, and 4052R and loads of attachments. We have about 20 other videos at the moment, so if you are into hunting, fishing, trappping, habitat management, and soon to be sawmilling with a new Woodmizer LT-35; check us out.

Thanks again for all the insight and help!
Josh

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Getting lots of replies on Facebook forums of others having these same issues. Most recent was a 2018 2038R with the exact two bolts missing... While I'm seeing this I have JD mechanics telling me they've never heard of the issue... So maybe folks are finding it easy enough to fix themselves and not reporting or it just hasn't been in mass. Between the instances here as well as a few other groups, it seems more prevalent than it should be.

Be safe and check your bolts!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Rasman sounds like good advice... I suppose it is a good practice... I'm planning to mark my bolts with a white line so i can visibly check with just a walk around... Definitely wasn't something that I had expected to happen, but I suppose its more common than i thought. The vibration is significant... I've added loctite to four bolts that originally came loose. We shall see how that goes...

Reactions: DC425 and BigJim55

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heads up to all you new 2, 3, and 4 series tractor owners... I'm hearing from others in the Facebook forums that this issue is still quite prevalent and that new tractor owners are finding loose bolts. Make sure those trunnion bolts on the front axle are tightened down upon receipt of your tractor and best to keep an eye on them...

Better safe than sorry!
Josh

Reactions: Green Bean

·
Registered
70 Posts
I checked mine 2038R about a week ago. 2 were backed out about 1/2”, about to fall out. 6 of the 8 bolts were loose. I took them all out 1 at a time added blue Loctite & put them back. When reinstalling I had to torque the bolts multiple times before they were all tight. Seems like the axle trunnion sides aren’t exactly parallel with the frame, so the frame has to get squeezed in to touch the trunnion surface.

The last time I know I checked these bolts was when Big brought it up, I think early 2018. At that time they were tight, so I didn’t take them out and Loctite them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE...
checked my bolts the other day and the ones I replaced and used loctite are in good shape. Another one missing and other finger right on the left side. Prior missing ones were on the right.
Seeing lots of new deliveries... well worth checking your bolts.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Registered
90 Posts
UPDATE...
checked my bolts the other day and the ones I replaced and used loctite are in good shape. Another one missing and other finger right on the left side. Prior missing ones were on the right.
Seeing lots of new deliveries... well worth checking your bolts.
When I was at the dealer Friday going over my new 4052R we touched on the loose bolts topic really quick. They said that there use to be more cases of it, and the newer machines are not coming up with the loose bolt problem. When we looked at my 4052R the bolts were black, and according to the dealer was a recent change from the previous silver colored ones. Here is a picture of mine.

Maybe JD has come up with a solution... I will be keeping an eye on them just in case.

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
When I was at the dealer Friday going over my new 4052R we touched on the loose bolts topic really quick. They said that there use to be more cases of it, and the newer machines are not coming up with the loose bolt problem. When we looked at my 4052R the bolts were black, and according to the dealer was a recent change from the previous silver colored ones. Here is a picture of mine.

Maybe JD has come up with a solution... I will be keeping an eye on them just in case.
You might be on to something. I checked JD Parts and they are still showing the bolt as LVU30564 (M14-40) with a finish of "T" which is "Zink Flake". So perhaps the parts illustrations have not been updated with new part numbers.

I found some 4052R photos on-line.

Older 4052R

Newer 4052R

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
The ones that fell out of my tractor were black.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Yup. From my original post in 2017 2032r Caution!

He picked up a bolt and asked where to put it and I told him to put it on the work bench. I would later put it in my bolt bins. The bolt was black in color.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Funny thing is they replaced them with shiney ones.
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ones that fell out of my tractor were black.
Mine too. And I also have silver ones behind them. But all black that fell out.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Folks, here is a post on my Youtube video... this guy wasn't as lucky as the rest of us that found the missing bolts... complete axle dropped off his 2018 2038R...

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Big @HomesteadJoe

Thought I'd share this update, which I hope to be even better news in the future...

The positive here is John Deere has seen the video I produced back in April about the loose axle/trunnion bolts on the 2-series tractors... The short version if you don't want to watch the video is they are now aware, my dealer is picking up tractor and DTAC is being opened. This is being treated as a top priority I'm told.

More to come when I know more... Tractor was picked up this evening...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

HardyBrothersOutdoors
Registered

Joined 6 mo ago
48 Posts
#112 a moment ago
Final Details here in this video regarding the new DTAC Case# 1212048 and resolution for my 2017 2032R...

If you have had this issue please check it out... if you have not, please keep an eye on your bolts.

I have purchased some paint markers to mark the 8 new bolts so I can keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How many total bolts are supposed to be on each side? 4 and 4? I’m definitely missing some. Bought this tractor used and they’re completely gone. Just want to make sure I’m looking at the right place and have the correct amount of bolts. Thanks!

In the pictures below it looks like I have 4 on each side, but also a lot of “empty” holes. Are there supposed to be bolts in all of those? It looks like there were washers around some of them?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many total bolts are supposed to be on each side? 4 and 4?

Those are the correct four bolts... it appears there was an other attachment removed, possibly a front end snow blower or something? or midmount mower... If you check out my first video there is a drawing early in the video that shows where the 4 trunnion bolts go...

Reactions: wildbranch2007
1 - 20 of 29 Posts