Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my work platform/man lift a couple of days ago, completed a full inspection, then put it on my forks for testing. After the inspection I noticed that I did not receive a tool basket like Kenny, and like Kenny stated, the chains are too long. So on with the testing.

I thought I would use fertilizer bags for the test, and in fact did use them for the first test. It was after that test when my 70 year old wife decided she wanted to take a ride.

I lifted my wife of 47 years up to the roof, gently curling as needed and lifting slowly. All was well and it was time for her to come down, test completed. It was at the 6' point where I moved, hit the joystick, and tilted the basket forward. There wasn't much tilt, and there would have been no issues, IF THE SAFETY CHAIN HAD NOT BROKEN. There was very little slack, but regardless, the chain broke and the cage slid OFF of the forks. My wife was thrown forward with the cage making contact with the ground and sliding off on top of her. I jumped off the tractor, which was in park, rolled the cage and pulled her out. We were lucky. She has a left shoulder covered with road rash from the driveway, cuts and bruises on her arms, but no head or leg injuries,

I couldn't lock the joystick, and still don't know how I hit with my ass, but the result in this case could have been death and I'm still struggling with this.

My plan is as follows;
1. All chains will be replaced with commercial grade high strength chains and hooks.
2. The basket will now be strapped and tight to the fork frame.
3. Front entry chains will be replaced with steel tubing which will pin to the basket.

Please, get rid of the cheap chains that come with this product.

Thanks,
BL

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Wow, glad everyone is for the most part OK. Yep scratch that basket off the list...

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
That could have been a lot worse, glad you guys are OK.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,460 Posts
Wow Bob, that's not good, glad it was minor injuries for the most part.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,498 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse for you or the Mrs, Bob.

All the commercial man lift baskets I've ever used had heavy T-bolts under the fork pockets to tighten them solid to the basket in addition to the safety chains. The idea there is the T-bolts keep the basket from being able to rock or tilt on the forks, plus help prevent (but not eliminate) sliding to & fro.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Wow that's not good. I can't believe they would supply such a cheap, junk chain to be used for a safety chain, it should be something that can be relied on to keep the basket and occupant from falling off of the forks. Thankfully she wasn't seriously injured, it could have been worse.

·
Premium Member
18,093 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3032e ,D160 fel, box blade, bush hog pallet forks,
94 Posts
I'm happy to hear the injury was no worse than it was. As someone looking for a man lift basket I will be extra careful. One would think the testing at the factory would have found a defect like weak welds during the QA process. You better have the Mrs. an over the top Easter basket this year.

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
Wow! Thank you for posting. I know these platforms have safety concerns when used on a tractor but I never would have imagined the safety chain breaking so easily. I guess we’ve become too trusting of Chinese junk. Glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Very good news to hear that the outcome was not nearly as bad as it could be.

it's almost a given that when buying low cost junk from china or india that a thorough inspection and re-engineering has to be done.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. And my wife thanks you all as well. I have no complaints with the basket itself, but I won't use it again until I've replaced the chains. I have a 4000 strap that's going to secure the basket to the forks, and I'm wondering if I might put a pin through each fork. Thanks again, to all of you.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,374 Posts
I have a 4000 strap that's going to secure the basket to the forks, and I'm wondering if I might put a pin through each fork.
I've use these for MANY years...

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Glad your wife was not hurt worse. Thanks for the heads up on the safety issue. It's hard to admit something like dumping your wife on the ground but it may very well save someone else from taking a longer fall.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 69 Posts