Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all my aches and pains, and especially my inability to get a good night's sleep, I decided to purchase some CBD oil. Stopped at a local store yesterday and spoke with what seemed to be a very knowledgeable young man. Being ignorant and new to the proposed benefits, I took his advise and purchased an eye dropper bottle of liquid CBD oil. My main objective for trying this is for use as a sleeping aid, however, he told me that it would help alleviate the pain in my knee and back.

Everyone that I have spoken with, has had nothing but positive things to say about the use of this product. So, I'm going to give it a go tonight. Tell me what you know and what you use it for.
Thinking.gif

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
The real Sulley Bear takes CBD oil AM and PM and has for about 2 years. It seems to help her flexibility and she remains very active for a large 12 plus year old German Shepherd (107 pounds). We noticed she does better with stairs, etc.

I take a few other supplements, such as Moringa and Hemp Extract pills. My wife swears her Migraine headaches are much fewer and much less severe with the Moringa capsules. I personally haven't taken CBD oil. One thing I have noticed is there is a ton of imported from China garbage sold and I won't use that. Truth is, you hope the people assuring the product is made in the USA are being honest, but how do you really know?

The prices on the CBD oil are all over the place. I get Sulley's from Amazon and pay about $22 for 2 bottles with eye dropper tops, I forget the size. Each bottle lasts about a month with daily use. One thing very odd about the CBD oil is I have rarely been able to get the subsequent purchase from the previous supplier. In other words, when i go on to Amazon to the "re-order" section or "Buy Again", the previous months source of CBD oil "not available", and it doesn't make sense as there are dozens of sources to choose from. But it has happened time and time again, where I end up getting from a new supplier, via Amazon. Must claim to be made in the USA and have what appears to be a good track record with reviews.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm not inclined at all toward homeopathic nostrums, but I did try Green Roads CBD oil for awhile. It's expensive and I personally found the benefit to be negligible...didn't really notice any arthritis effect. I'd persist, but I'm a data-driven kind of guy and there's no peer-reviewed medical literature that actually demonstrates any objective benefit.

OTOH, I have no reason to believe that CBD oil causes any harm, so no reason that anyone interested shouldn't try it - the brain is a powerful thing and one should never discount the placebo effect. I'm just far from convinced that it does anything at all, and I am suspicious of the medical benefit of any non-pharmaceutical preparation that's sold online, or in grocery stores and convenience gas stations.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
My wife uses the CBD oil and also a cream. She claims her hip issue gets better with rubbing the cream on the area. The oil makes her sleep better, a teaspoon is all it takes. We live in Mass and have a local dispensary 20 minutes away so we know she is getting the local grown, (they do grow their own weed and have the lab and kitchen to make the products). I have been in the building as the building official and have witnessed all the products being made and grown.. I have not used any of the products but my wife, SIL and one of my retired state police friends use the oils and creams.. They say it works. This is not a hemp product they are marijuana products. She can't say if the hemp works or not. Sorry.
Get yourself a magical butter machine and a ounce of weed and make your own. I have friends at the American Legion that have done just that and they are in their 70's, they swear by it but they grow their own marijuana as it is legal here to do so. They don't smoke it as a couple have COPD and they are not doing this to get high, but they make the oils and the creams, one make his own cookies and he now sleeps very well by doing so. Eats a cookie around 6pm when his pain is in blossom.. Doesn't make him a bad person but Marijuana does have mysterious medical capabilities that actually work. Maybe some day I'll try some but my pains are tolerable for now and I'm 66 years old. I don't even take aspirin or any of that stuff as I don't get headaches or constant pain.
Good luck with your trials and I hope your pain subsides.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
....... Doesn't make him a bad person but Marijuana does have mysterious medical capabilities that actually work. Maybe some day I'll try some but my pains are tolerable for now and I'm 66 years old. I don't even take aspirin or any of that stuff as I don't get headaches or constant pain.
Good luck with your trials and I hope your pain subsides.
Unfortunately, there's just not any peer-reviewed medical literature that indicates any valid medical use for marijuana or hemp-based products...mostly just anecdotes. No doubt one reason for that is that marijuana is classified as a schedule 1 drug, which certainly inhibits research. The value of these products, real and perceived, is hugely affected by that, and by the strong "legalize marijuana" movement turning it into a social and political issue, all of which strongly muddle the issue of actual medical benefit.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
With all my aches and pains, and especially my inability to get a good night's sleep, I decided to purchase some CBD oil. Stopped at a local store yesterday and spoke with what seemed to be a very knowledgeable young man. Being ignorant and new to the proposed benefits, I took his advise and purchased an eye dropper bottle of liquid CBD oil. My main objective for trying this is for use as a sleeping aid, however, he told me that it would help alleviate the pain in my knee and back.

Everyone that I have spoken with, has had nothing but positive things to say about the use of this product. So, I'm going to give it a go tonight. Tell me what you know and what you use it for. View attachment 728776
Don't expect overnight success as few things provide those types of results. The body usually has to adjust to the intake of something and then process it, to the extent possible. Even anti depressants typically take 3 to 5 weeks to begin to notice any improvement, so when people taking them state they feel better a day or two or even a week after starting, its simply themselves convincing themselves it helps.......Even the same to some degree with some hypertension and hyperlipidemia medications, don't expect them to solve the issues in a matter of a short period of time. It often takes building up the medicine in your system to produce a result to some medications or supplements.

With your history of severe hypertension and the debilitating headaches, etc., I would also ask your doctor about adding various things to the RX drugs they have prescribed to you to deal with those issues. You certainly don't need anything which either reduces the impact of the RX drugs to control your hypertension, etc. CBD oil is supposed to be void of THC and not have those chemicals in them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I put off my spinal cord simulator surgery because of the MIL and I'm going to try to get back down to 200lbs see if that helps but friends keep telling us about CBD and I tell just in high school I don't do drugs and I won't do them now.

·
Registered
22,080 Posts
I'm not inclined at all toward homeopathic nostrums, but I did try Green Roads CBD oil for awhile. It's expensive and I personally found the benefit to be negligible...didn't really notice any arthritis effect. I'd persist, but I'm a data-driven kind of guy and there's no peer-reviewed medical literature that actually demonstrates any objective benefit.

OTOH, I have no reason to believe that CBD oil causes any harm, so no reason that anyone interested shouldn't try it - the brain is a powerful thing and one should never discount the placebo effect. I'm just far from convinced that it does anything at all, and I am suspicious of the medical benefit of any non-pharmaceutical preparation that's sold online, or in grocery stores and convenience gas stations.
I tend to agree with you.

My Rheumatologist, whom I’ve been seeing for some 6 years now, hasn’t said a word to me about any supplements besides Vitamin D2. I figure this guy who is affiliated with the college of rheumatology knows what he is talking about and would recommend something to me if it would help.

Therefore I haven’t tried anything on my own and doubt I ever will.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Unfortunately, there's just not any peer-reviewed medical literature that indicates any valid medical use for marijuana or hemp-based products...mostly just anecdotes. No doubt one reason for that is that marijuana is classified as a schedule 1 drug, which certainly inhibits research. The value of these products, real and perceived, is hugely affected by that, and by the strong "legalize marijuana" movement turning it into a social and political issue, all of which strongly muddle the issue of actual medical benefit.

Not to argue but there are reports and articles relating the use of marijuana as an oil product and does it work. There have been medical happenings that the so called experts cannot even explain,, I have to ask why not? They've been researching this since I was in high school. I do not use it but I cannot say with total confidence, as I have seen the evidence it works, that it doesn't and it's just an anecdote. People just have to get away from this is a pothead only product.. It is not.
Respectfully,,, TJ1

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You want the THC free CBD. If yusing it as a topical, try the roll on. It works wonders for my wife, and I’ve tried it. We use the strong stuff, so if you want good effects from CBD, get the stuff with good weight in it. The tincture doesn’t do that great for arthritis, unless you use very large doses and still results are all over the place. I think a lot of people review something they just tried and thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread so those reviews go towards a huge portion of the general consensus. It’s quite harmless imo. It mellows you out, but you don’t feel stoned. It’s great for anti anxiety which I have major anger issues. For an over the counter deal, you just gotta experiment. You can’t OD on it, as far as I know, and theres little to no side effects except drowsiness at night. It definately works as a sleep aide. Start out with a 750 mg tincture, and get a strong roll on like 1000 to 1500 and apply it as much as you want.
This is all just my experience and opinion, and wanted to share so take it or leave it.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Don't expect overnight success as few things provide those types of results. The body usually has to adjust to the intake of something and then process it, to the extent possible. Even anti depressants typically take 3 to 5 weeks to begin to notice any improvement, so when people taking them state they feel better a day or two or even a week after starting, its simply themselves convincing themselves it helps.......Even the same to some degree with some hypertension and hyperlipidemia medications, don't expect them to solve the issues in a matter of a short period of time. It often takes building up the medicine in your system to produce a result to some medications or supplements.

With your history of severe hypertension and the debilitating headaches, etc., I would also ask your doctor about adding various things to the RX drugs they have prescribed to you to deal with those issues. You certainly don't need anything which either reduces the impact of the RX drugs to control your hypertension, etc. CBD oil is supposed to be void of THC and not have those chemicals in them.
Since starting this thread this morning, I have been to several other retailers. They all have told me about delayed benefits and to consult my doctor since I'm on blood pressure medication. I'll call my doctor next week to get his input. In the mean time, I'm still planning on trying it. My plan is to start with half doses and then increase only if necessary. I have been monitoring my blood pressure daily (I keep a computer log) and will watch for any changes.

It's my understanding that "full spectrum" CBD oil can and more than likely contains trace amounts of THC. The oil I purchased, is "broad spectrum" which is supposedly THC free.

To everyone that has responded, I appreciate your input. I don't necessarily agree nor disagree with anyone, but this is something I need to try. I'll let you all know what I think in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Not to argue but there are reports and articles relating the use of marijuana as an oil product and does it work. There have been medical happenings that the so called experts cannot even explain,, I have to ask why not? They've been researching this since I was in high school. I do not use it but I cannot say with total confidence, as I have seen the evidence it works, that it doesn't and it's just an anecdote. People just have to get away from this is a pothead only product.. It is not.
Respectfully,,, TJ1
When your doctor endorses a medical treatment or an operation for you, you don't want him or her doing so on the basis of "yeah, that seems like it might be right". " My neighbor tells me that it works", or "I read in Cosmopolitan that some people said that it works". Physicians are obligated to base medical and surgical treatments on the results of solid, well-designed studies and clinical research that confirms with acceptable statistical probablity that that treatment works...based on what is called in medicine "Level 1 evidence" and reported in peer-reviewed medical literature. That simply does not exist for marijuana or CBD. There's no actual science supporting the medical benefits of marijuana or CBD. Not that there isn't any benefit, there's just no proof that there is, only rumor and anecdote.

If you want to talk about recreational use of marijuana...that's a completely different thing. I have no problem with that if that's what people want to do (other than the fact that it's illegal). But it is absolutely unwarranted to propose marijuana or CBD oil as a medical treatment for anything (there is one paper that does demonstrate efficacy for some types of siezure disorders). There are simply no valid medical studies that validate that use and that is the main reason that it's illegal for a physician to prescribe marijuana in any form. That might change if the FDA ever moved marijuana out of Schedule 1. I'm absolutely indifferent to that possibility, personally. It would certainly facility marijuana research.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
To everyone that has responded, I appreciate your input. I don't necessarily agree nor disagree with everybody, but this is something I need to try. I'll let you all know what I think in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Greg
I have no issue with people using CBD oil. I've tried CBD oil myself. While I don't believe that it's effective, I absolutely believe that it won't harm you.

"Can't hurt, might help".

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have mixed feelings about what doctors are prescribing people these days. The pharmaceutical industry is full of pill pushers.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
When your doctor endorses a medical treatment or an operation for you, you don't want him or her doing so on the basis of "yeah, that seems like it might be right". " My neighbor tells me that it works", or "I read in Cosmopolitan that some people said that it works". Physicians are obligated to base medical and surgical treatments on the results of solid, well-designed studies and clinical research that confirms with acceptable statistical probablity that that treatment works...based on what is called in medicine "Level 1 evidence" and reported in peer-reviewed medical literature. That simply does not exist for marijuana or CBD. There's no actual science supporting the medical benefits of marijuana or CBD. Not that there isn't any benefit, there's just no proof that there is, only rumor and anecdote.

If you want to talk about recreational use of marijuana...that's a completely different thing. I have no problem with that if that's what people want to do (other than the fact that it's illegal). But it is absolutely unwarranted to propose marijuana or CBD oil as a medical treatment for anything (there is one paper that does demonstrate efficacy for some types of siezure disorders). There are simply no valid medical studies that validate that use and that is the main reason that it's illegal for a physician to prescribe marijuana in any form. That might change if the FDA ever moved marijuana out of Schedule 1. I'm absolutely indifferent to that possibility, personally. It would certainly facility marijuana research.
You are wrong, research Massachusetts law on marijuana and physician responsibilities concerning prescriptions.. I'm done, but thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You are wrong, research Massachusetts law on marijuana and physician responsibilities concerning prescriptions.. I'm done, but thanks for the posts.
I don't mean to me argumentative, but YOU are wrong. When individual states (like Massachusetts) "legalize" medical marijuana, they are not allowing doctors to "prescribe" it...they can only allow doctors to "recommend" its use by a particular patient, or "authorize" a marijuana dispensary to sell it to them. Prescriptive authority for any scheduled medication is a Federal prerogative and requires Federal licensing from the Drug Enforcement Adminstration (DEA) - nothing to do with that state. The individual states that have "legalized" medical marijuana haven't "legalized" it at all...they have merely said that state law enforcement can't enforce Federal laws against that. In the meantime, "prescription" of marijuana by any DEA license holder (Physicians etc), a Schedule 1 drug, remains completely illegal and marijuana use, possession, distribution, and facilitating distribution ("prescribing") is a violation of the Federal Controlled Substances Act. It comes with "potential" Federal prosecution, huge fines, and jail terms, statutorily. The Feds recognize the current social and political climate regarding marijuana and approach it, for the time being, with a sort of "wink wink, nod nod" concept not unlike Immigraton laws. But marijuana, at the Federal level, remains a Schedule 1 drug and that means that "prescribing" it, or facilitating its distribution in any way (authorizing a patient to buy it from a state dispensary), is a clear violation of the Controlled Substances Act and a Federal offense.

Physicians are licensed to practice Medicine by the individual states, and each state has complete jurisdiction over that license to practice in that state. BUT, a physician's ability to prescribe medication comes entirely from the Federal government. Any doctor that prescribes a Schedule 1 drug, regardless of the laws of that state, can face Federal prosecution. That hasn't happened yet, that I'm aware of, and may never happen...BUT it is entirely conceivable that the Feds could decide to revoke a physician's DEA license if they have violated the Controlled Substances Act by "factilitating the distribution of a Schedule 1 drug (marijuana)". The previous Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, stated this on more than one occasion. Every time I renew my DEA license, I sign the application form that includes the agreement that I will abide by the Controlled Substances Act and understand the penalties for not doing so.

I can't fault your ignorance on the subject. It's a complicated concept, but one that is well-known by physicians or anyone else with a DEA license. It would be very hard for me to practice medicine if I was unable to prescribe medication.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I feel I can post on this subject from experience. Probley smoked more pot than anyone here in my life since I was around 16 years of age. Now 68 so it has been a while off and on. Did it for around 25 years and quit for 30 years and started again when it was legal in Wash State. Pot got me off 4 - 7mg Hydrocodone's a day stopping cold turkey 3 years ago after on them for over 8 years. They thought that was a good drug for me then said wow you can't have them anymore we found a trace of pot in a drug test? They used to give me 180 at a time too! In fact there were several VA doctors prescribing them at the same time so I had tons of them! I told them my other VA doctor said try pot it may help to get off the pain meds which are real bad for you!!! Well it did but for some reason the fact I cut the hydro's in haft did not mean anything to her? She said either pot or pain meds. I said the pain meds are totally screwing up my digestive track, hiding other problems and hard to drive! So I will smoke pot and you can keep your pain drugs. Been several years since I did this and since have stopped pot due to these new problems and taking tests. I used to have good kidneys till the VA got ahold of me and put 30-$40,000.00 worth of drugs down me over the years. They had me on 13 different ones at once! Around 8 years of $1,000.00 a month of pig ensigns and close to 8,000 hydrocodone's in 10 years. Not sure how many $200.00 inhalers that almost killed me till I quit them. I was on 3 of them a day way to many drugs to clear out every day with my poor screwed up kidneys!! So down to a couple drugs none are pain meds. I can suffer I remember to well what happen it the past. I was accused of pain pill shopping at a hospital having a Pancreatic attack? Got the guy fired who said that to me later. Now back to pot it does not stop pain it takes your mind off it and for long periods of time you forget but to keep it working you have to not let your tolerance build up to much. After a while doing it your not very high and most can't tell I am but it did work. Alcohol works to but then every one knows I am drunk when I did it? Big problem is I have COPD and can't smoke anymore with out coughing my head off and specks of blood showing up once in a while. So I quit. There going to put me back on a mind drug I hope it replaces what the pot did for me. It made me able to eat food and not doing it food is not fun to eat? I was prescribed Synthetic Mariana THC in pill form they have it for Cancer people to eat food during Chemo. The pills work just like pot but you don't smoke it. Problem is the VA would not pay for them until I got cancer and pot was 1/4 the price to smoke it! So they do prescribe pot to people and for some it works others it does not. Same with the Oils it does not work for me but some of my friends swear by it. Pot Heads have a bad opinion to the public but so do drunks abuse both of those drugs and bad things can happen. If I had drank alcohol for my pain all those years I would be dead like my father who took his life when I was 12 because of pain for so many years! In fact the doctors keep trying to blame most my problems on drinking till I tell them I have not drank in 35 years? When I did drink I did it to get drunk not really a social thing when your a drunk. Same thing if your loaded out of your mind. All drugs have side effects the Pot over the years has messed with my lungs off and on but stopping seems to fix it? The other drugs the VA gave me that were legal has destroyed parts of my body and several time has almost killed me do to reactions. Now I carry a Eppi Pen the VA gives me for taking there drugs. So when the subject come up about Drugs or Pot the Legal Drugs have done way more damage to me then pot ever did! Cigs did most the damage for my COPD. Smoked for about 48 years! Now that is something that should be outlawed but isn't?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts