Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I used 7/16" OSB with 16" center joists. 1/4" might sag between the joist over time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
1/4" will sag. I have seen it before, go with the 7/16". It is more difficult to install by yourself, but if there is a will, there is a way. I did a 30'x50' shop ceiling by myself 12yrs ago and worked off of scaffolding and a 2x4 jig I made.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
How tall is ceiling?? perhaps use a drywall lift. I used them on three garage ceilings and they work great. With my two sons one on each end of drywall sheet me on ground running the lift worked out great. :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
It's isn't that much cheaper, I was just thinking of the weight putting it up.

Thanks for the feedback.
NO question 7/16" is heavier. I used a sheet material jack to put mine up. I wouldn't want to put it up without a jack.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I wanted something for a ceiling in one of my garages,,,
I used foil faced insulation board.

You could hold up two sheets with one hand,,, it is light.
It is heat and light reflective,, so the garage can be heated, and light is not lost in the rafters.

I have had it up for over 20 years,, no sag.
I think I put it up with dry wall screws, and an electric drill,,, by myself,,,

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts

It is heat and light reflective,, so the garage can be heated, and light is not lost in the rafters.

I would use this or , a blue board type insulation, lighter than OSB. gives some insulation .. can get in a lot of different thickness.

If you still go with the OBS rent a dry wall lift last time I rented one thinking it cost me $50 a day.. :bigthumb: I did apx 24' x 32' around kitchen cabinets , dinning room. living room and hall way by myself in two day.
Lift was well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I always rented the drywall jack. they rent for around 30$ per day.

I even use it to set in a pull down stariway.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I like that. Can I blow insulation in on top of that?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I like that. Can I blow insulation in on top of that?
:dunno:i don't see no reason u can't ! but how thick do ya go then? 1/2-3/4 :dunno:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
What about hanging drywall. Its cheap and easy to work with, you dont have to tape it. My two garages are sheetrocked but not taped or painted. Just sweep them off once a year and they still look new. been in 28 years. I blew insulation over them. With the jack and 12 foot pieces it goes up fast. with the 12 foot i need help lifting them on the jack but in my 24x30 garage the seam is down the middle. Lastgarage it did at sisters we used 8 ft 1/2' with a power screw gun took us a morning to do her 24x24. on it we staggered the seams.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Stick with 7/16" OSB. The 1/2" insulation board costs about the same as 7/16" OSB. Insulation board does not have much holding strength with nails when you put weight on it.
7/16" OSB allows you to hang shop lights anywhere on the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Personally Bubber, I'm in the camp of drywall. Cost is much the same as OSB, well sort of depending on the price in your area. But also drywall is not combustible, if you ever had a fire event in the shop that OSB would catch on fire quite easily or at least add fuel to a fire, drywall would not. Also, I am sold on the idea of a lifter ever since I drywalled my kitchen a few years ago, here is a shot in use. I rented it for not too much too.

2012-05-13 Cabinets small (145).jpg

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
As a side note to the use of drywall in a garage. Regardless if the garage is attached to your house or a stand alone outbuilding, you should at least use fire rated drywall which I believe is 5/8" thick. In addition, it's code in just about everyplace in the country. Kind of a PIA to hang because of its weight, but it could be a necessity based on code & insurance claims if you have a fire.

·
Registered
474 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts