Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got up to date with the rest of the world and got an iPhone 7. I have a pole barn with metal roof and sides. I soon realized that I can’t get any cell phone signal in there. The only place I can get one bar of signal, is if I place the phone on a window sill. Is there some type of gadget that I can get in order to help boost a phone signal? The shed is 30x50 in size and is a wood post and frame type. Here is a photo of it:

99360BF8-82C5-4834-89B2-9091ED7133A1.jpeg

·
Registered
550 Posts
Is there some type of gadget that I can get in order to help boost a phone signal?
1. If you can get internet service into the building, add a wifi router and turn on your phone's wifi calling feature.
2. Ask you cellular provider about a microcell.
3. Install a signal booster. Here's one example for $400.
- (I know nothing about this particular brand. The link is for understanding only.)
- How To Boost A Cellular Signal In A Metal Building - AlternativeWireless.com

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
1. If you can get internet service into the building, add a wifi router and turn on your phone's wifi calling feature.
2. Ask you cellular provider about a microcell.
3. Install a signal booster. Here's one example for $400.
- (I know nothing about this particular brand. The link is for understanding only.)
- How To Boost A Cellular Signal In A Metal Building - AlternativeWireless.com

Wifi calling works fine if you are calling out. Not so for receiving calls.

Dave

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
No cell phone signal in the barn = peace and quiet in the barn.
Most of the time :good2:

Otherwise this what I do if I’m waiting for a call
The only place I can get one bar of signal, is if I place the phone on a window sill.

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
There are "Active" boosters that require power and can repeat the signal inside the building. There are also cheap "Passive" antennas that can work when you have a good signal at the window like you do. It might be worth trying.

I'm not advocating this particular solution, I'm only providing it as an example.

DIY 2G/3G/4G Wireless Cell Phone Signal Booster: 5 Steps (with Pictures)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear y’all about the peace and quiet.......that is until.......The WIFE needs me, but too lazy to walk out there.

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts

Dave
Never heard that before...it seams to work both ways for me here-I have very limited service (ATT), especially in my basement shop. I got rid of the microcell when wifi called came out and I think service is better with it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Dave
That is not true in my case. When we are at home, both my phone & my wife's phone are connected to wifi only. Both receive & make calls fine.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the same size shed built the same way as yours. I have 3- 10×12 roll up doors and if I'm working inside I can usually get a signal if one of the doors is open about 3/4 of the way. Otherwise you're going to have to use Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I hear y’all about the peace and quiet.......that is until.......The WIFE needs me, but too lazy to walk out there.
Well that sounds like a lot more problem than cell service. May need to sound proof the buildings and keep it closed :lolol:
I was oing to suggest 2 way radio walkie talkies but that may not be a smart move :lol:

I agree with the others. Turn on WiFi callin if you have WiFi. You may need a WiFi extender to get WiFi out that way. Maybe to much work but you can run a hard line from your router to the shed and set up another router out there for WiFi. Heck add a tv out there after that :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
That is not true in my case. When we are at home, both my phone & my wife's phone are connected to wifi only. Both receive & make calls fine.
Never heard that before...it seams to work both ways for me here-I have very limited service (ATT), especially in my basement shop. I got rid of the microcell when wifi called came out and I think service is better with it.

Never worked for me. I had to give it up when I found out that people complained that they could not get hold of me. After 3 days, I wondered why I was not getting any calls. I soon found out. Calling out was fine. I was on Sprint back then. I have not tried it since I switched carriers.

Dave

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts
Never worked for me. I had to give it up when I found out that people complained that they could not get hold of me. After 3 days, I wondered why I was not getting any calls. I soon found out. Calling out was fine. I was on Sprint back then. I have not tried it since I switched carriers.

Dave

Ah Sprint...’nuff said.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Dave
We have always had Verizon. Sprint in the area has lots of dead spots.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
One of my rental farms is out in the boonies so cell signal is pretty crummy. It has an old late 1800's barn (the great big giant ones with the curved roof and the hay hooks and all that) I discovered that if I go up into the hay loft I actually get a decent signal. Why? no idea but i'll bet it has something to do with the massive metal roof acting as an antenna. :think:

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Ah Sprint...’nuff said.
YEa....

Had US Cellular for years before Verizon came in the area. Tried AT&T for 2 months or less. what a waste of money had signal maybe a 1/3 of the time.

Switched to Verizon , and same as US Cell been happy. About a year ago bought a Motorola Force Z and has the option of WI-FI calling . I like it at least I can use my phone in my house where before ,only if I held my phone in one location, pointed one direction, so high in the air, and I didn't take to deep of breath while talking and of course if one no walked in path of signal..:laugh:

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
One of my rental farms is out in the boonies so cell signal is pretty crummy. It has an old late 1800's barn (the great big giant ones with the curved roof and the hay hooks and all that) I discovered that if I go up into the hay loft I actually get a decent signal. Why? no idea but i'll bet it has something to do with the massive metal roof acting as an antenna. :think:
For me walk in side my metal building NO SIGNAL. Our church has metal roof , and vinyl siding ,, nope no signal in attic , main floor or basement unless beside a window. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts