Votes: 1 33.3%
  • You will regret not doing it latter

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new tractor completing fit out at the dealer and arriving next week I am looking at things to get done on it before 1st use.

Any pros or cons to applying a good ceramic paint protection system upfront? I would do all of the surfaces on the tractor, hood, roof, side panels, fenders, and loader. I will also plan on doing the mower deck.

Armour Shield IV is one of the highest rated (not highest cost) systems so I am thinking of using that.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
I’m not aware of any downsides, plus doing it new is probably the ideal time.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
I’m anxious to see how it does. Keep us posted

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ceramic treatments attract dust.
If your going to use your tractor for anything other than just cutting grass, its going to get scratched and dirty.
Just throw a coat of wax on it once or twice a year and wash it off when you can.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
What do you have to lose? Seventy bucks on a new tractor is a minor expense.

Reactions: JamesRich

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ceramic treatments attract dust.
If your going to use your tractor for anything other than just cutting grass, its going to get scratched and dirty.
Just throw a coat of wax on it once or twice a year and wash it off when you can.
Or just leave it out in the rain.

Everybody is different, but to me ceramic coating for my tractor (or even waxing it) would feel like polishing my shovels.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts

Everybody is different, but to me ceramic coating for my tractor (or even waxing it) would feel like polishing my shovels.
You’ve never dug with a polished shovel I take it...

Mud and snow stick to rusty ones.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
You guys are gonna laugh but I run my shovels through the bench grinder almost every time I use them.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts

We waxed a new combine. . . once.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
197 Posts
You guys are gonna laugh but I run my shovels through the bench grinder almost every time I use them.
Years ago I had a landscaper tell me to put a sharp edge on my shovels. Wow...what a difference that makes when digging a hole anywhere you have small roots.

·
Registered
26,814 Posts
Years ago I had a landscaper tell me to put a sharp edge on my shovels. Wow...what a difference that makes when digging a hole anywhere you have small roots.
I’ve been known to sharpen a shovel here and there - makes a huge difference like you say - also when cutting sod.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I will try on the bottom side of the mower deck also, and maybe the blades. Not sure how long it will hold up but maybe longer than the Deere granite spray.

Reactions: rtgt and DRobinson

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts
Hey it is your tractor and what you two do in the garage is between you two.

The neighbors might appreciate it if you keep the door closed.

Congratulations on finally getting the new toy. I know you have been waiting a while to get it.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
You’ve never dug with a polished shovel I take it...

Mud and snow stick to rusty ones.
Good point and thats why i always wash them off after use and oil them. Makes digging much easier

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
With the new tractor completing fit out at the dealer and arriving next week I am looking at things to get done on it before 1st use.

Any pros or cons to applying a good ceramic paint protection system upfront? I would do all of the surfaces on the tractor, hood, roof, side panels, fenders, and loader. I will also plan on doing the mower deck.

Armour Shield IV is one of the highest rated (not highest cost) systems so I am thinking of using that.

View attachment 736696
What happens if the coating gets scratched and I'm sure it will? Can you use JD toch up paint if its coated?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I keep my Sharp shooter and shovels sharpened. They sure dig a lot easier. Also keep your old hydraulic oil when you change fluids and dip your shovels into the old fluid (5 gallon bucket with a lid). Stand them up to drain on an old rag. That helps to keep the rust at bay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts