Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to find out what y’alls experiences have been. I’m hungry for more real world information on these coatings, not hype and advertisements.

Since I can’t take my new dually to the car wash, I’ve had to spend a few hours washing animal slobber and road dirt off my rig. (Went to an animal safari the other day, huge fun.) I detailed, vacuumed, polished the rims, the whole deal. But boy would I love to be able to just rinse it off. The silver paint is great at hiding dirt, but the advertising of just rinse it off has huge appeal to me.

So what have you used? Did you do it yourself? Pay a shop? How much was it? Would you recommend it? How do you like it? Anything to stay away from?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I don't have firsthand experience yet but it seems to be a very good product.
Before I bought the Vette a few weeks ago I was in at the rustproofer with my Superduty getting its second renewal.
I was considering a new Mustang and asked them about the price of their ceramic application job, near $1100...
I guess it can be done yourself but even a new vehicle will require very careful cleaning and polishing for the job to look its best.
It must be done in a clean and well lit environment.
Just about every on line video and review I have encountered has stated that it seems to last nearly as long as advertised.
While rinsing only yields a fairly better looking job it will not be as good as mechanically wiping it with a cleaning product IMHO.
Wish I could afford it.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking more members would have had some firsthand experience with ceramic coatings. So many out there that I figured some of our enthusiasts would’ve tried it.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
I thought that Coaltrain put an application on his F-150, but I could be wrong.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I had a professional detailer do paint correction and then apply CQuartz on my Challenger Hellcat roughly two years ago. Although my car doesn't spend a whole lot of time outside in the weather, I will say that washing it and keeping it clean is easier than without the protection. If I remember correctly, it was about $1200 for the paint correction and coating the entire car to include wheels. Would I do it again? Yes.

·
Registered
21,496 Posts
I thought that Coaltrain put an application on his F-150, but I could be wrong.:banghead:
What I and Frank used was just a spray on “hybrid” ceramic wax. Nothing like the actual treatment that Jason is talking about.

Meguiars

The Meguire’s stuff is really nothing more than a type of spray on wax. I was not really impressed myself.

Frank said he wasn’t either. He ended up applying it just like a wax the second time which he said worked well enough. But again - more like just a spray in wax.

I’ve gone back to using car wash with wax in it - then using a spray detailed the next day when it sits in the barn. Works well enough. I just can’t wax anymore as my shoulders/elbows/wrists won’t take it.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your feedback Stan.

I plan on using a coating myself, not paying a bunch of money to anyone else to do it.

I’m not looking for show quality paint, just great protection for a large investment I have sitting in my driveway. And who doesn’t like a clean vehicle?

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
:munch: Been thinking about looking into myself. But like dieselshadow states don’t know anyone who has had it done.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m going to do this I think. I’ll share my results and give updates.

First I have to pick one from the multitudes available.... so much hype. That’s what I was trying to avoid.

·
Premium Member
7,954 Posts
I’m going to do this I think. I’ll share my results and give updates.

First I have to pick one from the multitudes available.... so much hype. That’s what I was trying to avoid.
Maybe go to a car show or two. :dunno:

Those guys are obsessed with clean and shinny.

·
Registered
413 Posts
No first hand experience but I'm into cars and have a 2010 Challenger. I'm active on the Challenger forums and have read a lot about these coatings. Lets just say I'm a skeptic of stuff like this but I have generally read good things about them. I've heard if you don't apply it correctly it can end up kind of streaky. My opinion is any quality wax will do the job, it just won't last as long. A lot of the benefits of a wax isn't this magic coating on your vehicle but the fact it cleans the paint really well. A lot of body men don't believe all the wax hype. I will just say if you clean and wax your vehicle once or twice a year it will help a lot. I'm also a big believer in clay bars for cleaning the vehicle well.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, need to get a clay bar, but dadgum, lots of hype there too it seems. Something simple made complicated due to all the advertisements and misdirection.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have tried waxing without using a clay bar first. Its worth the time, the wax will go on and come off a lot easier. I've tried a synthetic clay bar, it was a Mothers brand, and it was just O.K. If your vehicle was really clean, it would do better than if it needs a lot of cleaning. My technique is to first clean any bad tar spots of using mineral spirits, then clay bar, then wax. The clay bar will remove road tar also but takes a little more work. I also use a dual action buffer on mine, makes the wax go on easier, and has a slight polishing action also.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
What I and Frank used was just a spray on “hybrid” ceramic wax. Nothing like the actual treatment that Jason is talking about.

Meguiars

The Meguire’s stuff is really nothing more than a type of spray on wax. I was not really impressed myself.

Frank said he wasn’t either. He ended up applying it just like a wax the second time which he said worked well enough. But again - more like just a spray in wax.

I’ve gone back to using car wash with wax in it - then using a spray detailed the next day when it sits in the barn. Works well enough. I just can’t wax anymore as my shoulders/elbows/wrists won’t take it.
That's the procedure that I use also, Stan.

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Thanks for your feedback Stan.

I plan on using a coating myself, not paying a bunch of money to anyone else to do it.

I’m not looking for show quality paint, just great protection for a large investment I have sitting in my driveway. And who doesn’t like a clean vehicle?
Jason,

I initially used the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic treatment and applied it as Stan mentioned. It's a good sealant but you'll still have to wash the vehicle using some elbow grease to be happy with results.

https://www.pointsupplies.com/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-26oz-g190526?variant=14094705950829

I just switched over to Mothers CMX Ceramic Coating and it delivers slightly better water beading and a much better shine.

https://www.pointsupplies.com/products/mothers-cmx-ceramic-spray-coating-24oz-01024?variant=14094816444525&currency=USD&utm_campaign=gs-2019-02-16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjwpuXpBRAAEiwAyRRPgZ2nLcez127ebl0-Q1coloqAkfXx_-3c1kx2HFnXX5hZKV0NaO2sxxoCY9QQAvD_BwE

With each product I saturate a microfiber cloth and thoroughly wipe it onto the surface one panel at a time. Then I buff it using a separate microfiber cloth. Road dirt, bugs, grease and general road slop usually rinse right off but you can't beat a two-bucket wash and chamois dry! Some say it's good exercise as well! :laugh:

·
Registered
21,496 Posts
I feel a good regular treatment is just as good as any of these ceramic coatings myself.

Clay bar - good wash method - good wax application. I feel a good wax lasts around 3 months. Maybe these ceramic coatings will give you 6 months.

Since I can’t do any type of wax applications anymore - rub on/rub off - I’ve had to adopt something that would work for me. I was quite excited about the new Meguire’s hybrid ceramic wax because of the ease of application. The first application you washed your truck - then when still wet you sprayed the wax on then wiped it down with a microfiber cloth while still wet. Subsequent applications had you wash the truck, then just spray the wax on, then rinse again. Just seemed too easy...

The main thing I noticed is I didn’t get the real shine or the slipperiness/water beading with the hybrid wax. Maybe that doesn’t matter as far as protection but it made me feel better when using a good wax.

My truck gets dirty any time I drive in the rain around here. The roads are just dirty. My tailgate gets terribly dirty along with the bottom half of the sides. I was hoping for this hybrid wax to make that dirt rinse off easily but that wasn’t the case. I still needed to do a regular washing to get it clean.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
I've found that easy on/easy off vehicle polish and or wax doesn't last, regardless. That's why I prefer the detailer. I can do my whole truck in 30 minutes and it looks as good as a three hour wax job. I don't use it every time that I wash it and not at all when the weather is cold. The first time in the spring really makes me feel good though.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m leaning towards a coating that has a 6 year warranty. Not 6 months...

The coating is just that, it’s a treatment that chemically bonds with your clear coat. They are considered permanent. The reason they are so expensive to have installed is because they seal your paint exactly how it is. So you need to have you paint corrected prior to applying it. They will make repair to your paint that much more difficult. You even have to wear a respirator on the pro grade coatings. Some of those have a 10 year warranty or even longer.

Ceramic coatings aren’t quick and easy to apply. They aren’t cheap to have done. They take some time and care to apply correctly. That being said, they make your vehicle a lot more hydrophobic, shine a lot deeper, provide some scratch prevention, and make maintenance cleaning a lot faster and easier. Pretty much all owners of a good coating report they can go a lot longer between washes as well. These vehicles with the coatings generally look amazing. They feel super slick and water just rolls off. Dirt has an incredibly hard time sticking. Think of a fresh wax job that’s better and lasts, for real.

Don’t confuse a ceramic coating with wax or something you just spray or wipe on and walk away. They require a lot of effort up front.

Since my truck will sit outdoors, I think it’ll provide a lot more protection than a wax job you need to reapply every 3-6 months.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here’s just one of the reputable outfits I’ve researched so far. Read the descriptions and application processes of the products if you’re interested. It’ll kinda show you what I’m talking about. :good2:

https://usa.gtechniq.com/?v=full

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
I’m leaning towards a coating that has a 6 year warranty. Not 6 months...

The coating is just that, it’s a treatment that chemically bonds with your clear coat. They are considered permanent. The reason they are so expensive to have installed is because they seal your paint exactly how it is. So you need to have you paint corrected prior to applying it. They will make repair to your paint that much more difficult. You even have to wear a respirator on the pro grade coatings. Some of those have a 10 year warranty or even longer.

Ceramic coatings aren’t quick and easy to apply. They aren’t cheap to have done. They take some time and care to apply correctly. That being said, they make your vehicle a lot more hydrophobic, shine a lot deeper, provide some scratch prevention, and make maintenance cleaning a lot faster and easier. Pretty much all owners of a good coating report they can go a lot longer between washes as well. These vehicles with the coatings generally look amazing. They feel super slick and water just rolls off. Dirt has an incredibly hard time sticking. Think of a fresh wax job that’s better and lasts, for real.

Don’t confuse a ceramic coating with wax or something you just spray or wipe on and walk away. They require a lot of effort up front.

Since my truck will sit outdoors, I think it’ll provide a lot more protection than a wax job you need to reapply every 3-6 months.
What's the process if some hammerhead backs into you and dents a fender that requires body shop and paint repair?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts