·
Administrator
20,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Administrator
20,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What's the process if some hammerhead backs into you and dents a fender that requires body shop and paint repair?
Take it to a body shop. Let them do the body and paint work. Reapply coating if you desire. Duh. Did Keith send you to ask silly questions? :laugh:

Coatings can be removed mechanically. Obviously not something you want to do regularly. Regular body work shouldn’t have any effect. Paint repairs only, after a application of a coating may cause complications, I don’t know.....

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Take it to a body shop. Let them do the body and paint work. Reapply coating if you desire. Duh. Did Keith send you to ask silly questions? :laugh:

Coatings can be removed mechanically. Obviously not something you want to do regularly. Regular body work shouldn’t have any effect. Paint repairs only, after a application of a coating may cause complications, I don’t know.....
No, I can be a hammerhead without help. I thought it was a good question.

We'll see what Keith says? Gizmo, what do you think? Don't hang me out to dry now.:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This isn’t in off-topic. He won’t see it for weeks.....

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
No, I can be a hammerhead without help. I thought it was a good question.

We'll see what Keith says? Gizmo, what do you think? Don't hang me out to dry now.:laugh:
It was a very good question. I was an auto body shop distributor of paint and supplies for 40 years. These coatings will cause problems in the paint shop if not thoroughly removed before refinishing. And they don't come off easily :banghead:

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I had no idea what a true ceramic coating was Jason.
Neither did I.

Now I understand better.
As in, It is something I can't afford, or better yet - to late to matter.

My truck is 10 years old.

It has baked in the Nevada heat.

It has frozen in the Montana cold.

It has survived my wife driving it.

It has hauled, pulled, and played.

It has battle scars.

It still has paint on it.

It also has dog slobber on the back windows.

It has scars on the turn signal when Bodie chewed on it.

It has a big scratch on the radio display where Kimber's paw caught it.

It has Tana's hair in places you'll never get out.

It still does everything I need it to do.

It has been washed occasionally.

Clay bar?

Doesn't sound like a place a heterosexual male would go to get a drink.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had my truck done about a year ago with an IGL product. http://iglcoatings.com
Had it done by a detailing shop that specializes in this, and the Kenzo coating is the one they put on the truck for me.
They had the truck for a few days to clean it thoroughly, touch up any stone chips, completely buff the paint, apply the coating and let it cure. They said the paint prep was the most important part of the process for optimum results.
It turned out amazing! The paint almost looked wet it was so smooth. Cleaning is a breeze now as well, and it comes right back to that super shiny finish.

·
Administrator
20,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Neither did I.

As in, It is something I can't afford, or better yet - to late to matter.

My truck is 10 years old.

It has baked in the Nevada heat.

It has frozen in the Montana cold.

It has survived my wife driving it.

It has hauled, pulled, and played.

It has battle scars.

It still has paint on it.

It also has dog slobber on the back windows.

It has scars on the turn signal when Bodie chewed on it.

It has a big scratch on the radio display where Kimber's paw caught it.

It has Tana's hair in places you'll never get out.

It still does everything I need it to do.

It has been washed occasionally.

Clay bar?

Doesn't sound like a place a heterosexual male would go to get a drink.
Go play in the sandwich or key thread, would ya? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Go play in the sandwich or key thread, would ya? :laugh:
Maybe I'll start a "I'm not getting a new truck" thread for those of us that did it right the first time or cannot afford a second mortgage for a new vehicle.......:lol:

·
Administrator
20,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Maybe I'll start a "I'm not getting a new truck" thread for those of us that did it right the first time or cannot afford a second mortgage for a new vehicle.......:lol:
I can’t afford another one either....hence taking care of this one. :lol:

And thanks for your contribution to this thread. Very helpful and informative. :drinks: :laugh:

I look forward to seeing your “beat up farm truck” thread. :thumbup1gif: I’m actually surprised we don’t have one already.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Adding just some personal experience to the thread. I have done all of my toys with Ceramic coating, I use Armor IX from Avalonking. <<< this URL shows how ceramic coatings work.

As previously stated everything comes down to paint prep. Its not scary, its not even particularly hard provided that you A. Have realistic expectations of the outcome and B. Do it for the right reasons. For me A meant having my vehicles preserved in time, looking as good as they possibly can, and I did it because I wanted better paint protection, and an investement so I could have some weekend time back for doing more important stuff than washing the vehicles.

Prep work; Be realistic, the result will be better than any normal wash and wax if you simply put in the prep work. I started out by purchasing a Griots Garage Dual Action Polisher, then I purchased two sets of 6" polishing pads from Chemical Guys (Orange, white, blue, black -- the colors relate to how stiff they are). Two sets because you end up with a lot of compound in them and its faster to change them entirely (orange for a new orange for instance) than it is to stop and clean them. I also purchased all the stages of mothers polishing (compound, polish, final glaze). And of course a few clay bars.

Example; Here is the tank on my bike which had some heavy scratches from my keys.

Paint Correction.jpg

This was the most work I did on that bike. The rest of the bike was wash, clay bar to remove the big stuff, compound, polish, final polish (glaze), wash again with Dawn. None of this is hard, risky, or frustrating. Grab some shade, a cold one (or two), and throw on some music, its actually quite enjoyable.

Once that was done apply the ceramic coating which believe me, is the easiest part of the whole thing, it takes no time at all.

Pragmatic experience. My main bike sees about 8-10k miles of riding during the summer months. During this time I go through bug season, rain, back roads, highways, etc.. The only road I won't go on is deep gravel. I have only washed the bike once so far this summer and that was primarily to clean the unprotected parts (no ceramic coating). Everything else just wipes off, literally. Bugs, road grime, dirt, mud, etc.. all of it just wipes off with little effort. The shine is till here, it looks fantastic, and I accomplished both A and B. The bike looks as good as it can (better than it has in many years) and I spend no time on it.

Next up. Every fall I spend time to do the glass on all of the cars and the tractor cab with Aquapel. It makes a massive difference (way better than rainx) and this year I will be applying a ceramic coating to the cars. Its worth spending a couple hundred bucks a car to get lower maintenance for the next 4-5 years. Would I take it to a detailer... nope, not at 1000-1400 per vehicle. I find doing it yourself to be the perfect split in investment and outcome. I am not looking for perfection, I am looking for my first two points above (A/B).

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can’t afford another one either....hence taking care of this one. :lol:

And thanks for your contribution to this thread. Very helpful and informative. :drinks: :laugh:

I look forward to seeing your “beat up farm truck” thread. :thumbup1gif: I’m actually surprised we don’t have one already.....
Id agree, if your going to get a 60-70 truck, I would ceramic coat that thing 5 times ha. These trucks are a major investment and tool, you don't want it looking like a POS in a few years. When I purchased mine, I clayed it and put a synthetic wax on it. I plan on putting ceramic on it next year.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I had my truck ceramic coated a couple days after I brought it home. I had my local detail shop install Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light ceramic coating. The brand is only sold to dealers and shops that have been approved, no joe blow. The ceramic coating is hard, only way to remove it is to wet send it off. Other brands claim to be ceramic coating but wear off after a year or require reapplication in 6-12mi. My dealer applies as many coats as you want. Obviously there is an appropriate number. On average you get a 3-5 year coating.

https://www.gothamauto.com/ceramic-coating-packages

Reactions: Georgia_Johndeere

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wanted to find out what y’alls experiences have been. I’m hungry for more real world information on these coatings, not hype and advertisements.

Since I can’t take my new dually to the car wash, I’ve had to spend a few hours washing animal slobber and road dirt off my rig. (Went to an animal safari the other day, huge fun.) I detailed, vacuumed, polished the rims, the whole deal. But boy would I love to be able to just rinse it off. The silver paint is great at hiding dirt, but the advertising of just rinse it off has huge appeal to me.

So what have you used? Did you do it yourself? Pay a shop? How much was it? Would you recommend it? How do you like it? Anything to stay away from?
I wanted to find out what y’alls experiences have been. I’m hungry for more real world information on these coatings, not hype and advertisements.

Since I can’t take my new dually to the car wash, I’ve had to spend a few hours washing animal slobber and road dirt off my rig. (Went to an animal safari the other day, huge fun.) I detailed, vacuumed, polished the rims, the whole deal. But boy would I love to be able to just rinse it off. The silver paint is great at hiding dirt, but the advertising of just rinse it off has huge appeal to me.

So what have you used? Did you do it yourself? Pay a shop? How much was it? Would you recommend it? How do you like it? Anything to stay away from?
I have both used and installed many kinds of ceramic coatings for the past few years, sorry, I just saw this post today. I would always do it myself, as it's pretty easy, the prep work to your paint is the hard part. You have to get the paint looking as good as possible before you apply the ceramic coating. I use Alwaysdry products from Alwaysdry.com. You get what you pay for! They also have a product called "Light" that is a fine ceramic mist you wipe on and off like a spray wax, very easy and lasts a long time, best $25 you will spend and has all the properties of ceramics without applying the $100+ worth of 9H ceramic coating.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts