Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual prefers 50 cetane, but 45 may be used. But all my local diesel stations show 40. Should I be concerned or maybe add a cetane booster? What are the possible damages, in winter I do run wide open operating snow blower 1hr+ several times.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
When I bought my first diesel pickup I enquired at a nice local station and they claimed 50 cetane but that was years ago and the sheet they read from was from a summer shipment and I had heard that winter mix with #1 lowers cetane a bit.
I always use Ford's cetane booster with lubricant in my truck and when I did start using it I felt it helped part throttle power a little but mostly use it for the lubricating properties to help prolong the life of the dreaded CP4 high pressure pump.
I did run it in my little Deere for a while but noticed no perceptible change in performance at all.
If I knew for a fact the fuel was weak or began perceiving that performance was lacking I would sure give it a try. It's not like it will add much to your fuel costs but I would stay with a premium product such as Stanadyne to guarantee that you are getting a valid test.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm no diesel fuel Guru by any stretch, but judging by your location, you should probably be adding something to the fuel, especially in the winter months but all year round won't hurt anything either. Lots of brands offer an 'all in 1' bottle, with Cetane booster, lubricator, and anti-gel. Power Service definitely offers this mix, in a bottle big enough to treat 100 gallons (32oz), that only costs $7-$8.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm no diesel fuel Guru by any stretch, but judging by your location, you should probably be adding something to the fuel, especially in the winter months but all year round won't hurt anything either. Lots of brands offer an 'all in 1' bottle, with Cetane booster, lubricator, and anti-gel. Power Service definitely offers this mix, in a bottle big enough to treat 100 gallons (32oz), that only costs $7-$8.
There are some post on this site about fuel additives concerning which ones are better than others and Power Service was not at the top of the list for product quality. Anyone interested in additives may want to do a search on this site and see what has been posted regarding this.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
My owners manual prefers 50 cetane, but 45 may be used. But all my local diesel stations show 40. Should I be concerned or maybe add a cetane booster? What are the possible damages, in winter I do run wide open operating snow blower 1hr+ several times.
You should use a quality diesel additive year around, not just in the winter, a good additive will have ample cetane boost.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
You should use a quality diesel additive year around, not just in the winter, a good additive will have ample cetane boost.
Any suggestions on brand, Pat? Just to save me hours of searching. :good2:

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

·
Registered
12,508 Posts

We use Cen Pe Co diesel additive, about twice the cost of most but never any problems. We also treat with Stanadyne lubricity in addition to the regular additive.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
While I’ll highly recommend you do some research, I’ll give you two of my favorites. Stanadyne and OptiLube.

Asking questions like this is like any truck, tire, oil, mac vs pc, blah blah blah.

Stay away from anything that has alcohol in it. And there are some major brands that are favorited by many people out there that has it. Alcohol has ZERO business in a diesel fuel system.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
Very true Jason, people should always research rather than buy just because someone says it works for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Very true Jason, people should always research rather than buy just because someone says it works for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but.... You guys are my heroes and I want to do what you do! :good2:

In all seriousness though, you both have a lot of expertise in this area, so I do trust what you have to say.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
My two cents for anyone considering diesel fuel supplements for their equipment.
All diesel fuel engines have provisions for water separation after the fuel tank and prior to entering the injector pump.
Select only diesel fuel supplements that contain DE-EMULSIFIERS, not emulsifiers.
This separates the water and allows the water separation systems to capture the water that generally needs to me manually drained by the operator.
This is hyper important if the treatment is used on common rail, super high pressure injection systems found on most modern ''on road" diesel powered cars and trucks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
There are some post on this site about fuel additives concerning which ones are better than others and Power Service was not at the top of the list for product quality. Anyone interested in additives may want to do a search on this site and see what has been posted regarding this.
I'm not saying one is better than the other, just gave an example. :bigthumb:
But as always, "Best" and "top of the list", are going to be subjective, just like someones favorite brand of oil (Mobil 1 vs. Rotella T for instance). The Amsoil guys usually get the most aggressive tho :mocking:.
There will always be tests favoring one or the other, in some form or fashion.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

I just use John Deere's winter additive year round. It's ridiculously cheap when you compare it to the other products on the market. Have 0 clue how it really compares, but I've been using it in low teens weather for the last month with no issues at all.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
Yeah, but.... You guys are my heroes and I want to do what you do! :good2:

In all seriousness though, you both have a lot of expertise in this area, so I do trust what you have to say.

Definitely not an expert Mark, I learn more and more about this stuff everyday, but I'll say this, do your own research, buy it and stick to it.
Secondly, and IMO the most important part of the equation, find a good and reputable fuel supplier/source and stick to that as well. The best additives in the world don't amount to squat when put in $*&t diesel fuel.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Been using Amsoil all in one Diesel treatment for years with good results. I use all year around in truck and tractors. As other said research and stick with name brand. My 2 pennies

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I'm going to give a vote for Power service mainly cause it works for me and that's what's available in town here, Moose Lake,Mn.
Last Saturday it was -26 when I got up, I plugged the tractor in for a hour. It started and I let it warm up in the shed. I had 10" of snow to blow, so away I went, but not very far before she started starving. I put it back in the shed with a torpedo heater and some Power Service 911 in the tank which I then topped with fresh treated fuel. Probably a hour later I started blowing snow for about 3 hours, while still -20 or so. It works in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
I'm going to give a vote for Power service mainly cause it works for me and that's what's available in town here, Moose Lake,Mn.
Last Saturday it was -26 when I got up, I plugged the tractor in for a hour. It started and I let it warm up in the shed. I had 10" of snow to blow, so away I went, but not very far before she started starving. I put it back in the shed with a torpedo heater and some Power Service 911 in the tank which I then topped with fresh treated fuel. Probably a hour later I started blowing snow for about 3 hours, while still -20 or so. It works in my opinion.
I give Power Service credit as they are available in retail outlets more often than any other brand, by far. Does it work? Well, dumping highly concentrated alcohol will cause the water to absorb in the alcohol and the engine burns it. But man is alcohol hard on engine parts, especially fuel system components and cylinder and piston ring wear.

I raced alcohol dragsters for years. I used to buy alcohol racing fuel by 55 gallon drums. Alcohol is HIGHLY CORROSIVE, it burns, but it also destroys fuel injection pumps, seals, injectors, etc. Alcohol actually leaves what looks like crystallized sugar behind as it passes through the fuel system. I always had to treat the alcohol racing fuel with top agents for lubrication and also color it so you can see it as well as a scent agent as it's very caustic smelling and tough on your throat and lungs. Its why I always wore a respirator when warming the car in the pits. etc.

You have to store alcohol sealed as it will attract and retain moisture like you can't imagine. A water jet cuts steel really well because water is so abrasive when under high pressure. Alcohol is more abrasive than water.....without the top agents.

Emergency 911 resolves fuel gelling by using massive amounts of alcohol. Interestingly, the Emergency 911 product doesn't prevent any gelling on it's own and says so on the bottle. If you use that product, it's imperative to add a good lubricant agent to the fuel simultaneously.

Using a good product year around and you will never need Emergency 911. If I were you, I would add a good cetane increaser and lubrication agents and also a product which prevents gelling and the wax separation which plugs the filters.

The very best plan is two very good products used together. I use these in combination by manufacturer. The Lucas Products together and the Howe's Products together. In 25 years never had an issue and that includes -28 air temps and bone chilling cold at -55.

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/cetane-power-booster

Anti-Gel Cold Weather Diesel Treatment

Howes Lubricator

Howes Lubricator

The best diesel fuel management program is to use both of these together, by brand. When its below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, I use double of both additives. Dispersing water is entirely different than burning it through the fuel.......Emergency 911 burns the water by having the alcohol absorb it. Amazing how Emegency 911 says right on the label how it doesn't prevent any fuel gelling or wax separation issues. Yes, it will most likely get the diesel engine running, but I would avoid using it unless I had no choice and simply heating the tractor with the salamander heater and adding the proper fuel treatment would also have produced the same results.

From the Power Service Website.
""Diesel 911 is a winter emergency use product. This Winter Rescue Formula reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters to restore the flow of diesel fuel to an engine. Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling – use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time.

• Reliquefies gelled fuel
  • De-ices frozen fuel-filters
  • Removes water
  • Prevents fuel-filter icing
  • Contains Slickdiesel Lubricator to protect fuel pumps and injectors from increased wear caused by poor quality Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel
  • Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel blends
  • Safe for use in all diesel engines
  • Will not void engine manufacturer's warranty when used as directed

·
Registered
228 Posts
I give Power Service credit as they are available in retail outlets more often than any other brand, by far. Does it work? Well, dumping highly concentrated alcohol will cause the water to absorb in the alcohol and the engine burns it. But man is alcohol hard on engine parts, especially fuel system components and cylinder and piston ring wear.

I raced alcohol dragsters for years. I used to buy alcohol racing fuel by 55 gallon drums. Alcohol is HIGHLY CORROSIVE, it burns, but it also destroys fuel injection pumps, seals, injectors, etc. Alcohol actually leaves what looks like crystallized sugar behind as it passes through the fuel system. I always had to treat the alcohol racing fuel with top agents for lubrication and also color it so you can see it as well as a scent agent as it's very caustic smelling and tough on your throat and lungs. Its why I always wore a respirator when warming the car in the pits. etc.

You have to store alcohol sealed as it will attract and retain moisture like you can't imagine. A water jet cuts steel really well because water is so abrasive when under high pressure. Alcohol is more abrasive than water.....without the top agents.

Emergency 911 resolves fuel gelling by using massive amounts of alcohol. Interestingly, the Emergency 911 product doesn't prevent any gelling on it's own and says so on the bottle. If you use that product, it's imperative to add a good lubricant agent to the fuel simultaneously.

Using a good product year around and you will never need Emergency 911. If I were you, I would add a good cetane increaser and lubrication agents and also a product which prevents gelling and the wax separation which plugs the filters.

The very best plan is two very good products used together. I use these in combination by manufacturer. The Lucas Products together and the Howe's Products together. In 25 years never had an issue and that includes -28 air temps and bone chilling cold at -55.

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/cetane-power-booster

Anti-Gel Cold Weather Diesel Treatment

Howes Lubricator

Howes Lubricator

The best diesel fuel management program is to use both of these together, by brand. When its below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, I use double of both additives. Dispersing water is entirely different than burning it through the fuel.......Emergency 911 burns the water by having the alcohol absorb it. Amazing how Emegency 911 says right on the label how it doesn't prevent any fuel gelling or wax separation issues. Yes, it will most likely get the diesel engine running, but I would avoid using it unless I had no choice and simply heating the tractor with the salamander heater and adding the proper fuel treatment would also have produced the same results.

From the Power Service Website.
""Diesel 911 is a winter emergency use product. This Winter Rescue Formula reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters to restore the flow of diesel fuel to an engine. Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling – use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time.

• Reliquefies gelled fuel
  • De-ices frozen fuel-filters
  • Removes water
  • Prevents fuel-filter icing
  • Contains Slickdiesel Lubricator to protect fuel pumps and injectors from increased wear caused by poor quality Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel
  • Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel blends
  • Safe for use in all diesel engines
  • Will not void engine manufacturer's warranty when used as directed
That's what I was referring to when I made my comment about Power Source Products. You just done a more complete job saying it, especially about additives with alcohol in it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts