Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - dropped the chain for the drivechain on one side of my JD 40 tiller. Able to fix the cover etc., but need to get a replacement chain. Circa 1980 I'm guessing - inherited from my late father in law. Tiller works perfectly well otherwise and would like to avoid having to purchase a new tiller. Having trouble locating a replacement chain. Any suggestions? Also, is this by chance #40 size chain that I could cut from a bulk length. Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
The parts catalog says its made up of 57 links of a type 60 roller chain and any farm supply should carry it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The parts catalog says its made up of 57 links of a type 60 roller chain and any farm supply should carry it.

Many thanks for this! Could I ask where you went to look this up? I'm having a heck of a time finding info for things like this. I'm pretty handy, but am spending an inordinate amount of time just looking up info. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thought is if chain isn't worn too much just acquire a chain repair tool & coupler link(see photos below) & get a connecting link then reassemble old chain. I've repaired many roller chains in the last 50 yrs.
Did exactly that through Amazon prime yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the other chain, but it appears as though the replacement is a fairly straight-forward exercise.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Many thanks for this! Could I ask where you went to look this up? I'm having a heck of a time finding info for things like this. I'm pretty handy, but am spending an inordinate amount of time just looking up info. Thanks again.
Sure:
1. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/
2. in the search bar enter "40 tiller" (quotes not necessary)
3. from the selections that come up, click on "CHAIN CASE (40) [A09] - 9"
4. from the illustration, click on the number 23.
5. the description will pop up in the window on the right side, the description is there.

** I do this in the PC browser, it very well may be different on a mobile device.

Now that I went back through the steps, I clicked on the model 448, that has the description, but you get the idea. I see the model 40 chain description is blank, so you may want to investigate further.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts