Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably most of you know about this contest. They have a 2' by 2' "box" made out of 1" square tubing in this case anchored to the ground and the driver must pull the chain until it is all inside that box by pulling forward and backing up. It is a timed event and the fastest time with all the chain in the box wins. In this case, the chain was 20' long and each contestant started 25' feet away from the box with the chain stretched out straight behind the tractor. The chain is "attached" to the drawbar with a pull pin that has a piece of twine or small rope tied to it and in reach of the driver. When he has the chain inside the box, he pulls the twine which releases the chain and if he's in the right place over the box, hopefully it falls down inside the "box". If the entire chain doesn't end up in the box, the driver is disqualified.

There were 5 contestants; one drove a 430 JD with a wide front end, one a 3000 Ford, one drove a Super C with a tricycle front end and 2 brothers and their mom drove an A farmall. The winner was the driver of the 3000 Ford who completed the task in 31 seconds. Second place was 1 minute 24 seconds. It was really fun to watch.

In jest the Ford driver said that was the second time he had ever been on a tractor.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,806 Posts
I've never seen that before! Very cool!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I've never heard of this. I want to see one of these!! Then, I might want to try my luck at doing! Would be fun!!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,449 Posts
New to me also. Never seen it.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
That's new to me too, and something I may be able to practice in my own back yard.:laugh: Do they only go back and forth over the box? or can they try some other path?

Just curious, in the back and forth method, how does one maneuver the chain with a tricycle front end? Wouldn't the front tires catch the chain often when backing up?

·
8,558 Posts
Too bad all of us are so widely separated with distance. This would be an awesome competition for us to have as a group! :good2:

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,449 Posts
Too bad all of us are so widely separated with distance. This would be an awesome competition for us to have as a group! :good2:
How long would the chain need to be?:lol:
You did say your were a blonde, right? :wink:

·
8,558 Posts
Yep! Blonde to the roots!!

You know what they call a blonde, who dyes her hair brunette?

Artificial Intelligence! :mocking:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's new to me too, and something I may be able to practice in my own back yard.:laugh: Do they only go back and forth over the box? or can they try some other path?

Just curious, in the back and forth method, how does one maneuver the chain with a tricycle front end? Wouldn't the front tires catch the chain often when backing up?
Yes, they only go back and forth over the box, pulling or backing up each time just far enough to get the end of the chain in the box. Of course if done correctly, the chain gets "shorter" each time.

Yes, you're right. The tricycle front ends are at a big disadvantage in this contest.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Probably most of you know about this contest. They have a 2' by 2' "box" made out of 1" square tubing in this case anchored to the ground and the driver must pull the chain until it is all inside that box by pulling forward and backing up. It is a timed event and the fastest time with all the chain in the box wins. In this case, the chain was 20' long and each contestant started 25' feet away from the box with the chain stretched out straight behind the tractor. The chain is "attached" to the drawbar with a pull pin that has a piece of twine or small rope tied to it and in reach of the driver. When he has the chain inside the box, he pulls the twine which releases the chain and if he's in the right place over the box, hopefully it falls down inside the "box". If the entire chain doesn't end up in the box, the driver is disqualified.
Apparently this is a local event and not well know nationwide from all of the emails I've gotten requesting more info. I should have made a video of it but that being hindsight and impossible to do now, here's a little better description using pictures of my tractor. They had the washer welded to the pull pin while mine is not but that's the only difference in the setup. When the driver has the chain inside the box, he stops with the drawbar / pull pin approximately over the center of the box so when he pulls the rope attached to the pull pin, the chain will fall straight down and be inside the box. When the end of the chain hits the ground the timer stops the clock and announces the time. In my original pictures You can see a red line on the ground through the center of the "box". That line is 25' away from the starting line which is another red line across the ground.

Everyone starts from the same spot and uses the same pull pin and chain. Someone wondered what size chain was used. Since they have other tractors beside JD competing, they have to use a rather small chain so the Farmalls won't just sit and spin at the starting line. :lol: I think it was a 5/16 " chain.
If you need anymore info let me know. I hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: farmgirl19

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
makes me want to go out the backyard and try it:laugh:

are hydro's allowed?

·
8,558 Posts
I still think this would be loads of fun as a friendly competition among the GTT family, if there were a central location that we could meet! I'm going to set up something like this to do after mowing season is finished, when I remove the mower from the 3pt. I wish they did things like this around here! I'd practice it, until I could kick behinds!!!

Thanks, UW. Now I have something else I can do with my tractor!! :good2:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Great idea, Wayne. This could be an inspiration for our meeting next weekend...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts