Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm in the market for a nice saw. I'm looking to purchase a good size piece of land to build a house onion the next year or two, so the saw will see daily use at that time. Then will be a weekend warrior for fire wood and clean up along with atv and deer trails. I'd prefer to stay stihl as the dealer I deal with services them along with about every other dealer around here. I've been eyeing the ms 261 cm and ms391. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got a Stihl 250 with an 18" bar and after using it for a few years I realized I should have gotten a small saw for limbing and a bigger one for trunks so I don't get tired out using the bigger guy on the small stuff.

This spring I also got a 180. Cheap but sooooo much lighter for the little stiff. Now to just get the bigger saw......

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
If I only wanted 1 or 2 chainsaws, I stick with Stihl. I own 5 Stihls plus a Stihl pole saw (I happen to like chainsaws). My most used saw is a 50 cc Dolmar, equivalent to a MS 261. Dolmar is German made and I just wanted to try another brand. I've never tried Husquvarna, but I hear they are good saws too.

If you can swing the price, get a professional saw, more power per pound and should last a non-professional user a lifetime. But at least stick with one of the major 2 brands (Stihl or Husky), use premium fuel (non-ethanol if available) and a good 2-cycle oil (preferably synthetic).

But above all, be safe, use PPE.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've never tried Husquvarna, but I hear they are good saws too. .
Not any more. They cylinder head in my Rancher 455 blew out in just about 5 hours of use, the dealership was nice enough to take it all apart, cylinder head and all, and throw it all back in my case, in individual pieces, and was courteous enough to tell me that the burned up piston was not under warranty (less than 3 months old, and under 5 hours). All because I could not prove that I used Husqvarna 2 stroke oil in my gas.

No kidding. $400 down the drain in less than two weeks, and I did use the Husqvarna 2 stroke oil.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Not any more. They cylinder head in my Rancher 455 blew out in just about 5 hours of use, the dealership was nice enough to take it all apart, cylinder head and all, and throw it all back in my case, in individual pieces, and was courteous enough to tell me that the burned up piston was not under warranty (less than 3 months old, and under 5 hours). All because I could not prove that I used Husqvarna 2 stroke oil in my gas.

No kidding. $400 down the drain in less than two weeks, and I did use the Husqvarna 2 stroke oil.
I believe husqvarna owns Poulon Pro as well. I've had a leaf blower and chain saw from Poulon Pro go bad in less than a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
As others have said, Stihl is a great saw. Husky isn't bad either, but I prefer Stihl.

The MS261 is a pro-grade saw. I would opt for it before a 391, which is a step below. Depending on your budget and what you want to cut, an MS362 might be a good choice. It's a pro grade saw, but with a bit more power.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts

I didn't want to badmouth a brand I don't have any experience with, but I occasionally visit the arboristsite web site. Like green/orange/red/blue tractors everyone has their favorites, good and bad experiences. A lot of Husqvarna fans and a lot of Stihl fans there.

Sorry about your chainsaw, but that may be a dealer thing too. I burned the piston on my Dolmar on the first tank, the saw came too lean from the factory ... Germany with non-ethanol gasoline. The US ethanol mix just put it over the edge. My dealer changed the piston and cylinder and retuned the carb, no arguments, and the saw has been great ever since. Sometimes saws are just tuned a little off from the factory.

I happen to like Stihl saws.

More 2 cents.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guys I will say this. I own a ms362 with a 20" bar and it is an animal. Now, my father has had a husky since 72' when he bought his house. Still the same house and is heated 100% with wood (in MN). Just last year he saw me put a spark plug in my stihl for maintenance and thought..... 'you suppose I should change my plug, it is the original!'

He usually very good about maintenance so I was shocked. He burns about 12 pickup loads (8' box) of oak every season. The saw is bulletproof.

Stihl is good.
Husky is good.
You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Been very happy with my Husqvarna 460 Rancher. Love the hate on here for specific names!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love the hate on here?

You know, this is one of the best forums I've ever had the pleasure to be apart of. It is made up of some great individuals with the best leadership team around. But... I can almost guaranty everyone here has had a problem with a product at some point in their life. Probably something that I may own. For example: I know there are people that don't like Fords. .. I do. But I don't lash out at the whole forum because of it. Life is too short. Don't take things personally compadre. It's just stuff. Things don't make a person who they are.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My small engine shop told me of Stihl motors seizing up when new a couple years ago. But any brand gets bad reviews at some time. I use 30 year old (green) Poulans and they do fine. But the new ones (Poulan Pro) which I ran were junk. Never ran a Husqavarna saw, but their zero turn mower was a poorly designed death trap IMO. If I was buying new today I would buy either Stihl or consider Echo. Not familar with Echo saws, but their weedeaters will hang with Stihl all day long.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Stihl is a good saw, no matter which one you get. Whatever you do, never, EVER buy a Husqvarna!:soapbox:
My first experience ever with Husqvarna was last year when I needed to cut to the ground a 36" stump. I asked my neighbor to give me a hand. He brought over his new and a gently used Husky and both with 24 or 28" bars. First saw was the "Gently" used which took forever to start.... then the saw just died and would not restart. Next was the new saw.... it started ok and as soon as he got the chain to the trunk it jumped the bar and wrapped around the drive sprocket ending his day in the woods. Soooo, I just picked up my Stihl MS362 with an 18" bar an took care of the stump myself flawlessly.

Then there is my neighbor down the road with Husky's largest lawn tractor.... Don't get me started.

Reactions: Green Man and Levi

·
Registered
967 Posts
Love the hate on here?

You know, this is one of the best forums I've ever had the pleasure to be apart of. It is made up of some great individuals with the best leadership team around. But... I can almost guaranty everyone here has had a problem with a product at some point in their life. Probably something that I may own. For example: I know there are people that don't like Fords. .. I do. But I don't lash out at the whole forum because of it. Life is too short. Don't take things personally compadre. It's just stuff. Things don't make a person who they are.
Dang! I couldn't have said it better and I couldn't agree with you more. :good2:

Reactions: rgd and Levi

·
Super Moderator
8,140 Posts
Most of my portable yard maintenance tools are Stihl except for my chain saws. I have a ~ 30 year old Poulan 4000 w. 20" bar which is a heavy, screaming beast and a ~15 year old Husqvarna 345 w. 16" bar. Both have been well maintained and run well. Due to the weight of the Poulan 4000 I use the Husky for most work unless I'm cutting something fairly large. Although I understand that Stihl has a better reputation with chainsaws I can't say a bad word about my experience either my old Poulan 4000 or Husky 345.

Frank

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got a Poulan Countervibe 4000, I always say it sounds like a small dirt bike when it's sitting on the ground warming up at idle. It is heavy. I got a 2800 and a 3300 and the 3300 will do about any job the 4000 will do, but so much lighter. I call the 4000 "Big Bertha"

I have access to a lot of 40" diameter Red Oak for free, but not sure I want to pay that much. Too big! I cut one round, dang that was tough on me and my saw. I may hire a tree crew because they have a Stihl with a 5' bar. Let the younger guys handle that stuff. The guy hauled in green, Red Oak, 5' - 6' rounds of 40" dia on a new Dodge 3500 roll back, it was so overloaded that when he backed up and hit the brakes the front tires lifted off the ground. Nice way to destroy a truck!

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
My yard tools are Stihl, just like Superglidesport, but I have an old Jonsereds saw (a heavyweight model 051 or 052) that I have had since the early '80s. It doesn't get use too much because I don't need it very often, but when I need to use it, it starts and runs almost like a new one. Even though I don't use it often, I still maintain it...run it once in a while, just to keep it in the ready.

That being said, if it were to quit me today, I would probably just go buy a new Stihl. What model, I am not sure, but it would probably be something like a 180.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I got a stihl weed-eater FS85 and stihl chainsaw MS310 with a 20" bar. Use only reg. non-ethanol gas and stihl oil-mix. Only problem I've ever had was with the weed-eater when I decided to do what everyone says, "make sure to empty the fuel tank for winter storage". Never, never will I do that again. All the gas lines rotted and had to be replaced. Yep, I'll get slack for this but for years (like always) I never had this happen so I'm going with what works for me. On all my stuff I've never before emptied the tanks for winter storage with no problems and will never do it again. :nunu: :) By the way, I love my stihl's!

·
Super Moderator
8,140 Posts
I got a Poulan Countervibe 4000, I always say it sounds like a small dirt bike when it's sitting on the ground warming up at idle. It is heavy. I got a 2800 and a 3300 and the 3300 will do about any job the 4000 will do, but so much lighter. I call the 4000 "Big Bertha"
You're right about the sound and idle quality of the 4000. It does sound like a dirt bike engine. Mine is also the "Countervibe" model. Loads of torque and cuts like crazy but is quite a workout due to the weight. Didn't bother me when I bought it in the early '80's!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts