Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My search skills are weak.
The front and rear of the X590's frame has slots for chains.
What is a good size chain to use here?
I am thinking I want to use a 2-3 foot long loop to connect to the frame with a clevis connected to my tow chain/strap so the load will be equal on both sides of the frame.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Can you post a picture of the slots as I'm not aware of any of the X300/X500's having slots for chains (they use the same frame). I suspect what you are seeing are cutouts for various attachments.

[edit - I found a decent photo of the rear of the X590]

The holes you see on the rear plate are for things like the bagger, accessory bucket, Car Go attached sprayer and spreader, etc.

X590_holes.jpg

If you want to pull on something it is best to use the trailer mount hole on the horizontal flange at the bottom.

Reactions: darkrt

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
A or B?

X5_frame.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Can you post a picture of the slots as I'm not aware of any of the X300/X500's having slots for chains (they use the same frame). I suspect what you are seeing are cutouts for various attachments.

[edit - I found a decent photo of the rear of the X590]

The holes you see on the rear plate are for things like the bagger, accessory bucket, Car Go attached sprayer and spreader, etc.

View attachment 607794

If you want to pull on something it is best to use the trailer mount hole on the horizontal flange at the bottom.
I agree, pull from the towing hole the factory supplied.

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
B
I read that using these holes/slots are the design location when pulling with a chain.
They are also located on the front weight mount.
I've never seen mention of that. But then again, there's plenty of stuff I've never read. :) Seems odd they would put tow chain holes on the X300/X500 garden tractors but none on any of the SCUT/CUT tractors. ;-)

Those holes on the sides at the rear I believe are for the Integral Hitch add-on.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Those holes on the sides at the rear I believe are for the Integral Hitch add-on.
Integral hitch mounts using the holes located forward and below the keyhole slots (B) in diagram using 2 big bolts with sleeves and large retaining washer.

I guess the keyhole slots could be used for a chain, but after looking at my x580, it would appear they are too far forward of the back of the rear tires, along with not much clearance. You would be restricted to almost dead-on straight pulling using the rear.

The keyhole slots are also on the front bumper as shown here:
x5xx Front Bumper.JPG

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
You guys might be right but it just doesn't make sense why JD would go to all the trouble to put chain holes in the frame and then not mention it in ANY of the operator's manuals. The holes also don't seem to be in a very good position for chain use being that close to the tire and all it really limits the ability to turn. There's also no place for the extra chain to go other than dragging on the ground or wrapping around the axle.

I'm still voting NO on chains being the purpose of those holes. :)

Bolt a grab hook onto the tow flange and go nuts!

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
You guys might be right but it just doesn't make sense why JD would go to all the trouble to put chain holes in the frame and then not mention it in ANY of the operator's manuals. The holes also don't seem to be in a very good position for chain use being that close to the tire and all it really limits the ability to turn. There's also no place for the extra chain to go other than dragging on the ground or wrapping around the axle.

I'm still voting NO on chains being the purpose of those holes. :)

Bolt a grab hook onto the tow flange and go nuts!
Maybe there is a market for a clevis style pin on grab hook sized for small tractors ?? :dunno: (KennyD are you listening? make my "Royalty" payment could be $0.25/hook :gizmo:)

I have one for my large AG tractors (also nice for chaining the back on trailer) Just don't buy the one from HF, I easily broke theirs first time out :nunu:. I took it back and thought "Lifetime Warranty???" Nope only Hand Tools :banghead:. At least IIRCC it was only $10 or $15.
I think it's good for up to 3/8" chain :dunno: When I use 1/2" chain, with the 6415, I use a clevis and hook the chain back on itself.

I also vote no to hooking to the side of the frame. One picture looks like the chain is hitting the inside of the rear tire :dunno:. My luck, I would pull my frame out of square :banghead:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts