Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about putting on chains for the winter. Used for driveway primarily. But, the original JD tires have large cleats, and many of the chains probably will fall into the cleats making them ineffective. Have you all used chains on this tractor, or have you found just the tires were sufficient.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have a set of JD chains i bought before an impending blizzard a couple years back.
I find them very effective. Especially when you get some ice that forms between storms. Some cross links fall down between treads but not enough make them useless.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I used chains on my 1025R with R4 tire. They work very well. I do recommend them.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Chains on R-4's is a non issue.

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
The JD 1-series chains that I've seen are 2-link and ride nicely on top of the lugs on the R4 tires.

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
I was thinking about putting on chains for the winter. Used for driveway primarily. But, the original JD tires have large cleats, and many of the chains probably will fall into the cleats making them ineffective. Have you all used chains on this tractor, or have you found just the tires were sufficient.
Thanks in advance.
timothy--we here at GTT have a chain loving expert of no other kind, :lol: his wisdom is none matched by no other man alive.:laugh: :flag_of_truce:he has pics galore of his machines chained up in ALL SEASONS of the YEAR:mocking: his name is gizmo2-my hero:good2: u won't have any trouble with a set of chains on ur machine for the wintertime. even i run chains on r-4's here where i live for the winter. makes life a lot nicer, just make sure u get a good set of chain tenisoner's to hold ur chains on while working it. good luck:hi:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Chains help a lot on the r4s on my 1026r. I find my 1026 just about useless on ice and hard packed snow without chains. With chains I seldom need to use 4wd for snow removal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tensioners ?

timothy--we here at GTT have a chain loving expert of no other kind, :lol: his wisdom is none matched by no other man alive.:laugh: :flag_of_truce:he has pics galore of his machines chained up in ALL SEASONS of the YEAR:mocking: his name is gizmo2-my hero:good2: u won't have any trouble with a set of chains on ur machine for the wintertime. even i run chains on r-4's here where i live for the winter. makes life a lot nicer, just make sure u get a good set of chain tenisoner's to hold ur chains on while working it. good luck:hi:
Don't chains come with tensioners ? IF not, does JD sell them ? If not, then where did you buy yours ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Thanks in advance.
That just won't happen! The way the tire cleats are arraigned no crosschain can be entirely down between them. My dealer told me I wouldn't "need chains" with the 4wd... First time out plowing I just about got back up the driveway again after the first pass and had to finish the driveway with my chained up 2WD GX335 garden tractor w/blower.

You won't have a bit of trouble with this necessary investment, even with a backhoe subframe if you have one. My 1026 stays chained up from late Fall to end of snow season. :good2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have used chains on my 1st JD 210, GT235 and now my 1026R (all turf tires). I would not be without them using the snowblower. As for the unsecured links on the inside of the tires, I use zip ties to tie them back to the side chains. Make sure you secure them the opposite direction of the forward rotation. I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
On ice and snow, there is nothing that comes close to chains. That said, I didn't even need mine last winter with my 54" snowblower and an empty ballast box, with r4 tires. But I had them in the shop waiting in case I needed them...

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
chain tenisoners

Don't chains come with tensioners ? IF not, does JD sell them ? If not, then where did you buy yours ?

Thanks in advance.
here is where u can get a set of them-ok i just copied and pasted from tractor supply, the price was $6.99 a piece. or u can go to tirechain.com-lots of them their to look at. good luck.

Security Chain Company ATV Tire Chain Tighteners
SKU #114434499

Available:
In Stores

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,800 Posts
Rears only...

DSC_0053.jpg

Both front and rear...

photo1.jpg

There are two kinds of people, people that have chains and people that wish they had chains.:lol:

chain tensioners, I've used bungee cord for over 28 years.

·
Registered
23,048 Posts
There are two kinds of people, people that have chains and people that wish they had chains.:lol:
Yup!

Tire chains are a part of life where I live. We get frequent freezing rain storms plus have lots of steep hills. I guess if a person has a flat paved driveway this isn't the case so much.

I'm talking about chains on all 4s on our 4-wheel drive vehicles where we used to live. 8 miles of dirt road on the north side of the mountain (no sun in the winter). Many times with chains on all 4's and still getting wishy-washy on the road - look in the mirror and see no marks on the ice from the chains at all. Now that is scary!

So we starting using chains which always gave you some bite - a criss-cross pattern I guess. With regular cross chains you can easily have just the tire touching the ice instead of the cross chain. We needed chains to steer and stop as much as for traction to get going. So this is the type of chains we had for our vehicles.

$T2eC16RHJIQE9qUHsjyKBRqybyzf)Q--_32.JPG

I have a steep driveway. When buying chains for my tractor, because of the experiences we had stated above, I wanted a tire chain that would always have contact. I opted for the Aqualine chains. Perfect solution for me plus they are very low profile - don't even feel them when running on hard frozen ground.

aquiline-mpc-tractor-chain-large.jpg

Aquiline Tire Chains

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Rears only...

Both front and rear...

There are three kinds of people, people that have chains and people that wish they had chains and people who refuse to use chains on a 4WD.:lol:

chain tensioners, I've used bungee cord for over 28 years.
Fixed it. I knew that is what you wanted to say.:laugh:

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Levi

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Imagine how embarrassed I am. Here I thought you got a 7000 series tractor when I seen this pic. because I just knew you were 7' tall. Then I seen where it says that's a 2320. You must be about what...5'5"? Boy, how embarrassed am I?! :hide::hide2::creep::doorclose: :laugh:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yup!

Tire chains are a part of life where I live. We get frequent freezing rain storms plus have lots of steep hills. I guess if a person has a flat paved driveway this isn't the case so much.

I'm talking about chains on all 4s on our 4-wheel drive vehicles where we used to live. 8 miles of dirt road on the north side of the mountain (no sun in the winter). Many times with chains on all 4's and still getting wishy-washy on the road - look in the mirror and see no marks on the ice from the chains at all. Now that is scary!

So we starting using chains which always gave you some bite - a criss-cross pattern I guess. With regular cross chains you can easily have just the tire touching the ice instead of the cross chain. We needed chains to steer and stop as much as for traction to get going. So this is the type of chains we had for our vehicles.

View attachment 246681

I have a steep driveway. When buying chains for my tractor, because of the experiences we had stated above, I wanted a tire chain that would always have contact. I opted for the Aqualine chains. Perfect solution for me plus they are very low profile - don't even feel them when running on hard frozen ground.

View attachment 246689

Aquiline Tire Chains
Where do you buy the chains? The website seems to be for dealers.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,800 Posts

·
Registered
23,048 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts